Can someone answer this question for me please? (1 Viewer)

Wehmer

HSC
We had a lady come into our school from BoS, to try and answer our questions about how subjects were scaled and so on. However, she seems to have left more questions than she answered. One thing she spoke about had me packing it though. I'm not sure if I completely understood her, but this is what it sounded like:

Person A is going really good in General Maths, and comes first in the year before the HSC. Person B struggles throughout the year, but still manages to get within the top 5.

In the preparation for the HSC, Person B studies excessively, while Person A takes it relatively easy. Person B, due to his study, gets the best General Maths HSC mark out of everyone in his school, but because Person A came first before the HSC, he also receives the first placed HSC mark.

This is what she seemed to be implying and all I could do was stare blankly at her. I had comprehensively ****ed up my Biology mark throughout the year, and had been studying for days to get a good Bio HSC mark, due to it being worth 50% of our mark. But then I hear that if I get the third best mark in the year, the person who came third in the class gets my mark, and I get the persons who came fifth last in the exam. This seems like something stupid, and I'm hoping I terribly misunderstood whatever she said.

If someone could shed some light on this situation, I'd be very happy (or conversely neck myself, depending on whether or not my understanding of the situation is correct or not).

ltewierik90

HSC
The highest exam mark will go to the person ranked first, while the lowest exam mark will be given to the person who is ranked last within your class. Everyone in between has there marks adjusted to fit within the range.

karnage

HSC
The person thats ranked first will get the highest hsc mark as their internal mark.

You keep your external mark, so if you come first in bio, the exam mark is yours.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Thats kind of correct

When you get your results you get three marks - HSC mark, assessment mark and an average of the two, which is your overall mark in that subject that contributes to your UAI.

Your HSC mark will always be what you scored after it has been aligned. So if for example in biology, in the external exam you went well and got a 90 aligned, that is your HSC mark.

But you say you did shit internally. If you were 5th last, and in the HSC the 5th last person gets an aligned mark of 70, that will become your assessment mark (although it may vary from 70 a little, due to the complex process of moderation, but lets just say its 70 for the simplicity of it)

Then, your overall mark is the average of 90 and 70, which is 80, which becomes your overall mark for biology.

timmiejay

HSC
Wehmer said:
We had a lady come into our school from BoS, to try and answer our questions about how subjects were scaled and so on. However, she seems to have left more questions than she answered. One thing she spoke about had me packing it though. I'm not sure if I completely understood her, but this is what it sounded like:

Person A is going really good in General Maths, and comes first in the year before the HSC. Person B struggles throughout the year, but still manages to get within the top 5.

In the preparation for the HSC, Person B studies excessively, while Person A takes it relatively easy. Person B, due to his study, gets the best General Maths HSC mark out of everyone in his school, but because Person A came first before the HSC, he also receives the first placed HSC mark.

This is what she seemed to be implying and all I could do was stare blankly at her. I had comprehensively ****ed up my Biology mark throughout the year, and had been studying for days to get a good Bio HSC mark, due to it being worth 50% of our mark. But then I hear that if I get the third best mark in the year, the person who came third in the class gets my mark, and I get the persons who came fifth last in the exam. This seems like something stupid, and I'm hoping I terribly misunderstood whatever she said.

If someone could shed some light on this situation, I'd be very happy (or conversely neck myself, depending on whether or not my understanding of the situation is correct or not).
Yeah the woman is correct.
Ill give you a scenario; see if you understand, if not just pm me.

RANDOM HIGH SCHOOL

INTERNAL (school assessments)
1. Jack 95
2. Jill 93
3. Tool 91
4. Tim 90
5. Tam 65

EXTERNAL (HSC exam)

1. Tam 95
2. Jill 93
3. Jack 91
4. Tim 90
5. Tool 89

Let's take Tam's case for example. quite clearly, he SCREWED UP in the internal (like you did for bio). However in the external he came first with a mark of 95. Thus he will keep his mark of 95. We know that the final mark is internal +external divided by 2. (int+ext/2) Tam came 5th in his internal. So his other 50% will be comprised of the mark of whoever came 5th in the external, that is tool who got 89. So tam's final mark will be 95 (his hsc mark) + tool's mark of 89 (since tam came 5th in the internal, he will get the 5th external mark)
therefore 95+89/2 which = 92. So tam's final mark will be 92 regardless of his internal mark being 65. It's all about how well your people at your school go in the HSC to pull you up. That's why they send notes and stuff so your WHOLE cohort can do better. Because the other half of your mark will be someone elses.

Wehmer

HSC
timmiejay said:
Yeah the woman is correct.
Ill give you a scenario; see if you understand, if not just pm me.

RANDOM HIGH SCHOOL

INTERNAL (school assessments)
1. Jack 95
2. Jill 93
3. Tool 91
4. Tim 90
5. Tam 65

EXTERNAL (HSC exam)

1. Tam 95
2. Jill 93
3. Jack 91
4. Tim 90
5. Tool 89

Let's take Tam's case for example. quite clearly, he SCREWED UP in the internal (like you did for bio). However in the external he came first with a mark of 95. Thus he will keep his mark of 95. We know that the final mark is internal +external divided by 2. (int+ext/2) Tam came 5th in his internal. So his other 50% will be comprised of the mark of whoever came 5th in the external, that is tool who got 89. So tam's final mark will be 95 (his hsc mark) + tool's mark of 89 (since tam came 5th in the internal, he will get the 5th external mark)
therefore 95+89/2 which = 92. So tam's final mark will be 92 regardless of his internal mark being 65. It's all about how well your people at your school go in the HSC to pull you up. That's why they send notes and stuff so your WHOLE cohort can do better. Because the other half of your mark will be someone elses.
That's disappointing, because most of the kids at my school are pretty stupid, no offence to them (I count myself in that category as well baha). Ahh well, we'll see what happens I spose. I should have applied myself more during the year, I spose.

Wehmer

HSC
brettpeacock90 said:
what happends if for example you come equal with other people within your yr?
I guess then it wouldn't matter who's mark you got then >_> Unless you're talking about internal mark, which could lead to some confusion.

Katieeee

HSC
In Biology, me and two others were submitted equal first because our assessment marks overall were only 0.1 apart. So supposedly we get the average of all three of our exams marks as our assessment marks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Please note - except for first and last (assuming no ties) the other marks are NOT necessarily the same as the exam marks.

i.e. second internal doesn't necessarily get the exact mark earned by the second exam mark as their assessment mark.

They have to do a few things - one ensure the range of marks is the same - so first and last marks are determined by the range earned in the exam, two - keep the total number of marks between assessment and exam the same for the class - three keep the relative gaps between the ranks so that if there is a 5 mark gap between first and second on internals then they will keep close to that gap based on the external and not blindly give the second exam mark to the second rank e.g. how would it be far if there was a 10 mark gap between first and second on internals but only 1 on externals for that to reflect the year's work.

If their are ties they do all of the above and then take the two marks that relate to the tie - say 4th and 5th and then simply average those two marks and give that average as the internal mark. Last year that happened to my top two students who I couldn't separate so they got the average of students 1 and 2 as their assessment mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)