Can someone give me any advice on getting into aerospace engineering with a low atar? (1 Viewer)

Michaelleroy

HSC
In case if I don't get a good atar >60 what is the most quickest route of getting into aerospace engineering course in any uni in Australia?

I'de appreciate any advice thanks?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Re: Can someone give me any advice on getting into aerospace engineering with a low a

what maths and other subjects do you do?

generally you can't get into engineering with a low atar; unless it's like UWS but iirc they don't have aerospace

Michaelleroy

HSC
Re: Can someone give me any advice on getting into aerospace engineering with a low a

General maths and physics.. There must be another way. UWS doesn't have aerospace, but they have engineering(mechanical)

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

General maths and physics.. There must be another way. UWS doesn't have aerospace, but they have engineering(mechanical)
To be honest, general math is going to be a bigger issue than getting into engo.

HSC

Extension 1 maths is assumed knowledge. You're going to struggle with the maths involved in engineering.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

Well you said aerospace explicitly but if we're talking in general terms; an electrical engineer even a chemical engineer can still do "aerospace stuff" because they still need them to calculate fuel and do wiring, etc

To be honest, general math is going to be a bigger issue than getting into engo.
this. 3U is the assumed and you will need to catch up on a lot

emilios

HSC

With respect to what's been said though, OP didn't mention getting in DIRECTLY. Even though he/she does General, there's surely some alternative pathway they could take e.g. transferring in from another course in 2nd year or even doing a Mech undergrad at UWS and then a masters in aerospace somewhere else (not sure if that exists, haven't done my hw)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

With respect to what's been said though, OP didn't mention getting in DIRECTLY. Even though he/she does General, there's surely some alternative pathway they could take e.g. transferring in from another course in 2nd year or even doing a Mech undergrad at UWS and then a masters in aerospace somewhere else (not sure if that exists, haven't done my hw)
now that I read it properly and thoroughly; OP said "most quickest route of getting into aerospace engineering course in any uni in Australia". I took this to mean he wanted to get into aerospace engineering

but anyways; ANY engineering major has high levels of maths. Doing general doesn't even scratch the surface (maybe error and that's about it).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

this. 3U is the assumed and you will need to catch up on a lot
This. You will definitely need to do a lot of work for maths. At UWS I was told that you "could" go into engineering with only year 10 maths but I'm skeptical as to the intentions of why this lecturer told everyone that.

Well you said aerospace explicitly but if we're talking in general terms; an electrical engineer even a chemical engineer can still do "aerospace stuff" because they still need them to calculate fuel and do wiring, etc
This too. However I think OP is referring to actual aerospace as in the specifics to do with planes.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

This. You will definitely need to do a lot of work for maths. At UWS I was told that you "could" go into engineering with only year 10 maths but I'm skeptical as to the intentions of why this lecturer told everyone that.
year 10 maths will NOT suffice. A part of engineering as I am finding out is differential and integral calculus which was not learnt in year 10 (unless you go to James Ruse :p ) or that that teach you everything from scratch once you enter uni but then the degree would take longer?

This too. However I think OP is referring to actual aerospace as in the specifics to do with planes.
OP was unclear and ambiguous so I don't exactly know what s/he is asking and 'emilios' said something about it so I threw it in there for good measure

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

year 10 maths will NOT suffice. A part of engineering as I am finding out is differential and integral calculus which was not learnt in year 10 (unless you go to James Ruse :p ) or that that teach you everything from scratch once you enter uni but then the degree would take longer?
No I meant as in that lecturer advertised that UWS teaches you from the ground up (like basic algebra from 2U prelim probs). Not sure whether he was advertising to get more people to come to UWS or if he was telling the truth though.

OP was unclear and ambiguous so I don't exactly know what s/he is asking and 'emilios' said something about it so I threw it in there for good measure
Well it was well said any way :)

Michaelleroy

HSC

Sorry, I was referring to actual aerospace with planes and spacecraft, as for maths I could catch up(even though it sounds unbelievable). So UWS Engineering mechanical then transfer?

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Sorry, I was referring to actual aerospace with planes, as for maths I could catch up(even though it sounds unbelievable). So UWS Engineering mechanical then transfer?
Should be fine if you put in the hard yards in first year.

Just make sure you get into a uni for engineering though.

I'm not sure about your circumstances but maybe you can consider University of Wollongong for early round offers. To be honest, from what I have seen they gave a lot of people I know who ended up with 70-ish ATAR's an early offer before they even touched a HSC exam. If you have the chance to go for it, well then, go for it !!!

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

Sorry, I was referring to actual aerospace with planes and spacecraft, as for maths I could catch up(even though it sounds unbelievable). So UWS Engineering mechanical then transfer?
sure why not

Michaelleroy

HSC

How many people do you think get in UWS engineering with an Atar less than the cut off?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

How many people do you think get in UWS engineering with an Atar less than the cut off?
plenty. I know someone who got into UWS civ engo with a mystery mark, mind you he did have a lot going on in his HSC but he got there in the end and is doing well

Michaelleroy

HSC

Awesome, what GPA would you think I would need to get for Aerospace @ UNSW if the Atar is around 91 and what are the chances of getting in?

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad

All of the people who apply, they don't give any fucks about atar basically, it's UWS.

Michaelleroy

HSC

Thanks guys for helping, appreciate it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

UNSW internal transfers for engineering require roughly 65+ WAM (exception of BEME or Commerce/Engineering).

However external transfers are something different so I'm not too sure on the mark requirements sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)