Can someone tell me how to get rid of this virus? (7 Viewers)

michaeljennings

HSC
Well Apparently the boot-time scan found a worm virus, I tried to delete it by telling avast to do it, and about after the 8th try it actually worked, but the whole scan ended with it o_O. So now I had to start the scan again.

Honestly sometimes you don't even think your computer has a virus, but they still lurk around in the background, some even take snapshots of your work and send it back to the hacker, sneaky little things. And 1 scan is definitely not enough if you find several viruses after a full scan. Worms are self replicating and spread very fast, also very hard to catch by virus scanners.

I'm considering doing a format. It's the best way to entirely clean out a system. MSE isn't the best, but it's alright, it's sort of like windows defender with real-time security.

btw to the OP, what OS are you using on the infected computer?
I got no idea what operating system mine is all i can say it is windows vista i dont know much else? (im noob with computers) BTW when i log on it says windows defender is OFF and when i click ON a pop up says "Windows defender cannot be switched on" wtf?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I was getting a log saying 74 files were infected. And the process smss.exe was involved. But apparently that's an essential system file. I looked it up and some say it's a virus.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Okay I can confirm after about 5 - 6 different scans, I have cleared the virus out completely (for now). IE is working fine, all buttons go to their correct links. Yeah the boot-time scan found a lot of shit. It wasn't even letting me delete them or 'send to chest', as it kept saying "Object is not located there" or "Object name already exists" So after I had to boot back into the OS, and take action to delete all of them from avast log. Happy day :)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Lolwtf, Malware Bytes shouldn't interact with an anti-virus program, it's a Malware scanner on demand, not a real-time virus scanner.

Also, half the crap you guys are recommending is absolute junk. Comodo Firewall and Anti-virus is pretty much the best firewall and virus scan package. (The firewall beats out pretty much all competitors except for Online Armour which is too restrictive anyway.)

It is quite possible some registry files are messed up so a reformat is the best fix, despite losing all files. Comodo Anti-virus and Firewall and Malware Bytes should be all you need combined with safe browsing habits(Aka not being a fucking retard.) All of which are free, all of the best security suites/virus scanners are free.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I laugh at all the responses ^_^

I cannot determine the exact problem without a log of some-sort but the following will provide you will enough instructions.

If it only occurs in firefox you should run GooredFix as it looks and removes corrupt extensions known to cause redirects in firefox:

Download GooredFix from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2
  • Ensure all Firefox windows are closed.
  • To run the tool, double-click it (XP), or right-click and select Run As Administrator (Vista).
  • When prompted to run the scan, click Yes.
  • GooredFix will check for infections, and then a log will appear.

--

Other option it is a TDL variant (which is a rootkit but not a major one known to cause redirects). In that case run Combofix:

Download Combofix from any of the links below. You must rename it before saving it. Save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save Combo-Fix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
  • See this Link for programs that need to be disabled and instruction on how to disable them.
  • Remember to re-enable them when we're done.

• Double click on Combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you.

*If there is no internet connection when Combofix has completely finished then restart your computer to restore back the connections.

----

Finally check your MBRcode as it may have been altered by the trojan if it was a TDL variant:

Download MBRCheck.exe to your desktop.
  • Be sure to disable your security programs
  • Double click on the file to run it (Vista and Windows 7 users will have to confirm the UAC prompt)
  • A small window should open on your desktop
  • if an unknown bootcode is found you will have further options available to you, at this time press N then press Enter twice.
  • If nothing unusual is found just press Enter
  • A .txt file named MBRCheck_mm.dd.yy_hh.mm.ss should appear on your deskop.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Lolwtf, Malware Bytes shouldn't interact with an anti-virus program, it's a Malware scanner on demand, not a real-time virus scanner.

Also, half the crap you guys are recommending is absolute junk. Comodo Firewall and Anti-virus is pretty much the best firewall and virus scan package. (The firewall beats out pretty much all competitors except for Online Armour which is too restrictive anyway.)

It is quite possible some registry files are messed up so a reformat is the best fix, despite losing all files. Comodo Anti-virus and Firewall and Malware Bytes should be all you need combined with safe browsing habits(Aka not being a fucking retard.) All of which are free, all of the best security suites/virus scanners are free.
1. It is MalwareBytes Anti-malware.
2. It is a real time anti-malware scanner if the full version is purchased.
3. The 'best' firewall and anti-virus is subjective. Different suites are better for different types of computer users. Next year the 'best' now may just be the crappiest next year. I go with ESET NOD32 and no firewall (just windows).
4. The best are not always free.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
1. It is MalwareBytes Anti-malware.
2. It is a real time anti-malware scanner if the full version is purchased.
3. The 'best' firewall and anti-virus is subjective. Different suites are better for different types of computer users. Next year the 'best' now may just be the crappiest next year. I go with ESET NOD32 and no firewall (just windows).
4. The best are not always free.
Yeah, I shortened it. What's the problem?

And yes, but he hasn't got the paid version, just the free one. Context, fuck.

You're obviously not aware that Comodo Internet Security(this includes defense+ which is internal networks and the virus scanner) is consistently number 1 on all independent tests or at least equal 1st, which is normally with Online Armour(which is why I mentioned it in my previous post and why I have used it in the past.) It has been number 1 since 2008. And it is currently the only security package to score 100% on Matousec's intrusion tests.

In security 9 times out of 10 the most secure are the free suites. Avira, Avast, formerly AVG always score highly in independent tests and that's just using the free copy. Yes, you can get paid versions but for the average user the free version is more than enough.

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
Alright this is really doing my head in...

As i mentioned earlier my computer wasnt reading USBs or CDs

However I started up by computer and everything was working fine and then i realised i had not plugged the internet cable in. I put in a usb which was read by the computer and i put in the original installation CD thing and it was also read.

Then i thought i would try plugging in the internet cable which i did and restarted my computer. Now USBs and CDs could not be read and the internet wasnt working either. Just to be sure I unplugged the cable and put the cable into my laptop and everything on the laptop was working fine even the internet

So my question is how come plugging in the internet to my computer is causing it to be unresponsive however when i plug the same cable into my laptop all is good on the laptop?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Alright this is really doing my head in...

As i mentioned earlier my computer wasnt reading USBs or CDs

However I started up by computer and everything was working fine and then i realised i had not plugged the internet cable in. I put in a usb which was read by the computer and i put in the original installation CD thing and it was also read.

Then i thought i would try plugging in the internet cable which i did and restarted my computer. Now USBs and CDs could not be read and the internet wasnt working either. Just to be sure I unplugged the cable and put the cable into my laptop and everything on the laptop was working fine even the internet

So my question is how come plugging in the internet to my computer is causing it to be unresponsive however when i plug the same cable into my laptop all is good on the laptop?
Conflicting hardware/drivers?

(More a question for the others)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Open up a command prompt by going run->cmd

Then type "ping google.com" when you're plugged into the Internet paste what comes up here.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Lolz, they'll just reformat it and charge you heaps.

michaeljennings

HSC
Alright just got my computer back lol after however many weeks it was seems like ages ago. They replaced the graphics card and reformated the computer. Does anyone know how the graphics card would have broken?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Alright just got my computer back lol after however many weeks it was seems like ages ago. They replaced the graphics card and reformated the computer. Does anyone know how the graphics card would have broken?
It doesn't have to be broken for it to be replaced. Maybe they just put a better one in.

michaeljennings

HSC
It doesn't have to be broken for it to be replaced. Maybe they just put a better one in.
ohhh. I still dont understand cos they pretty much said the virus had nothing to do with it but the computer only stopped working properly once i had scanned the computer and uninstalled google chrome?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
4chan archive has a bunch of stuff but really, you need to browse the site to have an idea how it works first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)