can you chill once you get accepted into a course (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Double degree is different to what honours is. A double degree is where you do two degrees from different areas. Honours is an extra year on a degree where you do some project and produce a thesis. These projects vary depending on the type of subject area you are doing, in sciences like bio, chem, physics, it would be an individual research project and in some other degrees they you might have a pair working on something.

The amount of commitment and time needed will vary based on each degree. For me personally it's been quite demanding because for a chemistry honours you need to go to the lab mon-fri, so you are at uni every weekday, so in my case basically all the time is dedicated to uni itself. For other honours programs where you don't have to be at uni and can do the work in your own time then I guess it would be a little less demanding in terms of the schedule.
Have you encountered anyone who has done a double degree with a honours and some normal degree Like e.g Hon. in Physics/Computer Science (Normal) or is that a really rare minority.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Have you encountered anyone who has done a double degree honours? Like e.g Hon. in Physics/Computer Science or is that a really rare minority.
I personally haven't. But I don't think you can do two honours for different degrees at the same time, because it's basically like doing a full time job in terms of the time requirements. So if you were doing something like that you would be probably doing them in separate years or only doing honours for one of those

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I personally haven't. But I don't think you can do two honours for different degrees at the same time, because it's basically like doing a full time job in terms of the time requirements.
My bad, I phrased it poorly. I meant like doing a regular degree such as Computer Science with a honours degree like in Physics or Maths. I saw some combinations in the degree finder for UNSW but I wanted to know if it would be better off just doing one degree alone even if you have interest in both fields.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
My bad, I phrased it poorly. I meant like doing a regular degree such as Computer Science with a honours degree like in Physics or Maths. I saw some combinations in the degree finder for UNSW but I wanted to know if it would be better off just doing one degree alone even if you have interest in both fields.
Oh, that's a different kind of question then, which is more about what is the benefit or cons of doing double degree. I didn't personally do a double degree so can't really say how it would be like

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Oh, that's a different kind of question then, which is more about what is the benefit or cons of doing double degree. I didn't personally do a double degree so can't really say how it would be like
Oh Okay, thanks anyways.

icycledough

HSC
Oh nice, good to hear that. I have an inquiry for the actuarial degree, do you just learn the economics/commerce component for only the first year and just do majority of statistics/mathematics after that or is it an equal mix of business and mathematics throughout the whole degree? I've seen a bit of the content in actuarial studies and it seems cool such as the modelling you do and the topic of statistics you learn.
I haven't got all the information off the top of my head, but I can attach a copy of the handbook for actuarial with commerce (the degree I'm doing). Obviously, you can search up whatever actuarial degree you want to. It's the most recent link which goes into the degree structure for next year

quickoats

HSC
Oh nice, good to hear that. I have an inquiry for the actuarial degree, do you just learn the economics/commerce component for only the first year and just do majority of statistics/mathematics after that or is it an equal mix of business and mathematics throughout the whole degree? I've seen a bit of the content in actuarial studies and it seems cool such as the modelling you do and the topic of statistics you learn.
Actuarial studies deviates off into actuarial science which is classified as its own field. It is more closely related to statistics than mathematics.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Is your question in terms of UNSW specifically?

I will try to answer using the WSU perspective. WSU offers a double degree, one of which has an Honours component, being a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) combined with a Bachelor of Business. As a business student, I have encountered people studying both degrees (particularly during this semester), meaning this particular combination isn't rare at WSU. UNSW offers the same program, and being a university with a student base that is generally considered to be academically capable, I would assume such a combination isn't any different in terms of popularity. I would also believe that the same applies to the specific example you gave, meaning undertaking such programs is probably something that is not considered rare, irrespective of the actual degrees.

that's a different kind of question then, which is more about what is the benefit or cons of doing double degree
Whether you should study a single degree or a double degree will depend on your interests, your ability to handle and perform well across both degrees given the increasing content and, more importantly, your career aspirations.

Advantages of studying a double degree include:
  • You receive two degrees upon graduation, potentially allowing for more job opportunities than you would have access to with a single degree.
  • Allows you to fulfil your study interests, particularly if there is a combination that specifically matches your interests.
  • You can manage your study load the same way you would in a single degree. The notion that studying a double degree can be overwhelming may not necessarily apply. For example, you may choose to take business units in one semester, and engineering units in another.
Disadvantages of studying a double degree include:
  • The purpose of studying a double degree can be questionable if your career aspiration is only linked to one of the degrees that you're studying.
  • While you are able to manage your study load in a way that doesn't make it overwhelming, a double degree takes more time to complete than a single degree because you'll be completing units from both degrees as opposed to units from one degree in the case of a single degree. Using the WSU double degree example I've given above, completing a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) combined with a Bachelor of Business will take 5 years full time. On the other hand, completing a Bachelor of Business on its own or a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) on its own will take 3 years full time and 4 years full time respectively.
I hope this helps! :D

dasfas

HSC
so i’ve heard that passing classes is sufficient once you get to uni, and get into ur course, is that true?

also

next year i don’t want to revolve my life around studying, because that’s what this year was for. there are so many other life experiences that i want to prioritise over getting good grades.

but i’ve heard from other people that you need to get like high distinctions to be employable? or is that just for competitive courses?

tbh my life vision changes everyday, so yeah i’m one of ‘those people’, but anyways you get what i mean thanks bye
Definitely not, uni grades are far more important than your HSC because they will be a huge influence on what sorts of jobs you'll be competitive for, and whether you will be able to pursue postgrad

HD marks means you will have a super easy time getting interviews. I know people who send out hundreds of job applications for a single interview. But with high marks, you get WAY more interview offers.

Sorry, but uni isn't a time to chill out and drop the ball. That said, you will be studying courses you actually enjoy, so it shouldn't be too difficult to work hard.

thanks everyone for the great advice!!

at the moment i’m considering taking psychology at USYD, and in hindsight, i think that i’ll aim for high credits which should give me the flexibility to engage in a range of other activities outside of my degree.

i think that my sudden minimalist mentality is just a reflection of the claustrophobia that i’m feeling (due to lockdown), but i probably shouldn’t set parameters for my future self.
If you're thinking of studying psychology, then this is one of the most important degrees to get high marks in. Psychology is the most commonn degree, so a ton of people graduate with it. If you want to become a clinical psychologist, you need AT LEAST 70 average mark to get into honours, and then you will need first class honours to be competitive for a masters, which is a pathway into becoming a clinical psychologist. If you don't make it into honours, then you're basically screwed as a) you won't be able to get into clinical psychology b) you've got a super common degree so you're not that employable

do you know how high?

whilst i primarily want to become a clinical psychologist, i’d also be rlly interested in doing niche research
You need good marks for research. You will want to get funded for your PhD. This requires a) evidence of research in undergrad b) high marks. This is super competitive.

Uhh this is unrelated and probably not required but out of curiosity, for those people who did a double degree in a STEM degree or honours, was it extremely hectic or was it reasonable? Did you have plenty time to relax and go out doing whatever you want or did you have to have a strict timetable and routine you would follow everyday and most of your time was dedicated to uni itself.
Tbh for me it feels like I'm working way harder than in the HSC. But, the good thing about uni is that we don't have carry over between semesters, so when you're on holidays, you don't need to be studying.

Have you encountered anyone who has done a double degree with a honours and some normal degree Like e.g Hon. in Physics/Computer Science (Normal) or is that a really rare minority.
Not a good idea, I don't even know if that's possible. If you want to combine the two, then pick a project that uses both.

Advantages of studying a double degree include:
  • You receive two degrees upon graduation, potentially allowing for more job opportunities than you would have access to with a single degree.
  • Allows you to fulfil your study interests, particularly if there is a combination that specifically matches your interests.
  • You can manage your study load the same way you would in a single degree. The notion that studying a double degree can be overwhelming may not necessarily apply. For example, you may choose to take business units in one semester, and engineering units in another.
Disadvantages of studying a double degree include:
  • The purpose of studying a double degree can be questionable if your career aspiration is only linked to one of the degrees that you're studying.
  • While you are able to manage your study load in a way that doesn't make it overwhelming, a double degree takes more time to complete than a single degree because you'll be completing units from both degrees as opposed to units from one degree in the case of a single degree. Using the WSU double degree example I've given above, completing a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) combined with a Bachelor of Business will take 5 years full time. On the other hand, completing a Bachelor of Business on its own or a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) on its own will take 3 years full time and 4 years full time respectively.
I hope this helps! :D
Yeah tbh a double degree is god tier imo, it doubles your empolyability options by only taking an extra year. Highly worth it.

quickoats

HSC
Yeah it’s not so uncommon common - people do a double degree (e.g. BSc [Phys] BCompSc) and choose to do an honours year in one of their domains.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Just as a general comment.
Uni is (or should be) different to school - you no longer have to do a broad range of subjects prescribed by someone else, nor half a dozen HSC subjects that you might have been somewhat interested in, but chose partly based on how they might be scaled for the ATAR.

You should choose your Uni course(s) based on your career aspirations and/or your interests. If you have an actual interest in the subject matter, studying probably won’t feel as much of a chore. Focus on understanding/mastering the subject material and the marks will likely follow. Even if the marks don’t automatically reflect your progress, the acquired knowledge and skills will stand you in good stead.

Hiheyhello

HSC
Definitely not, uni grades are far more important than your HSC because they will be a huge influence on what sorts of jobs you'll be competitive for, and whether you will be able to pursue postgrad

HD marks means you will have a super easy time getting interviews. I know people who send out hundreds of job applications for a single interview. But with high marks, you get WAY more interview offers.

Sorry, but uni isn't a time to chill out and drop the ball. That said, you will be studying courses you actually enjoy, so it shouldn't be too difficult to work hard.

If you're thinking of studying psychology, then this is one of the most important degrees to get high marks in. Psychology is the most commonn degree, so a ton of people graduate with it. If you want to become a clinical psychologist, you need AT LEAST 70 average mark to get into honours, and then you will need first class honours to be competitive for a masters, which is a pathway into becoming a clinical psychologist. If you don't make it into honours, then you're basically screwed as a) you won't be able to get into clinical psychology b) you've got a super common degree so you're not that employable

You need good marks for research. You will want to get funded for your PhD. This requires a) evidence of research in undergrad b) high marks. This is super competitive.

Tbh for me it feels like I'm working way harder than in the HSC. But, the good thing about uni is that we don't have carry over between semesters, so when you're on holidays, you don't need to be studying.

Not a good idea, I don't even know if that's possible. If you want to combine the two, then pick a project that uses both.

Yeah tbh a double degree is god tier imo, it doubles your empolyability options by only taking an extra year. Highly worth it.
well i’m choosing psych coz i’m genuinely nerdy about it and love learning ab it in my spare time, so i highly doubt that it’ll be a chore.

plus i’m pretty good at talking people through advice and empathising with them on an intuitive level, so i’d say i have the right personality.

i’m obviously going to work hard at my degree, but i’d rather prioritise social experiences, working, travelling and pursuing my hobbies. the study should just come naturally, and i don’t want it to detract from those. that’s because i’m very dissatisfied with how life consuming the HSC has been for me.
prioritising study has made me become very existential about it all, like i’m not gonna be young forever.

or perhaps i’m just delusional

dasfas

HSC
You're definitely not delusional - I completely agree with you.

Ultimately, it's a balance that you have to find yourself. But you can absolutely have both. Good luck with your exams :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
do cool shit on the side. start a business. write a blog. run a charity. direct a play. organise a trivia night.

your resume is the sum of your experiences. make it interesting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)