can you still get a good uai with standard english? (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
yup, last year's highest uai with english standard was 99.85

michael1990

HSC
Yes of course you can, its just said to be more difficult.
But a good UAI is easy to get with hard work.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yup. Nevertheless, I'd recommend you do Advanced.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Whats the main difference between Advanced and Extension 1? Is it a lot harder then advanced?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yes! It is 100% possible to get a good UAI with English (Standard). English (Standard) only counts for 20% of your UAI aggregate. As long as you perform well in the remaining 80%, you will get good UAI. Someone at my school last year got UAI of 99.45 with English (Standard) and he didn't even get good marks in that. (although he performed extremely well in other subjects)

In 2004, my school had a student who got 99.90 UAI who did English (Standard). (again, he performed extremely well in other subjects, because he came first in the state for Mathematics and Physics)

Both students didn't achieve Band 6 in English (Standard). They achieved low Band 5s but their UAIs are extremely high.

I can verify my information if you wish.

Gerald10

HSC
If you are capable of doing advanced I would highly recommend you do it.

Aznmichael92

HSC
i also know someone who got pretty reasonable for english standard like the low 70s? She ended up gettign uai of like 94/95

That was pretty good at her time, got you into alot of courses (2001).

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
TearsOfFire said:
Whats the main difference between Advanced and Extension 1? Is it a lot harder then advanced?
Extension 1 is a lot of extra work and you should only really do it if you have a passion for english (I learnt this the hard way, as I did english extension 1 in year 11 and I hate english). It involves a lot of private study (as you only have a few periods of class each week) and the texts are a higher calibre to that of advanced texts.

That said, the ee1 course is a lot more interesting than advanced, and you have more creative freedom. It also scales relatively well (but not as well as people often think).

But I have heard from quite a few people who have done 4 unit english and are doing 4 unit english that the only reason they did 3 unit is so they could do 4 unit, and would not have done 3 unit if they were not doing 4 unit, as it is not worth all the time and effort that they put in for a 1 unit subject.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
i also know someone who got pretty reasonable for english standard like the low 70s? She ended up gettign uai of like 94/95

That was pretty good at her time, got you into alot of courses (2001).
Wow, she must have done well in all her other subjects, because a low 70's in standard would really work against you (it is only a low band 4).

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
nerdsforever said:
well , can you still get a good mark doing standard english?
duh. This has been brought up how many times? Tis good to know you care tho.

Aznmichael92

HSC
midifile said:
Wow, she must have done well in all her other subjects, because a low 70's in standard would really work against you (it is only a low band 4).
yeap she did very well in other subjects

bawd

HSC
midifile said:
But I have heard from quite a few people who have done 4 unit english and are doing 4 unit english that the only reason they did 3 unit is so they could do 4 unit, and would not have done 3 unit if they were not doing 4 unit, as it is not worth all the time and effort that they put in for a 1 unit subject.
Hah! Yes, I'd love to do Advanced + EE2.

And yes, it is definitely possible to do well even if you're doing Standard and you're doing well. But, if you can do well in Standard, then you can do well in Advanced. :uhhuh: Like everybody has been saying, if English is not your best thing, just do well in your other subjects, and I mean well.

Someone please check my accuracy, but wasn't it only six people last year who got Band 6's in Standard? (this has been going around the grade for ages now, I'd just like to confirm)

Again, I strongly recommend Advanced, as it is likely you'll find it much more interesting than the Standard course. (And it's not as difficult as it sounds, just so long as you do your H/W)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)