Can you transfer from one year of uni into undergrad med? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
2011 - UMAT of 50th percentile, ATAR of 98.75 -> no Medicine due to poor UMAT score and did not apply to non-UMAT schools, namely JCU.
2012 - Entered into Advanced Science at UWS, achieved a GPA of 6.875 (surpassing the required 5.5 threshold), retook the UMAT and scored a extremely borderline score of 144 weighted (80th percentile). Luckily received an interview place due to the fact that I was an Advanced Sci student and thus had a lower UMAT requirement. Felt good about my performance in the interview and thankfully received an unbonded, main round place.
oh, also, I got:
UMAT - 2011: 69th percentile; 2012: 86th percentile
ATAR - 94.75 (estimated between 97.5 and 99 LOL)
GPA - 4.4ish???

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Where does it say this?

http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs
That link still breaks it up into GPA's after first year, semesters, multiple years etc.
It'd be preety bad news for med hopefuls who didn't surpass the ATAR threshold..
I thought the link I had was quite primitive! Yay thanks!

Must. Get. Transfer. Offer.
transferring into med isn't a thing.
Transfer implies credit for previous studies.

SunnyScience

HSC
oh, also, I got:
UMAT - 2011: 69th percentile; 2012: 86th percentile
ATAR - 94.75 (estimated between 97.5 and 99 LOL)
GPA - 4.4ish???
Tell me your secret. TELL ME IT. YOU ARE SOME KIND OF MED-TRANSFER*-GOD.

*not transfer - you know what I mean. :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Tell me your secret. TELL ME IT. YOU ARE SOME KIND OF MED-TRANSFER*-GOD.

*not transfer - you know what I mean. :p
I don't even know.

I'm naturally super duper logical so that helped with UMAT. The only reason I passed most of Uni is because I'm just so good at logically working things out with little info.
And I'm sociable and have ~morals~ so even though I thought I did terrible in the interview my terrible is most people's "that went ~alright~"
Also, having friends helps A LOT. Even if they don't go through 5 hours of talking on the phone the night before (thanks Bek), even if they didn't practice a few past papers here and there with you (thanks Vinh and Liam), just the support and encouragement (even discouragement) helps.

SunnyScience

HSC
I don't even know.

I'm naturally super duper logical so that helped with UMAT. The only reason I passed most of Uni is because I'm just so good at logically working things out with little info.
And I'm sociable and have ~morals~ so even though I thought I did terrible in the interview my terrible is most people's "that went ~alright~"
Also, having friends helps A LOT. Even if they don't go through 5 hours of talking on the phone the night before (thanks Bek), even if they didn't practice a few past papers here and there with you (thanks Vinh and Liam), just the support and encouragement (even discouragement) helps.

Several bricks dropped in my Stomach when you said Liam - I thought you were referring to me haha.

We sound like the same person, personality wise, then. :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Several bricks dropped in my Stomach when you said Liam - I thought you were referring to me haha.

We sound like the same person, personality wise, then. :p
Nahhh. Haha
He was probs my best mate in the last year of HS and was our captain and DUX and he's trying to get into med for next year. WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GET IN TOGETHER LIAM, I KEPT MY PART OF THE PROMISE!!!! :cry:

Nahhhh, you probs work harder. Lol

SunnyScience

HSC
Nahhh. Haha
He was probs my best mate in the last year of HS and was our captain and DUX and he's trying to get into med for next year. WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GET IN TOGETHER LIAM, I KEPT MY PART OF THE PROMISE!!!! :cry:

Nahhhh, you probs work harder. Lol

Probably. :p *modest hair flip*

There, there, Jarrod.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably. :p *modest hair flip*

There, there, Jarrod.
I don't see that as a bad thing.

I got into med with like barely any effort at all. I call that a win when I know that a lot of people work super hard and don't get in. (I also call it being super lucky)

SunnyScience

HSC
I don't see that as a bad thing.

I got into med with like barely any effort at all. I call that a win when I know that a lot of people work super hard and don't get in. (I also call it being super lucky)
If I don't get in, I will hunt you down.

But, nevertheless, congratulations.

Madridismo

HSC
Farken people who are so chilled at this shit and get in with next to no effort level of work :spzz:

Congrats again! >.>

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
And based on this you got an offer into UWS med?
for 2012 UMAT yep. ^_^
They took my ATAR not my GPA and I live in the area (down the road) so the ATAR needed was 93.5.
I also scored significantly higher in section 1 than the other sections (76) and UWS likes sections 1 and 2 more than 3.
So yay ^_^

Last edited:

Chronicole

HSC
for 2012 yep. ^_^
They took my ATAR not my GPA and I live in the area (down the road) so the ATAR needed was 93.5.
I also scored significantly higher in section 1 than the other sections (76) and UWS likes sections 1 and 2 more than 3.
So yay ^_^
Oh I see. Congrats! So 2013 is med for you. No more ranting about Usyd's engineering :p

Chronicole

HSC
yeah, I'll still rant though.
It was awful.
Lol.

So ultimately it was the UMAT which was most important? Did you do any preparation for this?
Also you said UWS doesn't look at GPA then what if you transferred 2nd or 3rd year, would they look at GPA then?

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
UMAT is almost always the deciding factor when it comes to receiving an interview.

Most interview invitations are based solely off UMAT (as GPA's and ATAR's are not yet released).
Furthermore, the majority of medical schools in NSW namely UNCLE and UWS only use the academic requirement as a threshold.

UWS does look at GPA once you've started your tertiary record - however if your ATAR has surpassed the cut-off, they will not consider your GPA (at least for first years, not sure about continued study).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)