Can you transfer from one year of uni into undergrad med? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol.

So ultimately it was the UMAT which was most important? Did you do any preparation for this?
Also you said UWS doesn't look at GPA then what if you transferred 2nd or 3rd year, would they look at GPA then?
I did one or two past papers with a friend really spread out and not timed.
So not really.
THEY DON'T LOOK AT YOUR GPA IF YOUR ATAR IS ALREADY ABOVE THE CUTOFF.
They look at the better of the two.

UMAT is almost always the deciding factor when it comes to receiving an interview.

Most interview invitations are based solely off UMAT (as GPA's and ATAR's are not yet released).
Furthermore, the majority of medical schools in NSW namely UNCLE and UWS only use the academic requirement as a threshold.

UWS does look at GPA once you've started your tertiary record - however if your ATAR has surpassed the cut-off, they will not consider your GPA (at least for first years, not sure about continued study).
it's as long as you haven't completed your degree.

ohmyjosh

HSC
Uni Grad
retook the UMAT and scored a extremely borderline score of 144 weighted (80th percentile).
Oh - also received an UNCLE/JMP interview invitation based off my UMAT scores: 61/53/60
oh, also, I got:
UMAT - 2011: 69th percentile; 2012: 86th percentile
Do either of you know the minimum percentile required, for an interview at UWS as a non-GWS student?
Recently moved out of GWS :(

Madridismo

HSC
It's not a minimum percentile that's the cut off but it's the "UWS weighted score" and I think it's 155. The UWS weighted score is calculated as such: (S1 + S2 + (S3/2))

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Do either of you know the minimum percentile required, for an interview at UWS as a non-GWS student?
Recently moved out of GWS :(
lol
Why would you do that?

Anyways it's not a percentile cutoff, it's a 1:1:0.5 ratio for the different sections. The lowest non-GWS I know of this year was 155.5 which is only 4 above the lowest GWS I saw.

The UMAT cutoff changes each year.

ohmyjosh

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for your help Madridismo and Riproot.
So if I'm not better at any section in particular, I should be aiming for at least 62 in each.

I had to move closer to work and uni, because travelling two hours each way was a pain.
Train and bus timetables didn't really link up well.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for your help Madridismo and Riproot.
So if I'm not better at any section in particular, I should be aiming for at least 62 in each.

I had to move closer to work and uni, because travelling two hours each way was a pain.
Train and bus timetables didn't really link up well.
You should aim to be better in section 1 and/or 2 for UWS.
With 62 in each you'll get 155 which afaik wouldn't have gotten you an interview this year if you weren't GWS.

I travelled 2 hours (each way) (sometimes longer) all last year, it's actually not that bad if you do work/sleep/music/etc.

bludging in med lol. u repeat/get kicked out.
Yeah... but also #yolo

sinan4life

HSC
aproximately how many people are there that do adv science and medical science at uws? so i know how difficult it is to get top 6.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
aproximately how many people are there that do adv science and medical science at uws? so i know how difficult it is to get top 6.
a few hundred???

I know that in the past there have been people with ATARs above 99 in there.

Dylanamali

HSC
a few hundred???

I know that in the past there have been people with ATARs above 99 in there.
Definitely not a few hundred.. i'd probably guess it to be around the 60-70 mark.
At Parramatta there were only about 20 kids doing adv sci.
And in terms of the ATARs of the students in the cohorts.. they aren't especially high.. majority are in the low 90's or even high 80's. It was actually rather rare for people to be above 98.. I only know two other students who were in my cohort.
But yeah, ATARs don't matter at all anyway.

In terms of competition.. it's really not that competitive. This is because, UWS has set it up so that it's basically solely ranked off of UMAT scores. The threshold GPA that you have to surpass to be eligible is only 5.5.. so i'd say 100% of adv sci kids surpass that. Once you've surpassed that, the top 6 candidates are those who have their UMAT scores closest (yet below) the standard cut-off. Because of this - competition is heavily reduced.. especially in comparison to UNSW Med Sci which more heavily focuses on the GPA.

Basically the worst case scenario is that the UMAT cut-off for the year is say 151.5 and 6 adv sci kids get 151.. which is highly unlikely.. your more likely to see what happened in my cohort which was something along the lines of:

151.5 CUT-OFF
144 (last of the 6)

But yeah - my year was an exception whereby the UMAT cut-off was actually relatively high even for Adv Sci students.
In past years I've known of students to get into the top 6 with around 70%ile and even lower UMATs.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely not a few hundred.. i'd probably guess it to be around the 60-70 mark.
At Parramatta there were only about 20 kids doing adv sci.
And in terms of the ATARs of the students in the cohorts.. they aren't especially high.. majority are in the low 90's or even high 80's. It was actually rather rare for people to be above 98.. I only know two other students who were in my cohort.
But yeah, ATARs don't matter at all anyway.

In terms of competition.. it's really not that competitive. This is because, UWS has set it up so that it's basically solely ranked off of UMAT scores. The threshold GPA that you have to surpass to be eligible is only 5.5.. so i'd say 100% of adv sci kids surpass that. Once you've surpassed that, the top 6 candidates are those who have their UMAT scores closest (yet below) the standard cut-off. Because of this - competition is heavily reduced.. especially in comparison to UNSW Med Sci which more heavily focuses on the GPA.

Basically the worst case scenario is that the UMAT cut-off for the year is say 151.5 and 6 adv sci kids get 151.. which is highly unlikely.. your more likely to see what happened in my cohort which was something along the lines of:

151.5 CUT-OFF
144 (last of the 6)

But yeah - my year was an exception whereby the UMAT cut-off was actually relatively high even for Adv Sci students.
In past years I've known of students to get into the top 6 with around 70%ile and even lower UMATs.
This is something to note; the competition in getting more fierce each year.

Dylanamali

HSC
This is something to note; the competition in getting more fierce each year.
Yeah - the reason for the increase in competition for my year was because of the introduction of the other advanced courses, namely advanced medical science and advanced natural science (although I don't think natural science compete for the 6 spots).

But yeah, this competition will only increase.. I'd say a lot more people are actually realising that UWS's Adv Sci scheme is actually the best pathway to Medicine.. already know about 10 students who contacted me just from BoS doing the course..

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah - the reason for the increase in competition for my year was because of the introduction of the other advanced courses, namely advanced medical science and advanced natural science (although I don't think natural science compete for the 6 spots).

But yeah, this competition will only increase.. I'd say a lot more people are actually realising that UWS's Adv Sci scheme is actually the best pathway to Medicine.. already know about 10 students who contacted me just from BoS doing the course..
Yeah, Adv Nat Sc isn't included in the stream.

It's not the best but it is probably the easiest of the pathways.
(Me too... I was like "I went to USyd... :/")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)