• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can you use pencil in the HSC Math exams to draw graphs? (1 Viewer)

Equilibrium1

HSC
Out of curiosity, can you use pencil to draw graphs in the HSC math exams or do you have to strictly use pens?

Thank you.

Shadowless

HSC
i thought we always used pencils to draw graphs... if anything i thought it was encouraged and penalties incurred if they weren't used? = /

deswa1

HSC
i thought we always used pencils to draw graphs... if anything i thought it was encouraged and penalties incurred if they weren't used? = /
Nah I always use pen for any test in any sub. First of all, pen is easier to read and mark. Also, pencil can get rubbed out by accident or become fainter etc. or even someone could rub it out and change your answer. It might make sense to draw a guide graph in pencil but I'd always draw the final thing in pen.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah I always use pen for any test in any sub. First of all, pen is easier to read and mark. Also, pencil can get rubbed out by accident or become fainter etc. or even someone could rub it out and change your answer. It might make sense to draw a guide graph in pencil but I'd always draw the final thing in pen.
+1. I used pencil a lot, but deswa1's points are correct. Also, you MUST use pencil for Phys/Chem diagrams though.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
bump, I heard from a retired hsc marker due to the exams being scanned pencil is now not allowed.

can anyone confirm?

albertcamus

HSC
For Phys/Chem nowadays coz of what you said^, do diagrams in pencil then trace over with pen das what my teacher said and he marks HSC

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Penalties for drawing with pen in my school. Very Severe Penalties. Yeah.

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
There is no "must" for stationary. It says on the front you may use black and blue pen. Black is preferred. But in HSC marking there is no penalty incurred for using any other coloured pen e.g. Pink. Just note that it may make marking harder and will annoy markers which you don't want to do. Plus my maths teacher who went to the seminar for HSC marking for mathematics said that the head marker there said that you are advised to draw graphs in pencil and then go over it in pen since exams are scanned now and it will be easier to see diagrams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)