Captains Club (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It really depends on what you want your SRC to do. Or more specifically, what you want done. I love quoting my past experiences - when my year wanted a senior study/leisure area (with a kitchen for making tea, coffee, a microwave, and beanbags), we asked the SRC to assist us in pushing the school to establish one. The SRC disagreed with the rest of us, saying we didn't need a special space. So we drew up our own proposal, outlined where there was a suitable classroom available (easily accessible, removed from other classrooms, with a sink and enough space to bring beanbags and stuff in), and gave it to the P&C. The fact it got rejected on the basis that they had other plans for the classroom is besides the point, as we took the initiative and made it possible.

Kessaaaaaaa

HSC
Captains club huh?.....wat bout src club?.....ur makin it a bit exclusive there buddy

Heyyy...........I'm Khairunnessa..........I'm captain.........yesh.......captain of Randwick Girls High.........we don't have prefects.........I have my loyal band of src girls with me........and yeh........i agree that u don't have to be captain or anything to go anywhere in life.......itz just a label for a year :D

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
people i know lie on their resume to get jobs ../. say they are captain and stuff and no one ever checks .. my girls get all da cool jobs by doing that

lucigrace

HSC
hey PLC Sydney, house vice captain and school prefect. how are all house captains going organising things? is anyone else at private schools or public finding the house captains job pretty stressful?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
*girl04* said:
people i know lie on their resume to get jobs ../. say they are captain and stuff and no one ever checks .. my girls get all da cool jobs by doing that
My original idea was for captains, vice-captains and prefects, I never really thought about the SRC! Sorry!!!

Katiemae

Oscar Myer Wiener
HSC
Hey.... I am vice captain and i would love to join this group! Our school is starting the healthy canteens thing next year.... there goes our beloved coke machine! i was talking to the principal this morning coz she had a welcome morning tea for us....she is so cute .... and coz we have a new 3 storey building she said that we can have one of the old classrooms that isn't used anymore as a senior common room! stoked.....but do they actually work? i can see our one just getting abused. Our school has a real problem with uniform.... its sort of a dress code but noone at all wears it ever.... at the moment the girls are into multilayered bright bonds singlets, denium and thongs.....and there is this one girl in winter that wears a lime green jump suit and she thinks she looks so great... don't even get me started on that.... hmmm what else have i seen in this thread... oh does anyone else have to do rotary youth of the year next year? grrrrr.... i need a 'witty' topic..... any suggestions?? Also how do u get the junior members of the src more involved... they tend to just sit back and do nothing much....

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Katiemae said:
Hey.... I am vice captain and i would love to join this group! Our school is starting the healthy canteens thing next year.... there goes our beloved coke machine! i was talking to the principal this morning coz she had a welcome morning tea for us....she is so cute .... and coz we have a new 3 storey building she said that we can have one of the old classrooms that isn't used anymore as a senior common room! stoked.....but do they actually work? i can see our one just getting abused. Our school has a real problem with uniform.... its sort of a dress code but noone at all wears it ever.... at the moment the girls are into multilayered bright bonds singlets, denium and thongs.....and there is this one girl in winter that wears a lime green jump suit and she thinks she looks so great... don't even get me started on that.... hmmm what else have i seen in this thread... oh does anyone else have to do rotary youth of the year next year? grrrrr.... i need a 'witty' topic..... any suggestions?? Also how do u get the junior members of the src more involved... they tend to just sit back and do nothing much....
Ok, here is what I think you should do:
1. Common rooms are great ideas...I wish our year had one, but we dont have enough class rooms. If you dont want it abused, put a sign in sheet at the door and have the deputy or someone come down to inspect it to make sure everyone signs in. Hopefully, this could help.

2. We used to have a uniform problem but the principal introduced a note system in which you brought a note in form home from your parent to say why you didn't have your uniform. If its more than say twice a week, you have to see the principal. If you don't bring in a note then you have to go to your role call head teacher who issues one or makes you see the principal in exceptional circumstances. Also, speak to your P&C about lowering the price of uniforms. Maybe they are to exoensive for some of the people in your area?

3. I think you mean the Lions Youth Of The Year?

4. Now, SRC members are all meant to put in their fair share. Every year our SRC teacher gets around 3 students from each year to join, all serving a two year term. The teacher, president and other members interview the candidates and choose the ones that they think are the best. By doing this they get rid of the crap ones who just want to say they were in SRC. Try giving them executive positions, hopefully, this will make them n=more willing to work. We have a senior executive group and a junior executive group. The president from the seniors and the vice-president form the juniors. I don't know how else you can address it. Sorry!

HSC
Hey there, i'm school captain for next year and we've got a few ideas after me and fellow school leader peoples went to that bernie kelly AYDP 3 day conference at homebush...anyone go? Anyways, we basically want to integrate the whole K-12 school more with kinder/year 12 breakfasts, assigning prefect members to certain roll call groups in yrs 7,8,9. Also, there's a bit of segregation with our international students but not sure if we could tackle that issue...

But we haven't done anything yet, we're all talk of course...

Another idea we had was for raising money for our yr 12 gift to the school (tradition). In the past, there was a fashion show night in our hall run by the year with around 10 models who wore surf label stuff, formalwear (didn't cost anything because it was free advertising for the clothes companies). It was really successful, so i think that's what we're gonna do.

Also, our SRC is pretty unorganised too, only the members in our year do anything and the rest are just along for the ride (grr) because anyone could join. We thought of abolishing, but figured that was drastic. That's a good idea, thornydevil, might propose that system and see how we go!

HSC
oh and p.s. i'm also doing the Lion's club youth thing in february... and i don't have an idea for a speech topic either :( but i've got forever so maybe inspiration will knock me over the head really hard or something...here's hoping.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I'm school captain at Casula High...and probably the worst school captain our school has ever had. The teacher that hosts the SRC constantly gives me shit about acting responsibly and missing class for SRC matters. What I hate about captaincy is that you're expected not to swear, muck around or focus on your HSC, which apparently is a big no-no, since if you aren't missing four classes a day and failing, you're a shithouse captain.

Anyway, now that I've done venting...are there any people in here that are/were captains/prefects that went to a public school trying to build school pride? IMO, the biggest problem with state schools is the lack of pride in their school by the students which leads to vandalism, etc. I've been trying to improve this by fundraising for proper sport jerseys and stuff so that the students can start getting behind their school's sporting teams. But, the problem seems to be that it is very difficult to raise the school's profile through academic teams, as they end up heckled.

What are your thoughts?

K

katie_tully

I got Vice Captain this year, and house captain..
I didnt get school captain coz I'm not a role model for other students :( (something about not wearing uniform)

ChrisE

HSC
i was school captain last year. i had fights with the teachers who had certain expectations of me which was hard as the other captain was a perfect freak, wore my uniform like a bum, didnt help out enough, skipped meetings, wasnt much of a role model but hey, everyone (students not teachers) thought i was doing a good job so it worked out well in the end and i beat most of them in the hsc so i had the last laugh over the teachers and the other captain.

ChrisE

HSC
taxman said:
Anyway, now that I've done venting...are there any people in here that are/were captains/prefects that went to a public school trying to build school pride? IMO, the biggest problem with state schools is the lack of pride in their school by the students which leads to vandalism, etc. I've been trying to improve this by fundraising for proper sport jerseys and stuff so that the students can start getting behind their school's sporting teams. But, the problem seems to be that it is very difficult to raise the school's profile through academic teams, as they end up heckled.

What are your thoughts?

i had the same problem with school pride at my school, except i went to a catholic school. i was pushing so hard to make sure that our sporting teams were recognised and we developed pride in our school and its few achievements, teachers would listen and say they would act but nothing ever happened. if you have pro active teachers and a good src things will get done but if your teachers are too lazy like ours were, school spirit dies in the arse.

SilentKnight

HSC
This threads been dead for a while....

I'm a prefect at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney, yep, just a normal prefect.

Basically I've just helped out around the place, but we've just been through Lent where our school backs Project Compassion. Our Captain came up with the idea of getting our principal to shave his head (he got this idea from a Captains meeting thing in Brisbane). Over all, i didn't expect this to make a difference. although, we convinced him to shave off his moustache (which he's had for 27 years or thereabouts) if we reached $12000, a total I'm pretty sure hasn't been met before. The highest I remember is around $10000. Anywho, he stalled until about halfway through the collecting period when we were on $4000. At this stage, it looked hopeless to reach 12000. In the end we made it nicely, collecting nearly $13000 using one casual clothes day, two gold coin days, a barbeque and miscelleaneous posters saying "The mo has to go." or "This moustache represents world poverty." (We had daily collections from each homeroom, and we have around 743 people in the school. And yes, I did pull that number out of my ass)

Basically, we collected $13000 in 40 days. If you're having some kind of drive, never underestimate the impact of a teacher making a fool of themselves for a certain price. This is probably the main time of the year that our school really pulls together, because it is something that is done throughout all the years.

What we also have is Year 12 jerseys. I've seen them in heaps of schools, but i was wondering just how many schools actually do this? It is a great way to build school pride, because everyone in the younger years looks forward to getting one.

And the big topic for everyone - Year 12 formals? How are you going about it at your school?

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
I was School prefect in my first year of year 12 (2003) and the second Physically disabled prefect in the history of my school (Lithgow High) I was also captain of the senior mac mac debating team in 2003.

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
champ_sammy_19 said:
I was School prefect in my first year of year 12 (2003) and the second Physically disabled prefect in the history of my school (Lithgow High) I was also captain of the senior mac mac debating team in 2003.
proud of you champ! we need ppl like you in this world, you remind me of my brother's friend and he's a champion and so are you!!
so kudos to you and keep up what ur doing!

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)