• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

car problems!! please help if u know anythin bout cars (1 Viewer)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Probably some belt of some description is worn or out of alignment or such, as that would affect both the alternator (and thereby starter-motor) and also the power steering pump.
She doesn't have power steering issues though.

Doesn't the starter motor crank off the battery until the alternator takes over? A loose belt wouldn't break the connection to the battery in the alternator...

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
i seriously doubt it is a problem with the electrics lol
more like engine doesnt like starting when cold and that 1 time it wouldnt start after it was running, i have nfi

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
also, sometimes my steering is REALLY REALLY stiff, but only ever at low speeds (ie. when parking)... the power steering fluid has been topped up, and its still like this sometimes?

so yeah, anybody who can offer some advice or anything on these problems, its much appreciated. :)
She doesn't have power steering issues though.

Doesn't the starter motor crank off the battery until the alternator takes over? A loose belt wouldn't break the connection to the battery in the alternator...
A belt that was to tight/slipping whatever would make the idle shit and if the alternator isnt right it won't keep sparking properly.

Edit: To explain more fully. The starter motor is cranked off the battery, yeah, but most of the other pumps are run off the motor itself and the alternator/distributor runs nearly all the other electrics. The starter literally just turns the flywheel, it doesn't fire the sparkplugs or anything.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, keep an eye on it.

By the way... When it happened, did it sound like the starter motor was cranking over? Or was there a loud CLICK! Or no sound from the engine at all?

Can't believe no-ones asked this lol.

hmm, if i had to choose out of those sounds, i spose id say that the motor was making a cranking sound lol. but i dunno.. it hasnt happened ever since that one time. took it to the mechanic, he said he couldnt find anything wrong, and that the idles just needed adjusting (or something like that). but yeah no idea... its fine now, so i guess its all good

Mawery

HSC
Stating the obvious or restating here but when you test drive a car always do about 30 Km/h and swerve hard like full lock and see if the CV's make noise and shit.. My dad knows a heap about cars and stuff (truck driver) and I've been with him to repair alot of things. Does the pump make any noise when you turn the wheels full lock? Maybe air/blockage. If the starter motor just goes t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t means you're battery is flat or the starter motor is fucked. If putting you're foot flat to the boards when you try to turn it over just means that the motor is starved.. Some older cars have that problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)