Carbon Tax (1 Viewer)

Do you support the proposed carbon tax?

• Total voters

cheese_cheese

HSC
I am in two minds about this.

One one hand it is good that we are heading in the right direction towards a cleaner economy and cleaner energy production. Whether climate change is real or not is irrelevant. It doesn't go nearly far enough though.

On the other hand it will have economic consequences for Australia (exactly how much no one knows). If Australia goes alone it is hopeless and we simply hurt ourselves. As Andrew Bolt is always claiming, the tax will apparently reduce the world emissions by one four thousandth of a percent (1/4000 %) and he wants to know what temperature change that will result in. I'm not sure how accurate Bolts scientific number there is (notably no scientist will provide him with a figure or discredit his figure), although if we assume he is out hugely, even then Australia's contribution to reducing emissions is useless when China brings online a new coal fire power plant each week.

Galladrim

HSC
What I'm not convinced about is that it will reduce electricity consumption and encourage greater efficiency in energy output.

What's the elasticity of demand patterns for electricity?

If you can simply "off-put" your emissions by paying lots of extra money for them, then the stuff is still flipping going into the atmosphere.

Whats the money going back into? Research into new technology that can feasibly sustain the countries energy needs, unlike solar and wind?

Am I missing something here?

Garygaz

HSC
hey we're going to try and deter everyone from creating emissions, but then we're going to give you all money back, including industry, so you don't even notice

;ololololo

boris

Banned
HSC
lol

yeah

we are going to use the market to reduce consumption, by making it cost more
but then we are going to give your money back
so you can use just as much
but it will cost more
but we will just reimburse you for the cost

jsymons

HSC
It is pretty hypocritical to introduce this tax and export the same amount of natural resources to China, i mean we are basically China's quarry so what is the point if they don't take an intiative as well, but there are always going to be pro's and con's. But we are the world leader in carbon emissions per capita so we do need to reduce our consumption. Yer lol they are gonna change the tax free threshold to $18,200

zstar

HSC
N/A
46.51% Support.

Now i know why this country is headed for the toilet.

The only thing this carbon scam will do is offshore more Australian jobs overseas and keep young people unemployed.

This idiocy will ensure the cost of living will skyrocket.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)