career prospects for law graduates?? (1 Viewer)

siakhan

HSC
I have heard that law graduates do not have any scope??? is it true?? if so what average mark (distinction or credit) average will be needed to be competitive?

thanks

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I have heard that law graduates do not have any scope??? is it true?? if so what average mark (distinction or credit) average will be needed to be competitive?

thanks
It's hit and miss... Seen people with HD average who are finding it impossible, seen people with Pass averages find a job with ease...

I'm sitting on a credit average (almost a Distinction average), I've had about 7 interviews, haven't been able to seal the deal... (Probably because I shit my pants in interviews... Got one on the 5 Jan, so fingers crossed)...

It all comes down to: What your expectations are, what your aspirations are, etc... It's not hard finding a job per se... It's very hard to find a job you would actually want... If that makes sense...

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
It's hit and miss... Seen people with HD average who are finding it impossible, seen people with Pass averages find a job with ease...

I'm sitting on a credit average (almost a Distinction average), I've had about 7 interviews, haven't been able to seal the deal... (Probably because I shit my pants in interviews... Got one on the 5 Jan, so fingers crossed)...

It all comes down to: What your expectations are, what your aspirations are, etc... It's not hard finding a job per se... It's very hard to find a job you would actually want... If that makes sense...
Hd averages struggling? Which uni do you go to mate. Freehills alone took in around 50 clerks this summer. That is a shit ton of people compared to other competitive things like investment banking. Almost everyone I know who were at a decent level landed a clerkship at a big 6 or mid tiers.

Law prospects aren't as bad as people say it is. Just because random law schools are opening up everywhere, doesn't automatically mean a decent student will find it substantially harder to get a job (although it is much more competitive than a few decades ago)

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Hd averages struggling? Which uni do you go to mate. Freehills alone took in around 50 clerks this summer. That is a shit ton of people compared to other competitive things like investment banking. Almost everyone I know who were at a decent level landed a clerkship at a big 6 or mid tiers.

Law prospects aren't as bad as people say it is. Just because random law schools are opening up everywhere, doesn't automatically mean a decent student will find it substantially harder to get a job (although it is much more competitive than a few decades ago)
You know, 50 clerkships at a top tier firm doesn't exactly put a dent into a figure where there are 12,000 law graduates nationally, every year... :lol:

And yes, I know HD average students from Leo Cussen who are still struggling to even get an interview... (This was about 5 months ago)... I, myself, am a tad more skeptical about the present job market within the legal industry than you... It is, however, worlds better than the downturn the industry experienced during the GFC... The industry itself is, to say the least, a leaky boat...

Many graduates are exploited by undertaking indefinite "trial periods" where they are not paid, the job market is incredibly competitive, etc... There seems to be a silver lining though, the industry is continuing to improve as time goes along... However, it remains incredibly volatile (this is not based solely on the amount of graduates within the legal field, although, it does play a big part)...

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
what is leo cussen?
I specified 'decent' law student. 12000 students from every single law school with about 30 pc not applying for law jobs. I'm specifically talking about people at usyd/unsw/umelb/monash and those who actually put in solid effort and are somewhat talented in law (i.e. at least d wam). That's around 25pc of usyd cohort. Which is 60-70 people. Most of them will have a clerkship. You can't expect to be average and land a clerkship in law. That doesn't make it a bad field to go into. Everything else is the same

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
what is leo cussen?
I specified 'decent' law student. 12000 students from every single law school with about 30 pc not applying for law jobs. I'm specifically talking about people at usyd/unsw/umelb/monash and those who actually put in solid effort and are somewhat talented in law (i.e. at least d wam). That's around 25pc of usyd cohort. Which is 60-70 people. Most of them will have a clerkship. You can't expect to be average and land a clerkship in law. That doesn't make it a bad field to go into. Everything else is the same
Leo Cussen is a Practical Legal Training provider... Do you even law, bro?

Whether you get SWT or not, you will still have to deal with either them, College of Law or the ANU PLT program... Even in that circumstance you still have 9600 people applying for what is around 1200 entry level legal jobs annually (a bit of a cynical worst case scenario, but it is not unrealistic)...

But yes (to answer the OP's questions), Law students do have scope in terms of employment... You can move off into a number of fields, which include (but are not limited to): Policy and Research, Government, working with the Judiciary, Police, Corrections, Human Resources, etc... You are not necessarily confined to being a Solicitor (It's probably best to keep your options open and elect to do a double degree as a plan B, so to speak)...

Competitiveness is not necessarily centered around your marks (although it does play a small part)... To be competitive, keep yourself occupied during your studies (work/volunteer within the legal profession or any other profession where you can gain relevant skill sets to the profession, retail actually makes you attractive to an employer), etc...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)