Votes: 18 12.2%
  • What's an AXA?

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
Originally posted by VX1-08U
Are here people driving manual for performance (oppose to a laggy auto box) or because it is cheaper?
because it's sexy.
Also i heard that red car drivers are 'bloody idiots'. Hah, mum drives a red car.

kkorpz

Casual Wanderer
HSC
I'd drive manual.. they're cheaper and you can make them go faster than auto.. Red cars are so cliche.. i'd go for silver or a dark blue/purple shade.. or black!

Knives are cool.. If you know how to use them.. If you lived in canada you can buy knives at any age.. they have this store that sells knives... they're soooo cool.. Wish I could buy one and bring it back to Australia without getting caught. :D

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I got one in Baguio. It's not the best blade in the world, but it's well enough concealed and it doubles as a baton. I keep it by my side when I sleep.

Patricio

UNSW Member
Are here people driving manual for performance (oppose to a laggy auto box) or because it is cheaper?
you're talking about old-school 3 speed autos (very laggy). 4 speed autos are pretty similar performance to manuals..

one of the reasons.. i can flog my car (manual) but if i have the foot to the floor on my mums subaru (auto) it cuts out and kinda goes neutral until the revs lower..
normally on autos when you floor it, it downshifts and uses the lower gear - it shouldn't go to neutral/wait til the revs lower..

VX1-08U

Originally posted by Patricio
- you're talking about old-school 3 speed autos (very laggy). 4 speed autos are pretty similar performance to manuals..

Turbo 400 (3 speed) gearboxes in old performance holdens (e.g. HQ GTS Monaro) are pretty good, compared to the cheaper tri-matics in Kingwoods. Apparently the best auto box is in the new XR6T, the rest are still pretty laggy, especially the one in the last model corolla - it's like flogging a dead horse (i know, not the best example).

- normally on autos when you floor it, it downshifts and uses the lower gear - it shouldn't go to neutral/wait til the revs lower..

Get the bands on the gearbox adjusted at next service, might help. Sounds like the box is slipping if it goes into neutral.

VX1-08U

Originally posted by babyslug
because it's sexy.
Also i heard that red car drivers are 'bloody idiots'. Hah, mum drives a red car.

It's all bout sex appeal ... and you ride a motorbike also (now that's sexy for a chick!).

As for red car drivers being idiots, I think it's more to do with the cars they drive rather than the colour. The biggest idiots I see on the road are *generally* 200sx and WRX drivers, thinking they're heroes or something, trying to race ppl all the time.

VX1-08U

Originally posted by kkorpz
I'd drive manual.. they're cheaper and you can make them go faster than auto.. Red cars are so cliche.. i'd go for silver or a dark blue/purple shade.. or black!

Black - pimpin' it stylez (Dingo probably drives a black car, being a pimp and all).

VX1-08U

Originally posted by Enlightened_One
I'm a male and I drive a manual. Have been since I was about twelve. Auto's just take all the fun out of driving.

Agreed, unless you have a shift kit in your auto box, or drive it like a manual by downshifting (from D to 2nd) when stopping to get that wrooom sound, and/or starting off in 1st then 2nd, 3rd and D at the lights. Still not the same tho.

Patricio

UNSW Member
- you're talking about old-school 3 speed autos (very laggy). 4 speed autos are pretty similar performance to manuals..
Turbo 400 (3 speed) gearboxes in old performance holdens (e.g. HQ GTS Monaro) are pretty good, compared to the cheaper tri-matics in Kingwoods. Apparently the best auto box is in the new XR6T, the rest are still pretty laggy, especially the one in the last model corolla - it's like flogging a dead horse (i know, not the best example).
Yeh auto boxes are the only way to go for dedicated drag cars anyway. The SMG in the BMW M3s are meant to be very good box also (there's no way they can be considered manual), and the same with the newer model Ferraris with F1-style shifts. I think the manual's days are nearly over (for performance cars anyway - they'll always be there as the cheaper option in the econo-boxes).

Get the bands on the gearbox adjusted at next service, might help. Sounds like the box is slipping if it goes into neutral.
But he also said it went into neutral, then went into gear once the revs dropped. If the auto box was slipping, it normally takes more revs to get into gear, rather than letting them drop...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
re manuals, tiptronics are probably the way of the future :(

VX1-08U

The SMG in the BMW M3s are meant to be very good box also (there's no way they can be considered manual), and the same with the newer model Ferraris with F1-style shifts. I think the manual's days are nearly over ..............

Seems to be the tend these days ... firstly with clutchless manuals, now F1-style shifts. Econo-boxes are starting to head in a similar direction, as seen with the Honda Jazz (probably just a once off thing or at least for the time being).

Tiptronic auto's are on the raise too - Mitsubishi Lancer VR-X, Magna Sports, Ford Pursuit Ute etc etc.

Patricio

UNSW Member
Seems to be the tend these days ... firstly with clutchless manuals, now F1-style shifts. Econo-boxes are starting to head in a similar direction, as seen with the Honda Jazz (probably just a once off thing or at least for the time being).
Tiptronic auto's are on the raise too - Mitsubishi Lancer VR-X, Magna Sports, Ford Pursuit Ute etc etc.
I'm all for it! Although at this stage, tiptronics mainly suck.
When the manufacturers start making Tiptronics that are "faster than a manual, and smoother than an auto", then I'd really get into them..
And I don't count clutchless manuals as manuals, they're clearly automatic.
As you said VX, the auto in the XR6T is meant to be really good - matching the manual in terms of performance.
A lot of people think that autos are slow cos their performance figures are generally a second off the manual version of the same car - but when testing autos, reviewers never use the stall in the auto, which brings the performance between the 2 a lot closer..

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
Originally posted by babyslug
because it's sexy.

It's all bout sex appeal ... and you ride a motorbike also (now that's sexy for a chick!).

As for red car drivers being idiots, I think it's more to do with the cars they drive rather than the colour. The biggest idiots I see on the road are *generally* 200sx and WRX drivers, thinking they're heroes or something, trying to race ppl all the time.
hear hear! Haha, those 'young punks' speeding off - go speed racer! go!

VX1-08U

When the manufacturers start making Tiptronics that are "faster than a manual, and smoother than an auto", then I'd really get into them..

Wonder what would happen if you in 2nd gear in tiptronic mode at 5000rpm and flick the lever in the - direction. Would it go into 1st and lockup? Tiptronics will get better over time, as it is just a recent development.

A lot of people think that autos are slow cos their performance figures are generally a second off the manual version of the same car - but when testing autos, reviewers never use the stall in the auto, which brings the performance between the 2 a lot closer..

Performance might be closer, but can't be too good for the driveline and brakes if done all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)