CARS & RIDES & Mighty Car Mods (1 Viewer)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: CARS & RIDES & Mighty Car Mods

Lol I guess I'll just stick to a car..
It's a highly situational machine. Riding through even light rain is pretty miserable. Then there's the consideration of range, my car has a pretty s*** range of only 500km per tank and my bike will do maybe 280-300km. Most supersports will only do 230-250ish so if you live 50km from work then you're filling up every second day which is just irritating, then let's not forget the problem of some motorbikes which like to overheat in traffic. For the most part if you're on a 250-300cc model, you'll be running around 300km per tank with little of the heat issues on larger bikes so generally not a problem. Compared to a car which will do 650km+ normally, it's an inconvenience.

Pros:
You look like a Power Ranger
Bikes are fun
Full licence = lane filtering
Averaging 3L/100km on my 250cc
250cc is about as quick as a Golf GTI for not much money
Insurance is surprisingly cheap
Cheap to run overall - Instead of pleasure drives in the car, a lot of them are now on the bike. The savings in servicing/wear and tear/petrol offsets the cost of a bike in roughly 2 years by my calculations.

Cons:
You look like a Power Ranger
Bikes are bloody dangerous in every way, any accident will hurt
Inclement weather sucks
Very poor cargo carrying
You're stuck with bike gear at work/Uni

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
Great bike to learn on! Really, really forgiving in every respect, parts on it are kinda expensive though for mods and I think the Yoshi exhaust is way too loud even with all the baffles in place. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Ninja 300 (in white) after I pass the P's test.

@Turntaker Depends I guess, some Unis have quite a few bike parks so if it was in a group it'd be less likely to be stolen, more so if it's in a very public high traffic area. I ride to work if I don't feel like driving only because work has a secure carpark with guaranteed bike parks, if it were open air I wouldn't even consider it. Then there's the thing about having to walk around in bike gear all day, I can leave my stuff in the locker/office. Being stolen is always an issue, bikes are bloody light and even with all the locks and gizmos in the world, it's pretty easy for 2-3 guys to just lift one onto the back of a ute. Ultimately though, riding through traffic is VERY dangerous in Sydney and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My commute is early morning and relatively light-moderate but peak hour I wouldn't even think about it.
Pretty sure your will get used to the traffic after lots of experience.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty sure your will get used to the traffic after lots of experience.
I'm used to traffic, I'll drive through Sydney CBD but it's definitely a risk that will catch up to you eventually if you daily. It's the stuff that you can't avoid that will eventually get you no matter how good you are.

astroman

HSC
I'm used to traffic, I'll drive through Sydney CBD but it's definitely a risk that will catch up to you eventually if you daily. It's the stuff that you can't avoid that will eventually get you no matter how good you are.
Ride like everyone is there to kill you, and everyone is drunk. Don't put yourself in hazardous situations. Also that's why loud exhausts are beneficial, u say your exhaust is too loud, that is an awesome thing, it sounds awesome and at least if a car can't see you it will hear you. The stock exhausts are pathetic, and I personally think they are a bit of a hazard. Have your seen royaljordanian? He lane splits and rev's all the time when lane splitting to make people aware he's coming.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Ride like everyone is there to kill you, and everyone is drunk. Don't put yourself in hazardous situations. Also that's why loud exhausts are beneficial, u say your exhaust is too loud, that is an awesome thing, it sounds awesome and at least if a car can't see you it will hear you. The stock exhausts are pathetic, and I personally think they are a bit of a hazard. Have your seen royaljordanian? He lane splits and rev's all the time when lane splitting to make people aware he's coming.
Yeah I'm aware, I'm also acutely aware in my line of work how many people are injured on bikes in situations that simply couldn't have been avoided and were in no way their fault. My risk reduction aside from defensive riding is simply to avoid those situations when possible and having a car, I can do that. Riding through heavy traffic isn't fun anyway.

astroman

HSC
Yeah I'm aware, I'm also acutely aware in my line of work how many people are injured on bikes in situations that simply couldn't have been avoided and were in no way their fault. My risk reduction aside from defensive riding is simply to avoid those situations when possible and having a car, I can do that. Riding through heavy traffic isn't fun anyway.
I haven't any experience on a bike in aus so I can't contribute much, but I agree with you, I do tend to see much less bikes on weekdays compared to weekends. Bikes are more enjoyable as an experience for people that can't afford a gt3rs.

astroman

HSC
Im gonna get a bike for casual riding after HSC, Both my dad and I are gonna ride, I'm really into cafe racer's and think I might build one after I get a full license, Moto guzzi v7, ducati scrambler and Triumph Thruxton all are super appealing.

astroman

HSC
There is a guy riding his loud motorbike in my street lol, donno if should be annoyed and enjoy the sound.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Im gonna get a bike for casual riding after HSC, Both my dad and I are gonna ride, I'm really into cafe racer's and think I might build one after I get a full license, Moto guzzi v7, ducati scrambler and Triumph Thruxton all are super appealing.
I like cafe racers but I want that Panigale way too much I think haha

astroman

HSC
I like cafe racers but I want that Panigale way too much I think haha
Not a huge fan of super sport bike's although I appreciate what they can offer and the incredible engineering that goes into them, there's something about classic vintage things that's just awesome. If you haven't already, check out this youtube channel, it's so awesome. Featuring the best cafe racer's around the world.
https://www.youtube.com/user/10341037/videos

astroman

HSC
[video]https://fbcdn-video-n-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xaf1/v/t43.1792-2/11401887_10153839740655769_1118484118_n.mp4?efg=ey JybHIiOjE1NzMsInJsYSI6MTAyNH0%3D&rl=1573&vabr=1049&oh=f14d6beb5cd963754851966df676169b&oe=55F456A2&__gda__=1442077675_790a8878ed50ac3058f6a06b8a2e6c3 0[/video]

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Not a huge fan of super sport bike's although I appreciate what they can offer and the incredible engineering that goes into them, there's something about classic vintage things that's just awesome. If you haven't already, check out this youtube channel, it's so awesome. Featuring the best cafe racer's around the world.
https://www.youtube.com/user/10341037/videos
It's like Petrolicious or Jay Leno's Garage for cafe racers lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)