Cars Room Quiz (2 Viewers)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
DaddyK said:
No one has got either correct so far. I'll agree the hard Q is very hard so just deem it a bonus question, first person to get easy Q can ask next.
Looks at Easy question again and smacks head for previous typo - the answer is obviously A.

Whats the hard one though because I was pretty sure I was on the money for it.....

SlipStream

HSC

First Q is A!! :p

I'm not as savvy with gearboxes as I am with engines, so the second Q can remain a mystery to me.

YaY! I gEt ThE pRiZe!

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
oh whoops, sorry loquasagacious i didn't even see your answer to the hard question, its correct. But your easy Q was incorrect, sorry buddy but kudo's for gettin the hard one right that was a tricky one. Well looks like its your go slipstream.

SlipStream

HSC
EASY - What following sentence is inaccurate?

a) Starter motors have little drives called "bendix drives"
b) If you turn your air con off you gain more power
c) You can use a screwdriver to remove an oil filter
d) Petrol doesn't explode
e) Brand new seatbelts can snap, but industry hides this

HARD - What is trail-braking and why would it be useful in a WRX? (open Q)

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
EASY:

e)

HARD:

im pretty sure its when you brake while going through a corner. um useful in a wrx, because to make use of the potential of its handling???

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Easy:
C - maybe a screwdriver and another tool but not a screwdriver alone.

Hard:
Simply put trail-braking is a technique whereby you brake late into a corner (thus raising entry speed), as a consequence of this the braking and turning sequence of a corner over-lap which further cuts time by eliminating the 'slack' period between braking and turning when driving conventionally (eg straight line braking).

It can also be utilised in the form of a very aggressive corner pass technique by coming in fast playing the corner wide and passiing a car taking a traditional line inducing some understeer through trail-braking to cut in front and back onto the conventional line.

I can't think off the top of my head why it would be anymore useful in a WRX than any other car. It would however be safer and easier to control in an AWD like the WRX (especially with the variable torque split centre-diff) as it would be less prone to spin out through either over or under-steer.

SlipStream

HSC
Close.. but no cigar - you're both missing an important technique of trail braking that has something to do with your feet.

And as for the first one, loquasagacious perhaps you are looking too deep into the Q. ;)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Hmm well I'm sticking with C for easy.

As for hard trail-braking may require both left foot braking and heel-toeing to keep it smooth.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I'm not suggesting at the same time but saying that at different times when trail-braking in a corner it may be necessary to heel-toe (eg the downchange) and to LFB (eg in the overlap).

SlipStream

HSC
Close enough - easy IS option E. addymac, you were looking into the Q a bit too much... ;) it wasn't a trick question.

Trail braking is braking hard and late into a corner, and often also includes braking with your left foot, and keeping your right foot pinned to the floor to keep boost up (in the WRX case) otherwise if you were to lift off, boost would be dumped and you'd loose vital tenths of a second.

Your turn Dave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)