Case studies for year 12... (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

i'm only in yr11, but it's getting closer to the beginning of my hsc year, so i want to get a head start. i know that u need to gather case studies for business studies, but:
a) do u get one case study per topic? (i.e. 5 in total)
b) where do u find unique case studies?
c) can u do a case study of any business/corporation or are there websites/books that actually say: "a case study of...."
d) are the questions in the hsc exam generic? i.e. can u apply any case study to any extended reponse?

JessC

HSC
N/A
it pretty much depends on youself because different teachers will tell you differnt things n u wil find tat ppl frm other skools will b collecting differnt cases studies to you....
you can have one for each topic.....or one case study that covers all topics...its prob best to have about 2 case studies across the topics...most schools do qantas or coca cola

kpq_sniper017

:)
that means i'd better not do qantas or coca cola...
...do the schools actually use the case study in class throughout the year? coz i guess that would mean that i'd have to investigate my own case studies in my own time.

elite_joe

yeah we were given a book on qantas, and we were ment to look for articals which could back the book up (cuz it was published in 2001 so it was a bit old)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
ummm our case studies are:
management + change- qantas
employment relations- toys r us parramatta and for the dispute side of it our assignment (i did tristar steering)
financial planning + management- qantas
marketing- jamberoo
global- coca cola
but yeh some people just study one case study in relation to all the areas.. some do all different ones
im not sure where you can find them.. maybe just find people in other schools and trade with them or something? i know with disputes and things they are usually in the news

Hoplite

HSC
You don't need unique case studies...you won't get any extra marks for it, and the ones like Qantas are already set out for you, so why bother?

kpq_sniper017

Hoplite said:
You don't need unique case studies...you won't get any extra marks for it, and the ones like Qantas are already set out for you, so why bother?
wouldn't markers get kinda bored reading about the same case studies?? i'm sure subconsciously, markers would actually enjoy reading a well-written extended reponse referring to a unique case study.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
um you can get some from the textbook which are easy to digest.
Plenty of people are going to do Coca cola, wonderland and QANTAS.

kpq_sniper017

dark`secrets said:
um you can get some from the textbook which are easy to digest.
Plenty of people are going to do Coca cola, wonderland and QANTAS.
can u technically still do wonderland seeing as it's closed down?

mojako

HSC
questions are generic,
but I think it's better to study 1 business for all topics because the question sometimes requires you to discuss more than 1 topic and it will look more integrated to refer to one business only.

well it may impress ur marker to have a unique one, but thats if you can find as much info about that business as other prepared/common ones.
and... the good thing with less popular businesses is that they can't really be sure if what you say is true ^_^

kpq_sniper017

mojako said:
questions are generic,
but I think it's better to study 1 business for all topics because the question sometimes requires you to discuss more than 1 topic and it will look more integrated to refer to one business only.

well it may impress ur marker to have a unique one, but thats if you can find as much info about that business as other prepared/common ones.
and... the good thing with less popular businesses is that they can't really be sure if what you say is true ^_^
so u could actually choose a local business (such as one from the brt) and do ur own research and use that as a case study?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
pcx_demolition017 said:
can u technically still do wonderland seeing as it's closed down?
i guess there is nothing that stops you doing it, i guess you can criticize the business and the way that they conduct their business.
my biz teacher constantly advise us to use wonderland as a case study.

QANTAS covers all areas

mojako

HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
so u could actually choose a local business (such as one from the brt) and do ur own research and use that as a case study?
whats "the brt"? Britain? (dont laugh if im wrong winse its just a random guess :p)

I think its better if the marker/teacher also knows the business him/herself. But thats just my unsubstantiated assumption. Anyone disagree?

Larger companies would be better though because their business strategies are more "developed" and comphrensive. So you can write a lot of things.

And there's a "global business" topic which is best discussed with a large global company.

santaslayer

HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
i'm only in yr11, but it's getting closer to the beginning of my hsc year, so i want to get a head start. i know that u need to gather case studies for business studies, but:
a) do u get one case study per topic? (i.e. 5 in total)
b) where do u find unique case studies?
c) can u do a case study of any business/corporation or are there websites/books that actually say: "a case study of...."
d) are the questions in the hsc exam generic? i.e. can u apply any case study to any extended reponse?

A) Usually from teacher. Leading Edge have a few too, but you need to purchase them yourselves. (unless the school offers it to you).

B) Uniqe case studies? I don''t think there are ""unique"" ones, more of a matter of occurence rate in the exams from students.

C) Yes there are actual case studies intended for the HSC although I haven't been told that using your own one is prohibted. That being said, using one that is fairly recognisable is more advanatageous. :)

D) Not generic but similar yes. There is only one essay question which requires the case studies although using them in your other essays may be beneficial.

Our school went crazy over case studies, we used:

HSBC
IMAX
Southcorp Wines

jillybean

jillybean
HSC
ok, we are doing a case study for each topic in class, so ask your teacher if you will do the same, you can use businesses from your report. we aren't doing anything like qantas because everyone does it and markers do get bored, also if you do a unique one and forget a part you can make a educated guess and make it up, the markers wont know any differently. but if you did say qantas they know every detail bout it so there is no room for error, you will need to do a short paragraph intro on the business too, so the marker knows what the business is, good luck!

Hoplite

HSC
Just use one of the popular ones.

All markers do is look at their marking guidelines. And all you have to do is satisfy those requirements.

And that's easiest to do with a case study that has been designed for the course.

Lorie

HSC
i believe your best served using a range os case studies, and if possible a bit different and current. Continually research for case studies, there are lots about. For example the colapse of Sons of Gwalia or the setting up of a chaeper service (jet star) by Qanats to attract more customers.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
A teacher from a girls high school (sorry, cant remember exactly) has released a big Qantas case study book. It goes over every chapter, using Qantas as an example throughout. It's taliored to this course.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Iron woman said:
A teacher from a girls high school (sorry, cant remember exactly) has released a big Qantas case study book. It goes over every chapter, using Qantas as an example throughout. It's taliored to this course.
same goes to david broadbridge from pymbles ladies college, who also devised one up relating to the topics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)