case study confusion (1 Viewer)

astro boy

HSC
does anyone think its worth while learning seperate case studies for marketing and e.r ?? my class is doing harvey norman but the info we get is only in globalisation terms.
i had to do a marketing plan for an exhisting product for my marketing assesment and i have reasonable knowledge about M.U.A vs Patricks but does anyone think that there's gonna be an extended response regarding a marketing case study or an industrial relations case study????

roo

HSC
well you should know a case study for each topic. both our trial extended responses were on ER/management and change.. they could ask you basically anything

astro boy

HSC
yeah i guess so but i was thinking more on the lines of the possibility a question like "with reference to your case study write up a marketing plan" or "with reference to a case study write about how an industrial dispute can be resolved.. " could spring up.

roo

HSC
i dun think they can ask about the industrial dispute thing 'cause not all case studies you do will involve an industrial dispute. we've only been asked to relate a case study to ER, not industrial disputes specifically.. it sounds to narrow.

i think the marketing plan one would probably go under the report section.. section 3 i think it is. :) :)

hUnNi

HSC
yeh that cant ask sumthing like that cuz its too speciFic..there gona have to ask sumthing general..so everyone can relate their business to the question..;)

ben

YES - DON'T JUST LEARN A GLOBAL CASE STUDY

The last section (IV) can ask you a question on any combination of topics they want!

E.g. With reference to a business you have studied, explain how effective employment relations can be achieved in a business in a time of change. In your answer also discuss how the combination of effective ER and Marketing can together lead to a business achieving its strategic goals.

Ok - so a crap question, but yes technically you need to learn a few case studies that relate to the syallabus.

Last year Section IV was on Global + Marketing
This year it could be
Global + ER or
Global + Finance + Marketing or
Finance + Marketing or
Finance + ER etc. etc.

This is why case studies are my biggest worry for this exam! I only have a global case study and a ER case study.

hUnNi

HSC
thatZ y u shud do i big case stdy like Qantas which incorporates everything..cuz if u do a small one it might not deal with sum issues..

get one big one..n have several small ones that u can include as examples as well.. :p

ben

Yeah - it would be good if I had one big case study. But it's too late now. :angry:

Looking at the standards package - i don't think the case study bit is the important part of that questions - but more the regurgitation and integration of syallabus headings. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know I'll get to the HSC exam and end up making a hypothetical business that does exactly what the syallabus recommends (surprise, surprise).

Sazzy

hey! We just got our case study for globalisation a couple of days ago! We've got separate ones for Marketing and ER, and Globalisation

funkydish

don't they have like at least 2 options? one with a predetermined case study and one with info on the exam?

ben

Originally posted by funkydish
don't they have like at least 2 options? one with a predetermined case study and one with info on the exam?
i don't understand your question, sorry. :confused: :confused:

funkydish

lol ok ... umm .. don't they like. ok. it's the last question, one of the BIG ones where u need to do a report or marketing plan or something. well, usually they have two options. one where u use ur own business which you've studied before, or one where they give u some info on the exam.

hmm, am i still too confusing? lol. :p

my friend, Sazzy (up a couple of posts), says u should know ur own business. but i'm too lazy too do that.

roo

HSC
they do both.. question 26 is usually the one with info and u gotta write up a report on it. question 27/28 (which ever u choose) is going to be on your case study. sometimes it's only one. last year's HSC it was both, i think.. :)

philbert_frog

In the Bus. St. HSC Exam, there are TWO extended responses:

q26: extended resposne with stimulus material - it does not talk at all about case studies.

q28/29: you have a choice out of two, usually both are about the same topics in the syllabus (eg. as ben said Global+ER), and you HAVE to talk about case studies.

There was a deliberate plural there because questions can (and the 2002 CSSA trial does) specifically state: "with reference to a global business(es) you have studied".

In this case, you don't have to mention more than one case study, but it helps to make your response stand out.

Also, I would recommend (if you've got the time) learning a case study that is adaptable (but which might be weak in one or more topics) + case studies for each topic to supplant this adaptable case study.

ben

Well toady I finally DUG up 6 different case studies. Took forever to find them through all my Biz sheets.

1 for Bus Management & Change,
1 for Global
1 for Marketing
1 for ER
1 for Industrial Conflict
1 for Finance (very brief)

I'm just going to learn them all briefly, the main thing I think is knowing the syallabus and then just showing how they can be put into practice.

Btw - all my case studies are hypothetical.

ben

Originally posted by Chrissy
Our case study covers everything

QANTAS it written by Tim Riley

i think you have to buy them though
Yeah - i wish i used something like that earlier on - instead of my 6 case studies!!

But it doesn't matter, basically my case studies just do everything that the syallabus says a business should do.

Doylie

Erm, for Qantas ER, in the booklet it only goes over the industrial dispute it had over wage freezes.. what are you going to write about for ER on Qantas if it asks about recruitment, training, development etc. cause the Qantas book has no info on that...

ben

Originally posted by Doylie
Erm, for Qantas ER, in the booklet it only goes over the industrial dispute it had over wage freezes.. what are you going to write about for ER on Qantas if it asks about recruitment, training, development etc. cause the Qantas book has no info on that...
You obvioulsy haven't read the syallabus have you?

The syallabus only asks for you to learn a case study for ER in relation to "industrial action and managing change".

However - when I rang up the advice line about this - they said you should have something for effective employment relations anyway - but that's not hard.

Just make up a hypothetic business and say... they achieve effective employment relations through:
- Communication systems
- Rewards
- Flexible working conditions - family friendly
etc. (can't remember the rest of the syallabus)

Not hard to make up an example of those sorts of things.

I just realised to... the question in SecIV says "with reference to" ... now the dictionary def of 'reference' is 'to mention' - so i'm thinking that the case studies are really that important - more your ability to namedrop syallabus dot points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)