Casual Paralegal - Commercial Litigation (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Just found this on Mac's CareerHub website, and thought a few of you might appreciate the heads-up, especially those of us near the end of our degree, and are sick of being an office shit-kicker... be a glorified one instead ;)

Casual Paralegal - Commercial Litigation
Employer: Sparke Helmore Solicitors (Sydney)
Position: Casual Paralegal - Commercial Litigation
Added: 18-Jul-2006
Closes: 14-Aug-2006
Hours: Casual/PT
Payrate: $tbc

Details:
Sparke Helmore is one of Australia's most dynamic law firms. Our Firm services a blue chip client portfolio across its eight offices nationally and is supported by leading edge infrastructure and resources.

We are seeking law students for our casual paralegal pool in the Commercial Litigiation and Dispute Resolution practice group. You will be keen and enthusiastic, with a good eye for details.

Duties will include:

Processing documents
Document collation
Photocopying
Preparation of documents for litigation
You must be available to work a minimum of 2 days per week (preferably consecutively) and willing to work on an on-call basis.

If you are someone with solid academic results, are hard-working and able to work under pressure, please apply online at www.sparke.com.au/careers or contact Christine Britten-Jones for further details on (02) 9260 2548.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the heads up MJ.

I got a feeling 50 gazillion people are gonna go for this. It's on their website, mq careers page, seek, mycareer..

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
GoodToGo said:
Thanks for the heads up MJ.

I got a feeling 50 gazillion people are gonna go for this. It's on their website, mq careers page, seek, mycareer..
Wow, really? Well, at least you know they must be a reputable firm! Always a good start ;)

= Jennifer = hang in there! I know how hard it is to break into admin/office when you're a junior with limited hours :(

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Wow, really? Well, at least you know they must be a reputable firm! Always a good start ;)

= Jennifer = hang in there! I know how hard it is to break into admin/office when you're a junior with limited hours :(
Yeah, Sparke Helmore is reputable mid-tier firm...they're one of the sponsors of the law society at mac.

Jennifer - It's quite quite often about who you know for those shitkicker jobs. Often when one person leaves a job, the solicitor/barrister asks them to find a replacement for them to interview. Build up your CV so that you become desirable to an employer (through law comps for e.g.) and network every chance you get.

Last edited:

donkeydrop

HSC
its ok guys/girls, something better will always come up. ive had about 15 rejections until some nice small employment law firm hired me. yes, im a shit-kicker but they treat me well, pay is $18 (i want more :) )and they train me (i have to ask though "show me this, explain me that".
i got the job through seek. these web-sites make searching and applying for the jobs much easier, as long as you have ready to be sent resume and cover letter

whats the saying? never give up, never surrender :)

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
18/hr is really good for a small firm!

There are quite a few small firms that pay 10-15/hr - but they're usually firms involved in workers comp, personal injury, conveyancing and hence they make very little money these days.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I went from being paid just over $15 p/h (immigration work) to $18 where I am now (family law).

My boss said, at the interview, that the pay was "only $18", saying he knew it was probably lower than I expected but they "dont rip off [our] clients". I'll never forget that! Moving from a $15p/h place where the boss ripped the clients off, to a place which apparently didn't, for an extra $3!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
I went from being paid just over $15 p/h (immigration work) to $18 where I am now (family law).

My boss said, at the interview, that the pay was "only $18", saying he knew it was probably lower than I expected but they "dont rip off [our] clients". I'll never forget that! Moving from a $15p/h place where the boss ripped the clients off, to a place which apparently didn't, for an extra $3!
Hmm interesting. I don't think the paying of clerks/paralegals has anything to do with ripping off clients as such. It often just comes down to how tight they are.

I know a boutique construction law firm where a couple mac law students work at that pays $25/hr for paralegals...which is more than Mallesons and Freehills.

Speaking of law firms, I have an interview at a mid-tier firm this week...anyone have any interviewing tips (aside from the obvious ones)?

Last edited:

M@C D@DDY

HSC
anyone else who applied for this position get an email from Christine saying that the applications are taking longer than usual to process?? (I am trying to articificially get my hopes up, because the letter was personally addressed...)

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Paralegal positions are very very popular. You have to be very good to be selected from often hundres of applications for the one position. That said Sparke Helmore are an up and coming firm that has experienced about 20% growth in the last ten years (or a similar very impressive figure). Well known for their Corporate/M&A, Dispute resolution, Insurance and Real estate.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
thanks for that... be sure to mention it in the interview :)

= Jennifer =

HSC
M@C D@DDY said:
anyone else who applied for this position get an email from Christine saying that the applications are taking longer than usual to process?? (I am trying to articificially get my hopes up, because the letter was personally addressed...)
yeah i got that one :) and recently like 2 days ago i got this:

Dear Jennifer

Thank you for applying for a position with Sparke Helmore. Unfortunately, we do
not feel that we can best utilise your skills and experience at this time.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the interest you have
shown in Sparke Helmore and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

We will keep your details on file and should a suitable position arise, we will
contact you. You are welcome to contact us at anytime to update your personal
information. If you do not want the Firm to retain your details please do not
hesitate to contact us

Thank you again for your interest.

Kind regards

Christine Britten-Jones

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i have a feeling that, as long as you're decently smart, decently presented, decently sociable, you'll all get a summer clerkship/graduate employment... it just depends which firm. :ninja:

and if it doesn't work out, you can always throw your cares away and be a primary school teacher.

no worries guys. :)

M@C D@DDY

HSC
damn...got the same rejection letter....oh wells I am only second year, plenty of opportunities I guess. At least they bothered to reply and personalise it, which gave me a good impression of the firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)