Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS in Africa. (1 Viewer)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Sorry if any of this has already been said.

"People want sex, people have sex, and because of the Church, they decide not to use condoms." No, it is because of peoples selfishness that they choose not to wear a condom. The fact of the matter is that some people don't care about their spouses, but instead are interested only in their own personal pleasure. If they truly cared about their spouses i think they would wear a condom regardless.
How can it be their fault or in any way due to their "selfishness" if they
(a) haven't learned anything about contraception (which was, as Sylvester stated, caused largely by the Catholic Church)
(b) are only trying to follow the teachings of the Church to the best of their ability.

I just can't understand why the Church can't understand that they can't just proclaim abstinence as the sole solution to AIDS when they KNOW that many people simply won't remain abstinent. What the Church provides isn't a realistic solution, rather a set of moral absolutes which will only serve to worsen the situation. It. Is. Irresponsible.

Another analogy:

I join the army, complete my necessary training and goto war. During the war I choose to disobey protocol and do not implement the skills I have been taught during my training, as a result I end up dead. Can the army be held responsible? No they can not. They provided me with the necessary skills to prevent the situation from happening but in the end I made the decision to ignore what I learned and went about it in my own way.
I think a more suitable analogy is:

I join the army, and they tell me one sure-fire way not to get injured - don't get hit by bullets. However, this is insufficient training and I die. Can the army be held responsible? I know my answer.

Would you be able to provide references to documents that justify the pressure Catholics put on the US Government so I can assess this statement?
It was one of Bushe's campaign points Kalamari. It's one of the reasons he had such a large proportion of the Catholic vote.

Fact: Claims that the Bible is unverifiable are unverifiable.
Ok, I don't want to get into a religious argument, but here I go.
Prove to me that God exists. Pretend that I believe all of the earthly events within the bible, and then with all this "evidence", prove to me that there is meaning behind the miracles, that God was behind it all, and that Jesus is God and not just a friendly miracle worker with a big ego.
Go.

E

Empyrean444

Basically, what the Church should say is "don't have sex, but if you do, use a condom" (only requiring my incantation after others because you see unable or unwilling to understand this). This way they satisfy their particular ideological need whilemaking sure that damage isn't done if this doctrine is ignored. I thought that modern Christian teaching had moved away from blatant victimisation. They have knowledge they are not expounding - knowledge that could help people. By refusing to acknowledge it to the Africans, they cause them damage and harm. Such an action goes against their basic moral code. Saying "don't have sex, or use contraception, and if you do thus you deserve whatever you get because you disobeyed our hallowed and God proven axiomatic lies", which has been the implicit tone of much said, is essentially a form of revenge - indirectly allowing someone to come to harm because they did something you think wrong. Wrath is a cardinal sin.

The teaching of self-discipline is probably one of the most important factors in enabling individuals to make healthy lifestyle choices. Also, condoms are useless if individuals choose not to use them.
No shit. As said, individuals' choices not to use them are greatly influenced by the Church's so-called 'teachings'. Why is this hard to grasp? This places significant responsibility on the Church. An individual can be a slave to their ideology (and I think many Africans may be close to this state of being).

Also, you asked another if they would jump off a cliff if you told em so? Let's put it in realistic terms. I am a person/org with great power. You have utter faith in me, you cling to every phoneme I breathe, you consider me your Lord, master and see obedience as necessary. Moreover, without me you will suffer (as you think) in eternity, the worse fate possible. Now, if I told you to jump of a cliff because of X [insert doctrine/invocation of divine proclamation], would you do it? Maybe not, but their would be a greatly increased chance of this eventuality. Also, think about the uses of martyrdom (persuading people to die for faith) or crusades (persuading people t fight and die for faith) and some of thos suicide cults. It is not at all absurd that such blind obediance should occur.

No, by its nature the Bible is unverifiable. Claims that some of the more general and less specific points of faith (primarily the existence of God) are outright false are unverifiable. Saying that the Bible is unverifiable is simply stating the truth - we have no reliable documents or scientific proof to verify the Bible (Fact) so it is thus.

Fact: Historians class the Bible as an historical document. Although it is true that it is a debatable topic, it will always be classed as an Historical document.
Irrelevant and evidently not thought through. Herodotus' histories are an "historical document". If Herodotus tells me that flying snakes exist (as he does), do I believe him? Tacitus, Livy, Polybius, Ammianus Marcellinus etc have all written what are classed as 'historical documents'. If they tell me morality drives causation, do I believe them? If a revisionist denies the Holocaust in an historical book, which may be defined as an 'historical document', do I believe him? Similarly, if the Bible (which, due to its religious and incredulous nature, for which we have no other proof or verification, cannot be believed by itself, taken as reliable source for the existence of God , or seen as being necessarily trustworthy. It also throws around a lot of allegory/metaphor/deceptive language. Its status as an 'historical document' doesn't mean shit.

Fact: I never said we didn't evolve.
Fact: Individuals have free will.
Have you considered that indiviudals may be slaves to their own emotions and urges, and that they may not be able to contain or control them? Pure free will is once again a Biblical concept in the sense you use it, it is not an proven fact. If anything, it is a theory asserted as fact.

There is just as much evidence supporting the integrity of the Bible as their is against it. Also wouldn't it be common sense to abstain from sex until marriage in a society that is riddled with HIV/AIDS?
Integrity of the Bible in relation to what? It has many uses (for example, the history of the Jews). You have just thrown another Christian dichtomy into the mix.

In a similar vein to your idealism about intra-marital only, I could say, "isn't it common sense that we should stop destroying each other with wars?" Granted, the aim (in my instance, not yours) may be noble or (in both) practical, but 'common sense' would also tell you that these are not achievable and we cannot go against our nature and conditions.

My way of proving this comes from the Bible and everything it tells us about sex. Since you question the Bible then I doubt you will accept this as proof. Once again, you also have no way of proving that it is not.

Again my opinion reflects the ideas expressed in the Bible. In genesis we see that man was made in God's image and not in the image of the animals. Man is distinct from the animals and thus sex should not merely be seen as an animal instinct.
As said by others, it is wrong for you to assert such morals on others who disagree. Throw away your bedside book of after-dark lies. It is interesting you should quote genesis, because this is one part of the Bible that science has disproved (viz. contruction of the planet from elements made only in supernovae, dinosaurs, evolution...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
The teaching of self-discipline is probably one of the most important factors in enabling individuals to make healthy lifestyle choices. Also, condoms are useless if individuals choose not to use them.
Why, because sex is "unnatural"? More people would use condoms of the Catholic church didn't teach that it was wrong.

Not really.

Fact: Historians class the Bible as an historical document. Although it is true that it is a debatable topic, it will always be classed as an Historical document.
Just like the Illiad is considered a historical document. Interesting, but not wholly true.

Fact: I never said we didn't evolve.
Fact: Individuals have free will.

There is just as much evidence supporting the integrity of the Bible as their is against it. Also wouldn't it be common sense to abstain from sex until marriage in a society that is riddled with HIV/AIDS?
Because modern prophylactics render no-sex-before-marriage obsolete.

My way of proving this comes from the Bible and everything it tells us about sex. Since you question the Bible then I doubt you will accept this as proof. Once again, you also have no way of proving that it is not.
Because the Bible is no proof, just like the Iliad is no historical "proof".

Again my opinion reflects the ideas expressed in the Bible. In genesis we see that man was made in God's image and not in the image of the animals. Man is distinct from the animals and thus sex should not merely be seen as an animal instinct.
Genetics would disagree with you there. Man IS an animal, and thus sex is hormonally and physiologically driven. But hey, science! Unimportant, right?

God commanded man to be productive and increase in number. The fact that sex is pleasurable allows man to fulfill God's wishes in an intimate, enjoyable way.
And wasn't THAT a great idea.

kalamari

HSC
How can it be their fault or in any way due to their "selfishness" if they
(a) haven't learned anything about contraception (which was, as Sylvester stated, caused largely by the Catholic Church)
(b) are only trying to follow the teachings of the Church to the best of their ability.
a)The fact of the matter is the Church is teaching the best way to avoid HIV/AIDS. They teach what they believe in and if individuals choose to follow their teachings they will work.

b) Its hardly following the teachings of the Church "to the best of their ability" when most don't follow them at all.

I just can't understand why the Church can't understand that they can't just proclaim abstinence as the sole solution to AIDS when they KNOW that many people simply won't remain abstinent. What the Church provides isn't a realistic solution, rather a set of moral absolutes which will only serve to worsen the situation. It. Is. Irresponsible.
Yes, individuals choose to not follow what the Church is teaching. It.Is.Irresponsible to blame the Church.

I think a more suitable analogy is:

I join the army, and they tell me one sure-fire way not to get injured - don't get hit by bullets. However, this is insufficient training and I die. Can the army be held responsible? I know my answer.
My analogy was in regards to moll, as he persisted the Church was entirely responsible, just like your implying here. To say that is completely unreasonable.

It was one of Bushe's campaign points Kalamari. It's one of the reasons he had such a large proportion of the Catholic vote.
Noted, But does not change where I stand.

Ok, I don't want to get into a religious argument, but here I go.
Prove to me that God exists. Pretend that I believe all of the earthly events within the bible, and then with all this "evidence", prove to me that there is meaning behind the miracles, that God was behind it all, and that Jesus is God and not just a friendly miracle worker with a big ego.
Go.
Once again, prove to me that God doesn't exist and that the events in the Bible didn't happen.

Or you could remain on topic and read the many other threads created on this forum about this subject.

Basically, what the Church should say is "don't have sex, but if you do, use a condom" (only requiring my incantation after others because you see unable or unwilling to understand this). This way they satisfy their particular ideological need whilemaking sure that damage isn't done if this doctrine is ignored. I thought that modern Christian teaching had moved away from blatant victimisation. They have knowledge they are not expounding - knowledge that could help people. By refusing to acknowledge it to the Africans, they cause them damage and harm. Such an action goes against their basic moral code. Saying "don't have sex, or use contraception, and if you do thus you deserve whatever you get because you disobeyed our hallowed and God proven axiomatic lies", which has been the implicit tone of much said, is essentially a form of revenge - indirectly allowing someone to come to harm because they did something you think wrong. Wrath is a cardinal sin.
Another person questioning the integrity of Christianity. I'm glad you can read other people's posts and change the words around to suit your purpose. It didn't require your "incantation" at all. You seem unable and unwilling to accept my point of view, which yes does stem from my religious beliefs. If the Catholic Church taught things they did not believe in, it would go against their basic moral code. Furthermore, you might like to shift your focus from the implicit tone of whats being said and open your eyes to the fact that no matter what you argue you can't deny the fact that individuals are responsible for their own actions and are free to do as they please.

"Indirectly allowing someone to come to harm because they did something you think wrong."

But the individual allows himself exposure to direct harm by not wearing a condom once he has already done what I think is wrong.

Also, you asked another if they would jump off a cliff if you told em so? Let's put it in realistic terms. I am a person/org with great power. You have utter faith in me, you cling to every phoneme I breathe, you consider me your Lord, master and see obedience as necessary. Moreover, without me you will suffer (as you think) in eternity, the worse fate possible. Now, if I told you to jump of a cliff because of X [insert doctrine/invocation of divine proclamation], would you do it? Maybe not, but their would be a greatly increased chance of this eventuality. Also, think about the uses of martyrdom (persuading people to die for faith) or crusades (persuading people t fight and die for faith) and some of thos suicide cults. It is not at all absurd that such blind obediance should occur.
What happens if we look at it from the perspective of the law. You may be a law abiding citizen, then you break one "seemingly insignificant" law. What happens, you change from a law abiding citizen to a criminal. You don't get taught by society to break the law, but once it's done, you are an outcast criminal sent off to be alienated from society. Can we blame society for your outcast? After all your the one that made the decision to break the rules of society. Can we expect society to change its laws to accommodate the people who break them?

The church teaches what it holds important and you can not expect it to against its morals because individuals choose to turn their back from its teachings. There is, however, one difference with Christianity. Once you break the rules you can be forgiven:

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
1 John 1:9

No, by its nature the Bible is unverifiable. Claims that some of the more general and less specific points of faith (primarily the existence of God) are outright false are unverifiable. Saying that the Bible is unverifiable is simply stating the truth - we have no reliable documents or scientific proof to verify the Bible (Fact) so it is thus.

Irrelevant and evidently not thought through. Herodotus' histories are an "historical document". If Herodotus tells me that flying snakes exist (as he does), do I believe him? Tacitus, Livy, Polybius, Ammianus Marcellinus etc have all written what are classed as 'historical documents'. If they tell me morality drives causation, do I believe them? If a revisionist denies the Holocaust in an historical book, which may be defined as an 'historical document', do I believe him? Similarly, if the Bible (which, due to its religious and incredulous nature, for which we have no other proof or verification, cannot be believed by itself, taken as reliable source for the existence of God , or seen as being necessarily trustworthy. It also throws around a lot of allegory/metaphor/deceptive language. Its status as an 'historical document' doesn't mean shit.

Have you considered that indiviudals may be slaves to their own emotions and urges, and that they may not be able to contain or control them? Pure free will is once again a Biblical concept in the sense you use it, it is not an proven fact. If anything, it is a theory asserted as fact.
Not really.

Just like the Illiad is considered a historical document. Interesting, but not wholly true.

Because modern prophylactics render no-sex-before-marriage obsolete.

Because the Bible is no proof, just like the Iliad is no historical "proof".

Genetics would disagree with you there. Man IS an animal, and thus sex is hormonally and physiologically driven. But hey, science! Unimportant, right?

And wasn't THAT a great idea.
I find it hard to believe that you accuse Christians of forcing there morals onto other people when you constantly try and force your views on everyone else. I believe in the Bible and I trust the accounts within the Bible to hold 100% truth. So it would make sense that my reasoning to prove my views on various aspects of life would come from the Bible, would it not? I don't have to prove the integrity of the Bible to anyone. Just like you shouldn't have to prove the things you hold important. Can't we simply state our opinions and get on with the topic we are meant to be discussing?

Not according to your God's predestination, which I know you believe in.
.....This thread isn't about questioning God, predestination or any other issue you may have with Christianity.
There are thousands of articles, threads, videos and the like that discuss this topics. You can get started here: predestination - Google Search

HSC
I find it hard to believe that you accuse Christians of forcing there morals onto other people when you constantly try and force your views on everyone else. I believe in the Bible and I trust the accounts within the Bible to hold 100% truth. So it would make sense that my reasoning to prove my views on various aspects of life would come from the Bible, would it not? I don't have to prove the integrity of the Bible to anyone. Just like you shouldn't have to prove the things you hold important. Can't we simply state our opinions and get on with the topic we are meant to be discussing?[/URL]
The whole point of discussion is to critically examine the positions that you currently hold, and, if confronted with a better argument, to change them. Kwayera is clearly not being aggressive - she is stating why she believes your views are incorrect. Please counter her points, rather than hiding behind discourses of multicultural pluralism.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
HOW is it irresponsible to blame the Church?
Of course it all boils down to an individual's choice not to wear a condom, but should we not also look to the reasons behind that choice.

Actually, first I want you to answer a question, and answer it true, for it will determine the future direction of this thread. Do you think that using contraception is inherently wrong?
Answer this, and I'll get back to you with a few more questions, and if you have any, I'll answer them as well.

EDIT: With regards to the post above mine... I agree. Also, the difference between Kwayera "enforcing her views" and the Church doing it is that Kwayera's influence doesn't correlate to the deaths of millions. She just isn't that influential.

Last edited:

ablle

HSC
N/A
I don't have to prove the integrity of the Bible to anyone.
You do if you want me to take your opinion seriously. Otherwise I might as well base my morals on LoTR and claim that they are 100% right.

Just like you shouldn't have to prove the things you hold important.
Again, you do.

Can't we simply state our opinions and get on with the topic we are meant to be discussing?
Discussion involves more than simply stating opinions (as Persian said).

Also, is the Church actively preventing condoms from being sent over to Africa? If so, would this not be akin to preventing medicine from being sent?

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
You do if you want me to take your opinion seriously. Otherwise I might as well base my morals on LoTR and claim that they are 100% right.

Again, you do.

Also, is the Church actively preventing condoms from being sent over to Africa? If so, would this not be akin to preventing medicine from being sent?
1) Heh heh. LoTR.

2) I can't find evidence at the moment, but I think the Church prevents the distribution of condoms (which, yes, is akin to preventing medicine from being distributed). I do, however, know that the Church prevents the education of people in Africa and South America with regards to contraception. This is, in a way, worse.

kalamari

HSC

Again, you do.

- I take your opinion seriously and you can not prove to me that the Bible is wrong.

- It is not my responsibility to inform you about my beliefs when they are not imperative to the issue.

-
Can't we simply state our opinions and get on with the topic we are meant to be discussing?
Can't we just state our beliefs, morals, views then discuss how these relate to the topic. Instead of drifting on about discussion regarding predestination, the bible and all these other things you or I don't have the power to change. I agree discussion involves more then just opinion's but it also involves staying on topic.

Actually, first I want you to answer a question, and answer it true, for it will determine the future direction of this thread. Do you think that using contraception is inherently wrong?
Answer this, and I'll get back to you with a few more questions, and if you have any, I'll answer them as well.
yes.

The whole point of discussion is to critically examine the positions that you currently hold, and, if confronted with a better argument, to change them. Kwayera is clearly not being aggressive - she is stating why she believes your views are incorrect. Please counter her points, rather than hiding behind discourses of multicultural pluralism
I can't provide any more evidence to prove that the Bible is real, other then what is already out there (which I doubt many of you accept anyways). I believe in the Bible and everything in it, get over it. I never thought Kwayera was being aggressive so i don't know why you added that point.

Nobody is hiding behind the "discourses of multicultural pluralism." Multicultural pluralism is a fact. This means it is highly unlikely that anybody is going to change their views on faith over this forum, so instead I think it would be wise to shift focus back on topic.

HSC
I would be quite willing to change my mind about something if a good argument was presented for it on an internet forum

And so can you!

ablle

HSC
N/A
Why (besides any Biblical reasons)? Also, do you know it the Church is actually preventing condom distribution.

What is wrong with the Church saying "Faithful Catholics should abstain, but if you don't, you should use a condom because it will help protect you from HIV"?

kalamari

HSC
I would be quite willing to change my mind about something if a good argument was presented for it on an internet forum

And so can you!
Well clearly not about religious beliefs. What we learn about Christianity comes from the Bible, therefore because you question the truth of the Bible, I highly doubt that you could change your mind about christianity.

kalamari

HSC
Why (besides any Biblical reasons)?
My reasons are and will always be Biblical.

What is wrong with the Church saying "Faithful Catholics should abstain, but if you don't, you should use a condom because it will help protect you from HIV"?
What happens if we look at it from the perspective of the law. You may be a law abiding citizen, then you break one "seemingly insignificant" law. What happens, you change from a law abiding citizen to a criminal. You don't get taught by society to break the law, but once it's done, you are an outcast criminal sent off to be alienated from society. Can we blame society for your outcast? After all your the one that made the decision to break the rules of society. Can we expect society to change its laws to accommodate the people who break them?

The church teaches what it holds important and you can not expect it to against its morals because individuals choose to turn their back from its teachings. There is, however, one difference with Christianity. Once you break the rules you can be forgiven:

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Well that took me off guard... any reason behind this besides "the pope said so"?

Why (besides any Biblical reasons)? Also, do you know it the Church is actually preventing condom distribution.

This.

ablle

HSC
N/A
The church teaches what it holds important and you can not expect it to against its morals because individuals choose to turn their back from its teachings.
Am I to understand that the Church values its morals over the lives of other people, because that's what it sounds like. Educating people on the value of both abstinence and condom use (as well as providing condoms) would yield the best results (in my opinion, with no evidence). Instead, the Church is simply saying "Abstain or you're fucked" simply because a 2000 year old book says condoms are bad.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
My reasons are and will always be Biblical.
But... what biblical reason forbids the use of condoms? Is it the"spilling of the seed" crap?

Saying that the bible forbids the use of condoms is:
a) an archaic interpretation of the bible within a modern context, which does not take into account the circumstances of said context.
b) taken out of context within the bible. When God said "don't spill your seed y'all, better to put it in a whore" (or something to that effect) couldn't he have been referring to the specific situation at hand? If I recall, it was something about God wanting a guy to get a girl pregnant, the guy agreed, but then "spilled his seed" onto the ground, as he did not actually want to get the girl pregnant. God, then, could have been referring to the man's disobedience and not seed spilling in general.

Maybe I'm wrong about the bible reference, but I'm pretty sure that it's the passage from which Catholic derive their belief.
*Stalling for Iron to correct me*

kalamari

HSC
Am I to understand that the Church values its morals over the lives of other people, because that's what it sounds like. Educating people on the value of both abstinence and condom use (as well as providing condoms) would yield the best results (in my opinion, with no evidence). Instead, the Church is simply saying "Abstain or you're fucked" simply because a 2000 year old book says condoms are bad.
You just pick parts and don't read everything that's written, hence you get a warped interpretation.

There is, however, one difference with Christianity. Once you break the rules you can be forgiven:

So no your not "fucked."

Educating people on the value of both abstinence and condom use (as well as providing condoms) would yield the best results

I agree with you, however, in my opinion the Church shouldn't be expected to do this.

Last edited:
E

Empyrean444

Another person questioning the integrity of Christianity. I'm glad you can read other people's posts and change the words around to suit your purpose. It didn't require your "incantation" at all. You seem unable and unwilling to accept my point of view, which yes does stem from my religious beliefs. If the Catholic Church taught things they did not believe in, it would go against their basic moral code. Furthermore, you might like to shift your focus from the implicit tone of whats being said and open your eyes to the fact that no matter what you argue you can't deny the fact that individuals are responsible for their own actions and are free to do as they please.

"Indirectly allowing someone to come to harm because they did something you think wrong."

But the individual allows himself exposure to direct harm by not wearing a condom once he has already done what I think is wrong.
Do you understand what "shared responsibility" is? Do you understand that "free will" is not a proven fact? You have not actually dealt with an important issue, which is whether such freedom exists. If we see it as a continuum between total slavery and total free will, then yes, the human condition would be closer to utter freedom, but not completely their. The individual certainly takes a lot of responsibility, but the Church must also share a fair portion, because their preachings can influence these peoples' decisions. The Church can simply lie about the advantages of condoms so that, when the foolish doctrine of marital only fails, the will not use them. The Church guides and holds a huge influence over their decisions.

Yes, because the Church's morals and the law are exactly the same and having sex out of marriage is the equivalent of a capital crime.

I did not say the Church should break with its teachings per se because I didn't say that the Church ought to preach that people should have sex out of marriage. What I said it should teach is don't have sex out of marriage, but if you do break this moral, for your own safety, use a condom. This follows the basic moral structure while making sure that people are offered some degreee of protection from harm. Surely, as a moral institution, the Church should be trying to protect its acolytes? Forgiveness is a pretty shit deal if you get aids. Morals that make great allowances for, precipitate, encourage, exacerbate or directly cause harm are invalid. Since you moral fits at least the very most minor of these pts, it should be discarded.

I find it hard to believe that you accuse Christians of forcing there morals onto other people when you constantly try and force your views on everyone else. I believe in the Bible and I trust the accounts within the Bible to hold 100% truth. So it would make sense that my reasoning to prove my views on various aspects of life would come from the Bible, would it not? I don't have to prove the integrity of the Bible to anyone. Just like you shouldn't have to prove the things you hold important. Can't we simply state our opinions and get on with the topic we are meant to be discussing?
This is a debate over opinion. We are looking at the validity of each others' opinion. The issue rests within this realm. The problem is that, in Africa, the Church substitutes facts for its own opinion and contributes to harm being caused. It also preaches very controversial material to people not educationally/intellectually equipped to deal with it critically and make their own mind up and make informed decisions. They actually do not have a fullfreedom, as you claim. Knowledge liberates; falsity enslaves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)