Centrelink (1 Viewer)

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
Sorry for creating the millionth thread on centrelink, but I've been to the site, read it over, searched the forum, read the other threads and I still don't get it. I have no idea how this works. I'm a full-time uni student, not working but currently (desperately) looking. How do you go about getting money from centrelink.... as in what's the criteria they look at for full-time non-working uni students ?

My family situation: living at home, parents still married, both full-time workers with average incomes. Am i elligible for anything from centrelink ?

Also, anyone currenly receiving money from centrelink pls tell how you went about it, the process, what they looked at, did you lie, etc.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
You're classed as a dependant of your parents, which means their income decides whether or not you get anything. Chances are, with "average" incomes, you will not be eligible, but just go into a centrelink office and talk to one of the front desk peoples, they'll be able to tell you more.

Last edited:

asscookie

dork.
HSC
I get a youth allowance. I'm 18, not living at home, and doing year 12 this year. I filed my youth allowance under the "Unreasonable to live at home" thing, but for that I had to meet with the social worker at Centrelink a few times for it to be approved. I also had to have a family member and another person complete a booklet describing my situation in their own words.

If you're still living at home, your parents have to undergo a means test to determine whether or not you can get the youth allowance. If I had still been living at home there's no way I would have got ANY money from Centrelink as my parents earn over the bracket (even though I never got anything from them apart from the very basic stuff like food etc). This is the most annoying thing about the youth allowance, because they don't touch on it much in anything on the website or even in the application booklet.

There are a few different rates for youth allowance. Because I'm 18 and living away from home, and paying for everything, Centrelink considers me independent. If you're under 25 and living at home, Centrelink considers you dependent, which means you won't get much at all from them (provided you pass the parental means test). Basically, Centrelink makes you jump through hoops to get anything from them.

RB ~ CTC

Marvellous
HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
You're classed as an independant of your parents, which means their income decides whether or not you get anything. Chances are, with "average" incomes, you will not be eligible, but just go into a centrelink office and talk to one of the front desk peoples, they'll be able to tell you more.
classed as dependent, NOT independent. this is the exact opposite.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
RB ~ CTC said:
classed as dependent, NOT independent. this is the exact opposite.
yeah, sorry, realised that just as you were posting...blame it on week 7 uni stresses!

kalli

HSC
Annegelic said:
Sorry for creating the millionth thread on centrelink, but I've been to the site, read it over, searched the forum, read the other threads and I still don't get it. I have no idea how this works. I'm a full-time uni student, not working but currently (desperately) looking. How do you go about getting money from centrelink.... as in what's the criteria they look at for full-time non-working uni students ?

My family situation: living at home, parents still married, both full-time workers with average incomes. Am i elligible for anything from centrelink ?

Also, anyone currenly receiving money from centrelink pls tell how you went about it, the process, what they looked at, did you lie, etc.
From Website...
If your parent's taxable income for the 2003 - 2004 financial year is $28 850 or less (plus additional amounts for each dependent child other than yourself), your payment will not be affected by the income test.

If your parent/s have other dependent children, their taxable income can increase by the following amounts before it affects your payment:

-$1 230 for the first other dependent child aged under 16
-$2 562 for each additional dependent child aged under 16
-$3 792 for each dependent child:
aged between 16-24 in full-time study or
aged between 16-20 and seeking employment or
who receives a boarding allowance or second home allowance under the Assistance for Isolated Children scheme
-$7 585 for a tertiary student getting living away from home rate of Youth Allowance where there are two such children in the family.

The rate of payment payable is reduced by $1 for every $4 of income over these amounts.

Ok so say u are an only child.... If your parents earn over the rediculously low amount of $28 850 then your payment goes down by $1 for every $4 they are over...

If you have 2 brothers under 16 then your parents can earn up to $29 642 (28 850 + 1 230 + 2 562)...

So work out what your parents earn, how much they CAN earn (look above and count how many brothers and sisters you have and their situation) then figure out how much you will get...

Most people will end up getting nothing from the government because they dont want to support students at ALL. thats why i voted democrats...

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Take half an hour out of your life and go down to the centrelink office and book yourself in for an appointment. If you end up getting payments it will be the most amount of money you will get for 30minutes worth of effort in your life, if not then it is only 30minutes of your life used up and you have an official word on your situation. Make sure you take with you some figures on how much your parents earn and what assets they have.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
jezzmo said:
Annegelic..in all fairness, I don't think you should be lurking around centrelink trying to see "what you are able to get out of them"

If you were moving out for uni, then that's a whole different story. But if you're living at home and I'm assuming you aren't required to pay electricity/water bills etc.. then try and leave the centrelink money to those who otherwise would struggle to live adequately.
Apart from the disabled, NOONE needs Centrelink because they struggle to live adequately. I was in Centrelink with a friend a while back, and two people standing behind us were bitching about Centrelink. The guy apparently got his payment cancelled because he was about to physically assult a Centrelink worker, and he was back in there to sort out his payment so he won't have to get a job, I quote " I don't want that, I got abit lazy lately"

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
funky_a said:
Apart from the disabled, NOONE needs Centrelink because they struggle to live adequately.
i'm sure that's not the truth

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
jezzmo said:
Annegelic..in all fairness, I don't think you should be lurking around centrelink trying to see "what you are able to get out of them"

If you were moving out for uni, then that's a whole different story. But if you're living at home and I'm assuming you aren't required to pay electricity/water bills etc.. then try and leave the centrelink money to those who otherwise would struggle to live adequately.
ah see, I knew some people would see my post as me being a bum and trying to scab free money.
I could explain my whole situation to you and everyone else, but i won't waste my time since i have to study for and do an online exam for uni in a sec.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Good luck with the system..... I am finally hopefully going to be eligable for youth allowance in may after a year of working nearly full time hours almost every week while studying full time.....

I doubt your would be eligable though depending on how much your parents earn. If you live at home it is probably almost easier to work then trying to do the centrelink thing.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
iambored said:
i'm sure that's not the truth
Okay, I guess I didn't make my comment too understandable. I'm just saying, some disabled people NEED to rely on Centrelink to provide them with living expenses because they can't work or employers won't hire them. But apart from them, noone really NEEDS Centrelink to live, because they can get a job etc. But, some people still won't get jobs because the government is giving them money.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I doubt your would be eligable though depending on how much your parents earn. If you live at home it is probably almost easier to work then trying to do the centrelink thing.
I haven't tried getting Centrelink yet, but finding a job is NOT easy! I have been looking for a job since after Xmas because being a Xmas casual, people get rid of you straight away. And even then, I wasn't able to save much because the manager was a retarded bitch and there was 83747 other employees working there. And since then I have applied to every new job listed on sites, went in for only TWO interviews (one: rejection, and the other one, I'm still waiting).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Good luck with the system..... I am finally hopefully going to be eligable for youth allowance in may after a year of working nearly full time hours almost every week while studying full time.....
how did you do that? are you doing less subjects but still considered full time (at mac you are considered full time if you do anything from 9 to 14cp). do you not do uni work? have i asked you this before? i have asked someone

funky_a said:
Okay, I guess I didn't make my comment too understandable. I'm just saying, some disabled people NEED to rely on Centrelink to provide them with living expenses because they can't work or employers won't hire them. But apart from them, noone really NEEDS Centrelink to live, because they can get a job etc. But, some people still won't get jobs because the government is giving them money.
i know what you mean now
and seeing your post below that one i also know you realise how hard it can be to get a job

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
jezzmo said:
no no im not claiming you are a bum and trying to scab free money. i'm just saying that if that is the case, then you should reconsider.

ie. if you have a few days a week where you could work, then you should definitely get a job.

if there are reasons why you can't work or can't obtain enough money to live a normal uni student life (ie. goon and crackers :) ) then by all means..the system is there.
that is definitely not the case with me (being a bum and all). here's my story:
i worked at my first real job for a year and a half before getting laid off around last new year's, and have since been applying for jobs. been to a couple interviews, got a heap of rejection emails, etc and 4 months later.. still looking for a job. apparently no one wants you when you're a full-time uni student with no driver's licence and limited work experience. since starting uni, my parents are the biggest tightasses you'll ever meet. they expect me to pay for everything to do with uni, since apparently "when you turn 18 you're an adult who's not under parent contribution" lalala etc. all my textbooks are 2nd-hand and i've been living off my savings from my last job.. which won't last forever. so yeah, i've turned to centrelink. the end.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I have a full study load.... 24 cp (I think UTS's cp system is different to Macs, but that is a full load, you can't take any more subjects without special approval) I just have good time management I guess.... last year my subjects were all pass/fail, so I just had to get a pass. This year we are graded.

Someone asked me the other day how I survived..... I told them that "I just have big goals".... it's not that hard. My social life probably suffers quite a bit, but I don't have a non existant social life either.

Anyway.... I am eligable for YA on May 7! I am counting down the days I swear, it's such a long slog to qualify (especially if you don't take a year off.... but I was determined to come to uni straight away when I finished school, so that was my decision, and I knew what the concequences would be)

And to whoever said finding a job is not easy..... I have three. I have been offered 7 jobs since returning to Sydney 6 weeks ago from backpacking around New Zealand..... it takes a bit of effort, but finding a job in Sydney isn't that hard.... I mean, in my home town of Albury there are hardly any jobs, here in Sydney there are so many opportunities. Have you tried trekking around your neighborhood and physically asking people for work? Online apps are fine, but sometimes you need to pound the concrete to get a start. Also, are you being a job snob or are you willing to accept nearly anything? Also, if they haven't called you back, ring them and ask to show you are keen. It might be harder if you are looking in the outer suburbs etc though, cos I work in the CBD there is a lot of work to be had.

But I guess there is more motivation when you have rent to pay.... since moving to Sydney I haven't really had the option not to have a job. Otherwise I would be homeless and starving.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
As for the parents saying you should be financially accountable when you are 18.... well the government says that your parents have to support you until you are 25 now lol. That's the problem with claiming YA.... it's such a screwy system I reckon.

Generator

HSC
N/A
funky_a said:
That's quite an assumption.

braindrainedAsh said:
And to whoever said finding a job is not easy..... I have three. I have been offered 7 jobs since returning to Sydney 6 weeks ago from backpacking around New Zealand..... it takes a bit of effort, but finding a job in Sydney isn't that hard....
It might be harder if you are looking in the outer suburbs etc though, cos I work in the CBD there is a lot of work to be had.
Might be harder... Nice save :).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well I wouldn't know.... I have never looked in the outer suburbs for a job, and hence can't speak from experience!

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
It might be harder if you are looking in the outer suburbs etc though, cos I work in the CBD there is a lot of work to be had.
im out west as westernly possible. it's definitely much harder. i would LOVE to move to the city and transfer to a city uni and i'd easily get a job in the city since there's so many advertised everywhere >.<

braindrainedAsh said:
As for the parents saying you should be financially accountable when you are 18.... well the government says that your parents have to support you until you are 25 now lol. That's the problem with claiming YA.... it's such a screwy system I reckon.
really where ?! i'ma print that out and staple it to my parents door

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)