Centrelink (1 Viewer)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
As for the parents saying you should be financially accountable when you are 18.... well the government says that your parents have to support you until you are 25 now lol. That's the problem with claiming YA.... it's such a screwy system I reckon.
Please point out where the government says this..
I don't work at Centrelink but I would guess that the reason you have dep/indep limits is because logically if you don't earn enough in an 18 month period to realistically support yourself by yourself then you must be getting assistance from somewhere or not declaring all your income. It's to stop a lot of people from going to centrelink and saying "Oh umm I earnt $500 last year but I drive a 20k car, pay $220 a week rent and buy everything myself, honest!".

Now people still go through the cracks but you don't have wave after wave of people coming in trying for indep status and staff having to spend weeks trying to verify it all. It's all nice and neatly written down, earn X in Y months and we will class you accordingly.

Same as being classed a full time student. Do a certain amount of hours you are full time, do less and you're unemployed not a student.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, if you don't earn the money, you are "dependant" on your parents until you are 25.... hence you are their financial responsibility. The government isn't going to pay for you even if you are unemployed (if your parents earn above the certain income/assets thresholds), hence your parents have to.

It's pretty crazy in my opinion. One of my mum's friends had this son who just wouldn't do anything.... he couldn't get on government money until he was like 23 or something so they had to pay for everything of his, and he wasn't even studying.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
Well, if you don't earn the money, you are "dependant" on your parents until you are 25
Who says? Not the government, you can quite easily be reliant on someone other than parents at that age. There is no law telling parents they have to support you past 18 years old. Some people get kicked out of home earlier. So it's not the government that is making the determination that the parents should support you, you can always sign a piece of paper stating otherwise.

braindrainedAsh said:
It's pretty crazy in my opinion. One of my mum's friends had this son who just wouldn't do anything.... he couldn't get on government money until he was like 23 or something so they had to pay for everything of his, and he wasn't even studying.
So tell me the part in this story where the government is at fault this individual didn't want to do anything and that my tax dollars should start paying for him to be like this from the time he leaves school? I would hazard a guess that it is individuals like this that the rules are actively trying to weed out. If you are not willing to do anything then welfare payments will only get harder to obtain in the future, fair or not that is the reality.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Argh I simply said that if you don't work and your parents earn over the threshold you are dependant on them according to centrelink until you are 25, unless other circumstances arise. It used to be 21, but they changed it when the introduced youth allowance.

In the example I gave, I didn't say I thought the government should give him money, I was just saying that to show that parents have to pay for their kids unless they work until they are 25 now.... it used to be 21. I am by no means saying that the person mentioned in the example above deserves money..... he was a lazy shit.

I've been really tired the last few days and haven't been able to write down what is in my mind in a very intelligent way!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
jezzmo said:
Annegelic..in all fairness, I don't think you should be lurking around centrelink trying to see "what you are able to get out of them"

If you were moving out for uni, then that's a whole different story. But if you're living at home and I'm assuming you aren't required to pay electricity/water bills etc.. then try and leave the centrelink money to those who otherwise would struggle to live adequately.
My parents can't afford to pay for me for most things. I personally think that I deserve to get the money more than someone who is 30 years old and can't be arsed to get a job. I'm at uni full time. I can only afford to work once a week as I'm studying very intently. I think I deserve to be getting paid money. In fact, chances are I will be receiving money if my application is passed.
Sure others need it as well, and thats why they will be receiving greater amounts then me.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
jezzmo said:
no no im not claiming you are a bum and trying to scab free money. i'm just saying that if that is the case, then you should reconsider.

ie. if you have a few days a week where you could work, then you should definitely get a job.

if there are reasons why you can't work or can't obtain enough money to live a normal uni student life (ie. goon and crackers :) ) then by all means..the system is there.
Oh and I bloody well wish that I could have time for goon and crackers but I really don't. Unis more intense for me then for many others and I believe that it is my right as a former tax-payer and since my parents are tax-payers to receive money from the government during the times when I am studying.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
And to whoever said finding a job is not easy..... I have three. I have been offered 7 jobs since returning to Sydney 6 weeks ago from backpacking around New Zealand
You do realise a lot of people on these forums lack social skills required for a casual retail job. Also many aim too high. I find it easy to find a job, but ive had excellent experience and plus employers instantly like me. However, for many people it is simply a case of rejection after rejection as they dont fit the job profile. It's deffinately not easy for many

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah sorry jezzmo your initial post was kind of retarded, having spent about 2000 on fees, textbooks, etc this semester alone, i cant believe you would find that unless you're paying your own electricity bills you should "leave centrelink to people who need it"

aaaannyways, i finally applied for youth allowance last week, havent heard anything yet but cant wait til it goes through. braindrainedash are you gonna continue to work when you get it, and if so, are you going to work the 8 hrs maximum or go over(and recieve less YA next yr)?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm keeping my job at coles, where I am on a part time 12 hour contract, so I will just be working that, so I will be going a bit over and losing some of the payment, but it doesn't really bother me. I also might do a bit of hospitality work every now and then.

I'm a bit of a workaholic, it will be very strange to go back to not working much!!! It will be very much appreciated though, especially by my neglected uni work.... I mean I have barely had anything published for journo because I have been so busy, I really need to get youth allowance to do work experience and stuff to make my degree more useful.

It's so difficult to claim it though.... like all the documentation you need etc, it actually takes a while to get it organized.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
the worst part was, when i had my interview, she didnt even look at the most important documents (e.g bank statement), didnt even photocopy them! said that she didnt need them. for fucks sake.

btw ash, i managed to find a loophole and get it earlier through getting a letter from my school saying my last day of attendance was 26th september... which means im eligible now and dont have to wait til may

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Serious? The trouble with me is that all of the principal/vice principal/year advisor left when I finished school, so I don't really have any "connections" left at my school. I need to get a letter from them though because otherwise they are taking it from the end of term 4 because I don't have any other way to prove when I finished.....

I asked them if I could use my HSC academic transcript (to show what subjects I did) along with a copy of the 2003 HSC timetable to prove when my exams finished.... they said that wasn't enough proof! WTF!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)