Chances of getting in and should I pursue a bridging course? (1 Viewer)

Jay123

HSC
That's not exactly how it works with bonus points. Bonus points only help with admission to programs where you have missed the cut-off but a certain amount, but have exceeded that amount in these bonus points. UAC does nothing here.

To put things into perspective with the good old beer analogy, imagine you have a glass of beer. Now the cut-off is some line marked on the glass. What happens is that your actual ATAR is the actual liquid of the beer. Now at the top you have foam at the top. Both these volumes can vary quite a bit. So what happens is that the bonus points you get are the foam at the top.

Now depending on the program you have as a preference, the foam can be real or imaginary. Meanwhile the liquid of the beer stays the same at all times and will never vary. You will have a specific amount of foam given to you as these are the bonus points. In the end, what you need is the total of adding the volume of beer and foam to surpass the volume which is the cut-off (which is marked on the glass as a line).

Does this make sense? A bit confusing at first but when you get it you can use this analogy for a lot of things like this (Real and Complex Power ftw!), definitely including bonus points.
Hi thanks for the reply, makes sense. Im just worried about whether i should apply for a bridging course. I got a 92.55 atar (somehow highest, went to a bad govt school) and was awarded the AAA. My first preference was commerce/engineering at unsw which is 96.3. If i get 2 points from hsc plus, plus the 3 from AAA, that gives me 5 total bonus points, which would give me an entrance rank of 97.55 for commerce/engineering. Would it be safe to assume i would get in? Is is likely that the cut off for this program could increase further than 96.3. Just worried since bridging courses for unsw have to be paid for by the 16th and its $380 upfront from what i gather.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There is a good chance you will make the cut (update us though as really the wording is not exactly certain on AAA).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
AAA is in UNSW Academic Achievement Award.
Nah what I mean is that in past years for the 3 points for AAA there was one ambiguity with the terms that gave me this slight uncertainty.

I just checked the site now and it removed my previous ambiguity now. So yes, your entrance mark will be 97.55 for Commerce/Engineering. The cut off has not raised much in previous years so you should be fine. However, I'm hoping you have already made a contingency plan just in case.

Jay123

HSC
Nah what I mean is that in past years for the 3 points for AAA there was one ambiguity with the terms that gave me this slight uncertainty.

I just checked the site now and it removed my previous ambiguity now. So yes, your entrance mark will be 97.55 for Commerce/Engineering. The cut off has not raised much in previous years so you should be fine. However, I'm hoping you have already made a contingency plan just in case.
Ahk, thanks a heap man. Yeah, i've got a contingency plan in case my first choice doesn't work out.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Is the bridging course refundable if you withdraw from a certain date? You could pay now and wait for the release of results on the 21st of Jan (?) and apply for a refund. This info should be available on the bridging course website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)