Changing school (1 Viewer)

iamdumdum

HSC
hello, i want to change to Fort street high school, im wondering if there is a chance for me.
i get a's in science and maths and can just scrape a B in english. im changing schools because im afraid i have to do standard english in my school and i know for a fact that i can do advanced english well. Its just that i did not do too well in english this year compared to last year.
Can someone give me a few tips on how to do well in the entrance exams to fort street

russ3l

HSC
I don't know how difficult Fort Street's entrance exam is but I've heard that if you rape the exam (i.e. manage to get top 5 out of all the applicants) then you should have a good chance on getting accepted. :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of report,
I know a guy who got like 2As, 2Cs (one of these was English) and rest Bs in his Year 10 half-yearly report and managed to get into Fort Street.
This was because his maths was just James-Ruse level (he was like doing 4U maths on his own outside of school in Year 10)... and this helped him in the Fort Street entrance exam...

Also, ask your current school whether you need certain marks to get into advanced english or not.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
My friend managed to get into Fort Street last year with a few A's, mostly B's and a C. I assume the reason that she made it in was because of her extra-curricular activities and her participation in academic competitions. So if you don't have the grades to make it in, I suggest you participate in academic competitions and do a lot of extra-curricular activities. As for the entrance exam, just study as much as you can because the school chooses the questions.

TerenceM

HSC
Lol ace the test and show your extra curriculars! I currently attend fort street xD

iamdumdum

HSC
do u guys know the average candidates per year and how much of them are successful

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
do u guys know the average candidates per year and how much of them are successful
I hear for those state selective schools, you're looking at around 20 vacancies? This is what I'm led to believe, someone correct me please if I am wrong.

HSC
I hear for those state selective schools, you're looking at around 20 vacancies? This is what I'm led to believe, someone correct me please if I am wrong.
This year we had about 17 new people, I would say 20 is probably an average number for decent sized fully selective schools for year 10-11. It depends on how they spread the proportion of their intake from years 8-11. and the number of people leaving each year. I'm not sure about how many actually apply though.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
depends on the school, but I've heard some schools may well have like 60ish or 80ish candidates per grade each year... (well, it may vary depending on the school's popularity)

So around 20% of the candidates will be successful in Entry to Year 11. (Entry to Year 11 or during Year 10 is the best opportunity with more likely chances of making it in)
And around like 5% of the candidates will be successful in Entry to Years 8 to 10.

TerenceM

HSC
If you ace the entrance exam, you're most likely to get in and I believe they accept around 20 this year :D Good luck

Amunoruk

HSC
Do any of you guys know what kind of questions will be in any of the exams? I know this sounds vague, but I am planning to apply for it this year, but I am worried I might be studying the wrong thing for the entrance exam. Will there be 2U Maths sort of questions or more advanced? Also what kind of topics will there be? (trig, log). Any reply will be very useful, and I thank you before hand! ^^

sabz1996

HSC
I think its just a high year 10 standard... im pretty sure it is

sabz1996

HSC
By the way does anyone have any info on St. George Girls?
I'll be very thankful :D

such_such

HSC
I did the test last year and lol, I kicked myself so hard because I didn't try. But now that I look at it, it was so easy. I remember some questions there were in previous school cert exams and yeah. I know a guy who wrote one paragraph for english but absolutely aced maths and he came 3rd I think.

As long as you have good time management, the test is quite easy.. for maths. For English I remember we had to write about pop culture and I had no idea what that was.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
You can just do eng adv at tafe, oten or distance high school.
Heaps of people accelerate subjects, particularly maths, that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)