Changing subjects? (1 Viewer)

Shedow

HSC
Is it permissable to pick up a course (eg. music) in year 12, without having done it in the preliminary year?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
no.

Because since a HSC course builds up on the preliminary coures:

a) No teacher/principal/careers advisor would ever allow you
b) Its a fairly moronic idea.

ellen.louise

HSC
no. you HAVE to do the prelim course first. you also cannot:

1)pick up an extra unit of the subject unless picking up an extension available only in year 12 (eg. you can't go from maths 2U to 3U but you CAN go from 3U to 4U)

2)go to a higher level of that subject eg. maths general to maths advanced

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Aren't you required to complete certain hours for the Preliminary anyways?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
Yes it is possible.

The above members who have said no it isn't possible and it's moronic etc are incorrect.

You need to talk to your school subject co-ordinator about this. Not all schools will allow you to pick up a subject halfway through prelim/at the start of year 12. It will depend on your school's willingness to assist you in doing this, their opinions on your ability etc. To complete a HSC course you need to have 'satisfactorily completed the prelim component' - to overcome this most schools that allow you to pick up a subject in year 12 will ask you to complete prelim assessments, or other requirements to meet this...You need to be willing to work hard to pick up a subject in year 12.

I recommend you talking to your subject co-ordinator straight away to find out whether your school would support you in this, and what sort of requirements you would have to meet etc. This is for 2 reasons:
1. There's no point worrying about/planning it if your school won't allow it
2. The sooner you decide and talk to your school the sooner you can get started on catching up :)

This is very good advice.

You can do it (though it isn't simple).

You do have to show that you have satisfactorily completed the preliminary course.

With a subject like Music the practical would also have to be considered - are you having lessons and therefore covering the practical component - if so then it might be easier than some other subjects but if you aren't having lessons then you may have problems satisfying the preliminary requirements.

As a teacher I don't advise it but have seen it done at my school successfully.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)