Cheating punishments? (1 Viewer)

sunsettah

HSC
I have been accused of cheating in my English Modules exam.

In the first exam, i found it annoying to have to keep turning back to my notes page. And so in my second exam I decided I'd rip up small bits of paper and write on them instead.

I found a piece of blank paper in my pencil case, and ripped that into 3. Then ripped another 3 pieces off the back on my exam. The blank pile sat on my desk, and a supervisor checked it over to make sure it was blank, and I told her I was going to write on them once writing commenced.

At the commencement of the exam, I scribbled down every chapter note, quote, sentence, number, and word poem i could remember to try and help my essay. I finished these notes after 10-15 minutes, and then was about to start my exam when another examiner took them off me.

The examiners collaborated, and decided not to give them back. And they've accused me of cheating ( I guess because the notes had so much writing on them ) and I had to write a statement to send to the board of studies.

There wasn't much space on this paper, and I have a depressive form of bipolar and often have bad times recalling things appropriately and saying what i mean when pressure is put on me.

I explained myself in the statement and said that the supervisor checked over the blank pile. But then when I re-read my statement later, I realised I forgot to mention that I had the blank piece in my pencil case.

I offered the examiners a second statement once I realised, but they didn't accept it. And said I would have to wait until the Board of Studies contact me with their conclusion and punishment.

I will now look guilty, for having changed my statement. And they can't prove I'm innocent, but they can't prove i am guilty.

I am really worried as to whether I will lose my HSC - I'm only doing 10 units.

Surely they can't prove anything, so will let it go, seeing as i did the exam without my perfectly legal notes anyway?

I can't find any policies online to help me.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i hope it turns out fine. seems to be a misunderstanding.

but are you even allowed to bring in blank paper?

sunsettah

HSC
i was never told i couldn't.. and i wasnt provided with any so i figured i wasn't doing anything wrong.

smelnizzle

HSC
Uni Grad
shit that sounds pretty crap.

well.. i know it'll be hard, but try not to think about it for the time being - it's out of your hands atm, and you did what you could.

instead.. try to focus on english extension on friday, and this time dont bring extra paper and stick to what you had to do in paper 1 - rather safe than sorry.
(as well as bio which is sooner.)

Last edited:

BillEvans

HSC
Shit....hope everything turns out fine for you...

You werent told you couldnt bring in paper? At every exam i've sat for so far...they've read out the same rules at the start.."Any paper, notes or anauthorised material is not allowed and should be handed over to markrs and can be gotten at end bla bla"

If they didnt read out those rules then that's a fairly simple argument for you.....i'm sure if the fuckers downgrade you, you could take it further.

terminator69

HSC
You took in external pieces of scrap paper which then had notes written all over them, it's your own stupid fault.

i was never told i couldn't.. and i wasnt provided with any so i figured i wasn't doing anything wrong.
You figured wrong and failed to read the BOS rules and procedures that were provided to you. "You must not:" "take into the examination room, or refer to during the examination" "any paper".

hairspray

HSC
Isnt it common sense not to bring paper (even if it is blank) or anything except your pens into an examination room? If u wanted scrap paper you could've just asked the supervisors. And why dont u have a little chat with that supervisor that saw ur blank pieces of paper.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
unlucky
the exam supervisors can be cunts
at other times innocent old women.

hairspray

HSC
Lay off her, i'm quite sure she realizes she has made a mistake already without you fools laying into her at what is a hugely stressful situation.

OK... i realise I must be more empathetic towards her situation. On that note, dw about it, the hsc isn't everything and remember you will learn from your mistakes ^^

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
OK... i realise I must be more empathetic towards her situation. On that note, dw about it, the hsc isn't everything and remember you will learn from your mistakes ^^
Easy for you to say.

OP: I don't think you even are allowed to bring paper into the exam. In which case, you broke the rules, and the 'I-didn't-know' defense really will not hold up. However, based on just humanity, I think you may get off.

But it doesn't look good. And you cannot use this excuse: "Surely they can't prove anything, so will let it go, seeing as i did the exam without my perfectly legal notes anyway?"

It's not the fact that you did the exam with the notes, it's the fact that the examiners believe that you had the -intent- to use notes.

But seriously, all the best - your situation just sucks. =\

kwabon

Banned
HSC
i am sure it will turn out to be a big misunderstanding, i advise you to talk to the supervisors privately and explaining in detail what happened, and ask the supervisor who checked your blank piece of paper before the exam to be your witness. dw you will not lose you HSC, concentrate on the upcoming exams and all will be well.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Good luck. Even if they give you a 0 for your modules you might still be able to get a Band 3 overall depending on your performance in Paper 1.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
You should try get the name of the examiner you told about the paper first, and your intentions and have them give a testimony.
It may also be useful to have both the statements of yourself and the supervisors involved in the form of a statutory declaration, if you haven't done so already.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If the BOS rules against you, and there is no guarantee that they will, you could lose the entire English paper, the Modules paper or a percentage penalty on the course.

My understanding is that you will get a chance to verbally give a statement as well but it is essential that you get to the examiner who examined your papers and get them to fill in a statutory declaration. That is your best chance of no penalty - proof that you weren't cheating. Without that it will be your word against the rules.

boxhunter91

HSC
Exactly as above.
Find the person who examind the papers.
That will def clear you. or put your punishment down.

Liyo

HSC
If you can't find the supervisor, maybe you can ask the people that sat around you if they saw the supervisor checking your paper.
hope it all works out ><

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
If the BOS rules against you, and there is no guarantee that they will, you could lose the entire English paper, the Modules paper or a percentage penalty on the course.

My understanding is that you will get a chance to verbally give a statement as well but it is essential that you get to the examiner who examined your papers and get them to fill in a statutory declaration. That is your best chance of no penalty - proof that you weren't cheating. Without that it will be your word against the rules.
And if the BOS does rule against you, you might want to consider talking to your lawyer...

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
From the HSC rules and procedures book:
you must not:
take into the examination room, or refer to during the examination, any books or notes, this booklet, the examination timetable, any paper, or any equipment other than the equipment listed in the examination timetable

you have no case it is your responsibility to know these rules, you can not take other paper into the exam. However the supervisor should of taken them from you before the exam.

Freakstyler09

HSC
I have been accused of cheating in my English Modules exam.

In the first exam, i found it annoying to have to keep turning back to my notes page. And so in my second exam I decided I'd rip up small bits of paper and write on them instead.

I found a piece of blank paper in my pencil case, and ripped that into 3. Then ripped another 3 pieces off the back on my exam. The blank pile sat on my desk, and a supervisor checked it over to make sure it was blank, and I told her I was going to write on them once writing commenced.

At the commencement of the exam, I scribbled down every chapter note, quote, sentence, number, and word poem i could remember to try and help my essay. I finished these notes after 10-15 minutes, and then was about to start my exam when another examiner took them off me.

The examiners collaborated, and decided not to give them back. And they've accused me of cheating ( I guess because the notes had so much writing on them ) and I had to write a statement to send to the board of studies.

There wasn't much space on this paper, and I have a depressive form of bipolar and often have bad times recalling things appropriately and saying what i mean when pressure is put on me.

I explained myself in the statement and said that the supervisor checked over the blank pile. But then when I re-read my statement later, I realised I forgot to mention that I had the blank piece in my pencil case.

I offered the examiners a second statement once I realised, but they didn't accept it. And said I would have to wait until the Board of Studies contact me with their conclusion and punishment.

I will now look guilty, for having changed my statement. And they can't prove I'm innocent, but they can't prove i am guilty.

I am really worried as to whether I will lose my HSC - I'm only doing 10 units.

Surely they can't prove anything, so will let it go, seeing as i did the exam without my perfectly legal notes anyway?

I can't find any policies online to help me.
Man that's pretty gay, I hope it works out for you, don't give up your fight, it wasn't entirely your fault.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)