Chem Eng -> Education (1 Viewer)

burningcold

HSC
Hey,

So basically I'm doing chem eng atm which I'm finding alright but teaching science is high school (particularity physics) is one of the things I have always wanted to do. My plan atm is to finish my chem eng degree -> do dip ed and find a job as a teacher like a boss but it now I'm reconsidering this as it seems like the long way to go (finding work experience to graduate etc) and engineering is really going to kick off in the next couple of years and if I manage to graduate, might as well find a job as an engineering. I'm not even sure if you can go from chem eng into teaching, any advice from bos?

Thanks

Bettermarkk

HSC
Hey,

So basically I'm doing chem eng atm which I'm finding alright but teaching science is high school (particularity physics) is one of the things I have always wanted to do. My plan atm is to finish my chem eng degree -> do dip ed and find a job as a teacher like a boss but it now I'm reconsidering this as it seems like the long way to go (finding work experience to graduate etc) and engineering is really going to kick off in the next couple of years and if I manage to graduate, might as well find a job as an engineering. I'm not even sure if you can go from chem eng into teaching, any advice from bos?

Thanks
I think you would need prequisuites if you wanted to do chemistry, im doing a science/education degree and doing a double major, my second major is chemistry which i only have to complete 4 courses in to teach it, so i think if you have done 4 chemistry courses you would be qualified (if doing the diploma of ed), however i think that is applies to my program only? Email the school of education, they always have the best answers.
Thats so weird im wanting to transfer from education to medicine or engineering lol. lets swap hahah

Last edited:

Jinks

HSC
Im pretty sure that you can do a grad dip in edu after almost any undergraduate degree. You can also do it anytime after you graduate so why not finish your degree, find work see what it's like, if you enjoy it etc. If so keep at it, if not do a grad dip in edu and make the switch to teaching.

burningcold

HSC
Thanks for the replies. What I'm thinking atm is to switch to BSci+BEdu (a 4 year course) if my wam is high enough. I don't see the point in staying for 5 years all up @ uni if it can be done in 4. Provided I pass this semester, I would have finished Physics 1A, Mats1011, Maths 1131, Eng1000, Maths1231, Biom1010, Ceic1001 (engineering chemistry) and eng1811. Hopefully some of those subjects would carry over to BSci+BEdu. Also, is it true you can't hex the summer courses?

Bettermarkk

HSC
Thanks for the replies. What I'm thinking atm is to switch to BSci+BEdu (a 4 year course) if my wam is high enough. I don't see the point in staying for 5 years all up @ uni if it can be done in 4. Provided I pass this semester, I would have finished Physics 1A, Mats1011, Maths 1131, Eng1000, Maths1231, Biom1010, Ceic1001 (engineering chemistry) and eng1811. Hopefully some of those subjects would carry over to BSci+BEdu. Also, is it true you can't hex the summer courses?
Yeah just transfer. To do science you would have to do at least one physics so Phys 1a, one down, and if ur doing physics major, maths1131 and maths1231 count. So thats 3 subjects down, wow almost a whole semester. So its good. About the hecs thing, i heard its only ASB courses that dont count but i'll double check and get back to you cos i have to do chem1021 in the summer :\

burningcold

HSC
Yeah just transfer. To do science you would have to do at least one physics so Phys 1a, one down, and if ur doing physics major, maths1131 and maths1231 count. So thats 3 subjects down, wow almost a whole semester. So its good. About the hecs thing, i heard its only ASB courses that dont count but i'll double check and get back to you cos i have to do chem1021 in the summer :\
Also hopefully I could probably put some other courses under gen ed or as electives.

Well doing chem in summer sucks but at least you might be able to hex it :p

Also I've heard that Dip Ed (1yr course) is being phased out in favor of Masters Teaching (2 year course), this true?

edit:

With science, whats up with the major/minor thing? So lets say I'm fine with teaching physics/chem/bio/maths, am I allowed to mix and match different streams e.g. doing all of 1st year physics + and 1st year maths but having a degree in biology or something like that?

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
if your ATAR was high enough for engg then apply through UAC and there's no way your WAM could drag you down enough to not get into education
But check with the uni because you might only need a pass average to internal transfer

The units you have there will either count towards the BSc part of the double degree or will count as gen eds so you're fine to transfer now. ^_^

Apparently you can HECS summer school at UNSW from what I've heard
You can't at USyd but I think you can everywhere else

Also hopefully I could probably put some other courses under gen ed or as electives.

Also I've heard that Dip Ed (1yr course) is being phased out in favor of Masters Teaching (2 year course), this true?

edit:

With science, whats up with the major/minor thing? So lets say I'm fine with teaching physics/chem/bio/maths, am I allowed to mix and match different streams e.g. doing all of 1st year physics + and 1st year maths but having a degree in biology or something like that?
this is true afaik.

Can you explain your edit further?
What is your plan?
What final outcome do you want specifically?

Bettermarkk

HSC

edit:

With that im not sure. What im doing is, majoring in physiology(biology), so i have 2 mandatory chemistry subjects within the biology major. With my open electives (5, 1 for physics, 1 for a earthenviro sub, and extra 2 chemistries and one other) So with these two extra chemistry courses i will be able to teach chemistry (4 subs in another science other than main major), therefore sort of having a double major as i would be eligible to teach both bio and chem in yr 11/12

burningcold

HSC
if your ATAR was high enough for engg then apply through UAC and there's no way your WAM could drag you down enough to not get into education
But check with the uni because you might only need a pass average to internal transfer
Awesome but I should have a chat with the school of education or whatever eh

this is true afaik.
Not good, this is going to make mid career changes hard

Riproot;6396391Can you explain your edit further? What is your plan? What final outcome do you want specifically?[/QUOTE said:
Well what I want to do is learn a bit of everything really so it is possible do just do enough of say physics to be legible for teaching physics, but meanwhile doing basic biology and chemistry as well but not really graduating with any major?

[/B]

With that im not sure. What im doing is, majoring in physiology(biology), so i have 2 mandatory chemistry subjects within the biology major. With my open electives (5, 1 for physics, 1 for a earthenviro sub, and extra 2 chemistries and one other) So with these two extra chemistry courses i will be able to teach chemistry (4 subs in another science other than main major), therefore sort of having a double major as i would be eligible to teach both bio and chem in yr 11/12
haha that's what I'm looking at (physiology), how is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)