Chem for Med (1 Viewer)

Samir97

HSC
How much will doing chem for HSC help me in my application for medicine? What modules are best to learn for it? Because I may drop chem to do phys coz i find phys easier and I can spend more tine on English and Community/Volunteer work, since I did my bio and 3u hsc this year.

My subs:
Advanced Eng
3/4u maths
Bio
Phys
Chem (probably will drop)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
It's useful I guess but far from necessary and you can easily cover the basics needed during the course or with a bridging course, I would say biology is more applicable tbh

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
How you ever thought this topic was not about school (hence non-school) is beyond me.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Do chemistry, if you don't like chemistry, I would find it hard to believe that you actually want to be MBBS/MD.

bangladesh

HSC
Doing chemistry is actually extremely important if you want to do med. Way more important than biology/phys. It is a prerequisite in 3-4 universities in QLD and all unis in nsw and vic recommend you to do it. If you are THINKING of doing medicine, chemistry is a must. Biology is also recommended. Chemistry helps you so much during your first year. (as well as biology)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
So you're only doing english, 4U maths and physics this year? Why not keep chem as well? Non-accelerated people have to do 10 units in their HSC year, I'm sure you'll manage 8.

Samir97

HSC
Do chemistry, if you don't like chemistry, I would find it hard to believe that you actually want to be MBBS/MD.
I do really like chemistry but my marks are higher in physics, and I dont do much for physics coz its all maths, so I can have more time for english and volunteer/community stuff

Samir97

HSC
Doing chemistry is actually extremely important if you want to do med. Way more important than biology/phys. It is a prerequisite in 3-4 universities in QLD and all unis in nsw and vic recommend you to do it. If you are THINKING of doing medicine, chemistry is a must. Biology is also recommended. Chemistry helps you so much during your first year. (as well as biology)
I can easily learn the chem course during my time at school, but i dont need to take the exams or assessment tasks, because my english is weak and i need to work on it heaps

Samir97

HSC
So is it a must that I take the exam for HSC or am I still allowed to do med by just learning the course but not sitting the HSC exam?

Samir97

HSC
So is it a must that I take the exam for HSC or am I still allowed to do med by just learning the course but not sitting the HSC exam?
Esp at those unis where it is a prerequisite?

Samir97

HSC
So you're only doing english, 4U maths and physics this year? Why not keep chem as well? Non-accelerated people have to do 10 units in their HSC year, I'm sure you'll manage 8.
I was thinking about that too, but now I believe I should focus more on my english, top my 4u and phys aswell, so i have more time for extra-curricular.

Samir97

HSC
Guys, if a university puts Chemistry as a prerequisite for medicine, does that mean I nedd to have done that subject in my HSC or I just need to know the subject to help me in the uni course? Because I can learn the HSC chem course easy, no problem, but phys is just easier marks for me because it correlates with maths a lot.

Samir97

HSC
And also, what modules in Chem HSC are useful in medicine? All or just a few, and which ones if just a few?

bangladesh

HSC
Guys, if a university puts Chemistry as a prerequisite for medicine, does that mean I nedd to have done that subject in my HSC or I just need to know the subject to help me in the uni course? Because I can learn the HSC chem course easy, no problem, but phys is just easier marks for me because it correlates with maths a lot.
lol.. you're so up yourself... Chemistry might seem easy for now but unless you maintain a good study habit, you won't get a band 6 in it. And yes, Unis such as UQ and JCU and GU have chemistry as a prerequisite meaning you will HAVE to do the course or else you won't be accepted in their mbbs/md courses. Bridging courses aren't available for med as the admission process is finished before any bridging courses commence.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
lol.. you're so up yourself... Chemistry might seem easy for now but unless you maintain a good study habit, you won't get a band 6 in it. And yes, Unis such as UQ and JCU and GU have chemistry as a prerequisite meaning you will HAVE to do the course or else you won't be accepted in their mbbs/md courses. Bridging courses aren't available for med as the admission process is finished before any bridging courses commence.
Lol, I wouldn't put it that way, but he's right. HSC chem isn't as easy as you think. Plus, as I said before, you would still only be doing 8 units. It's much easier doing chem at high school than doing a bridging course.

Samir97

HSC
Lol, so for those unis I MUST do the HSC Chem course?

bangladesh

HSC
Lol, so for those unis I MUST do the HSC Chem course?
Yes. Otherwise QTAC automatically pulls you out of the pool of applicants eligible for an offer, unless some sort of arrangement is made with the medschool. (which rarely happens)

Samir97

HSC
Yes. Otherwise QTAC automatically pulls you out of the pool of applicants eligible for an offer, unless some sort of arrangement is made with the medschool. (which rarely happens)
Hmm ok thanks for your help then, and everyone else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)