Chem lab safety (computer exercise) (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
For CHEM1031 in the course manual it says that this exercise will be collected and marked by your demonstrator at your second practical session. Do I need to idependantly go to the Chem computer labs and complete this? or is it what I will be doing in the first laboratory i.e. week 2 lab.

G

Gavvvvvin

You have to do it by yourself before you show up to your lab.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you have chem safety exercises to be completed before every lab
its pretty straight forward anyways

Tim035

HSC
Yeah it looks preety basic, so I guess I'll go get it out of the way tommorow.
Thanks.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
If you have a pretty spaced out timetable, it's advisable to bring your whole Chemistry Lab book to the Computer Centre, and just copy down every single Safety (Pre-Exercise) for every lab.

For those who elected Advanced Chemistry (CHEM1031/CHEM1041) you'll also be doing some pre-lab calculations or exercises. Be sure to do all safety and pre-lab stuff BEFORE the lab, otherwise you will be forced by your demonstrator to do it during lab-time.

Tim035

HSC
Just another point I'd like to raise, how hard is higher chem compared to fundamental?
Before I'm finding whilst BABS1201 feels like just a stepping stone from HSC biology, Chemistry seems a hell of a lot harder. I've worked through the tutorial set 1 and every question I had to do 2-3 times before I got the same answer as the tiny font at the bottom of the page and about 3 I just couldn't do. Also the tutorial questions seem to have very little relevance to what the lecture has been talking about.

Rekkusu

HSC
I wouldn't say it's un-doable, nor can I say it's very easy.

With Fundamentals, you'll have 1 hour more of lectures, and 1 hour less of Practicals. With Advanced, its vice versa - 1 hour more in Practicals and 1 hour less in labs. Both have contact hours of 6 hours per week.

Yes you aren't the only one saying that, both me and many students before me have literally hated the style Chemistry is taught, even if you got Band 6 in HSC Chemistry, it's nothing compared to even just Fundamentals Chemistry - uni style.
I don't like how the Demonstrators & tutors give so little assistance to students...

The best thing you can do is to ask when unsure, and keep up to date with the material.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I found that the tutors and computer lab assistants gave an absolute tonne of assistance to the students. Anna Choy was generally the most helpful, so go up to her to ask for help. Our little chem lab group always used to go there on Fridays before a big chem assignment was due to get her to check everything, and she was very, very helpful. The labs were always easy as hell though anyway.

FeelBare

HSC
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got CHEM1011 lab on Monday! :eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: How long would this take? And is it possible to resume session if not completed?

Last edited:

Rekkusu

HSC
Labs if I remember correctly do not commence until week 2. So your lab should be on the next monday.

Anyways, it should be 2 hours for Fundmt's students, trust me, rush rush rush. You cannot continue the lab once it's finished.

FeelBare

HSC
Yeah I was aware that lab starts Week 2 =(... Looks like I'm going to have to skip BABS to have a 3 hour gap for the damn thing.

Last edited:

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
where do we get the chem lecture slides?

i cant find them on myunsw
Edit : i meant webct
do we buy them wit hte pack coz i never did that yet

ive also missed the last 2 lectures but i dont really care about that anyway (ill catch up- i wish they had audio like the bios do)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
err what happens if you have lab first up at 9am on monday and haven't done the computer/safety test? i only purchased the course pack late today because it wasn't on the shelves yet when i went to the bookshop earlier...

personally i find it hard to concentrate in chemistry lectures...esp in science theatre where its all dark... i've been on the verge of falling asleep during all three lectures this week! and its so annoying how we have to go the library and photocopy the lecture notes...

G

Gavvvvvin

You cant do the lab until you've filled out the safety thing.

Tim035

HSC
Yeah photo copying those lecture notes cost me $7 !! (including buying a copy and printing card).
I don't get bored or tired as such, and I actually understand what he is talking about (yey for doing forensic chemistry i.e. mass spectrometry) but just trying to do the tutorial sets and looking at the end of session exam is making my head spin. It all looks really hard and confusing, but hopefully it'll all make a bit more sense over the next couple of weeks once tutes and lab start. Because I don't think dropping to fundamental chemistry is really an option, I had a look at swapping to it on my UNSW and its not possible without completing changing all my other subjects to accomodate for it. From talking to some friends though they seem to be doing the same thing in fundamental chemistry, atomic structure, bonding etc etc.

Hey maybe BOS CHEM1031

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
They usually put lecture notes up as the semester progresses, so I don't know why you've photocopied the lot...unless 1031 does thing differently. Roger Bishop, organic chem doesn't even put them up but organic chemistry is simple as hell so there's no point in worrying. Ahem, anyway, science theatre = worst theatre on campus. True.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i saw one guy who was literally falling asleep and nodding off every few minutes. i had to stop myself from laughing cos he was trying to stay awake

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
yeah...hehe...what type of person has ever done that.

<_<
>_>
<_<

NOT ME!

...Seriously, I fell asleep a helluva lot during EdPsych2 lectures last year. Boring material and lecturer (exciting when she tried, which wasn't often) caused me to act just as the person you're describing did.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
sleeping during lectures is a more common thing than you expected
ie bios/babs 1101/math1041 lectures

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)