Chem qu (2 Viewers)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
xrtzx said:
yeah i guess so........
Yeah I suppose the question is somewhat badly phrased.

But with those multiple choice questions, you can't read too deeply into them. In this case, just pick the one that copper forms a precipitate with, because that's what they asked, and that's the most likely answer. If you think too much, you might end up confused and picking the wrong answer.

A couple of guys from my grade did that. They overanalysed the very first multiple choice question and thought it was a trick. It wasn't.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
the one ur doing rite now
umm how many q's are there
i was looking at the first multiple choice lol
its dead easy

richz

hmm... anything else be4 i go?? becuz my laptop is running low on batteries and i need to study for my chem, got the damn exam tomorrow and i dont even freaken understand industrial chem, its so stupid id prefer shipwrecks arghh... theres like 25 marks down the drain :(

richz

lol, its all abt regurgitating the freakn book argh.... anyway good luck to u too :)

ishq

brown?
HSC
We were taught:

The ester methy propanoate is prepared by refluxing a mixture of methanol and propanoic acid with conc sulfuric acid. After the reaction mixture has been cooled and poured into a large volume of water, the following procedure is used to purify the substance -

1. Stir the misture and separate into two layers. Discard the aqueous layer.
2. Add a small amount of sodium carbonate to the organic layer. Add water and shake the mixture. Allow the mixture to separate into two layers. Discard the aqueous layer.
3. Allow the organic layer to stand over a drying agent (anhydrous calcium chloride). Filter off the drying agent.
4. Distill the organic layer to obtain the PURE ester.

So, shouldnt it be Beaker 4?
Why does it say Beaker 2?

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
nit said:
No, bisulfate ion is a weak acid with pKa of 1.92 I think. Hence you can't assume it deprotonates fully, as it can't unless in the presence of base.
Hence the assumption.

I would hate a multiple choice q. without the assumption::

[H+] = 0.0005 + y
[HSO4-] = 0.0005 - y
[SO4 2-] = y

0.0005^2 - y^2 = y * 10^-1.99
0 = y^2 + y * 10^-1.99 - 0.00000025
2y = -10^-1.99 + &sqrt;(10^-3.98 + 0.000001)
y = 2.437 * 10 ^-5

[H+] = 0.00052437
pH = -log 0.00052437
= 3.280

Which makes the question kind of silly ... !

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
ishq said:
We were taught:

The ester methy propanoate is prepared by refluxing a mixture of methanol and propanoic acid with conc sulfuric acid. After the reaction mixture has been cooled and poured into a large volume of water, the following procedure is used to purify the substance -

1. Stir the misture and separate into two layers. Discard the aqueous layer.
2. Add a small amount of sodium carbonate to the organic layer. Add water and shake the mixture. Allow the mixture to separate into two layers. Discard the aqueous layer.
3. Allow the organic layer to stand over a drying agent (anhydrous calcium chloride). Filter off the drying agent.
4. Distill the organic layer to obtain the PURE ester.

So, shouldnt it be Beaker 4?
Why does it say Beaker 2?
It says the beakers are labelled in order of collection AND that pure substances were collected. Since Methyl Propanoate has the second lowest BP it would have been collected in beaker 2.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Jumbo Cactuar said:
It says the beakers are labelled in order of collection AND that pure substances were collected. Since Methyl Propanoate has the second lowest BP it would have been collected in beaker 2.
Ohh!!!!!

You mean like Fractional Distillation?
I get it...
So the four substances are the the reactants, ester and water...

Understood...:D

Pace_T

HSC
so beaker four would be propanoic acid right?

richz

huh.......... u know which one is the most reactive. zn is the most reactive so oxidation happens there therefore that is the anode therefore cathode is cu so answer is
D

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)