Chemistry help ! (1 Viewer)

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
Well i have my half yearlies on tuesday , and i came across this Question that was in my topic test and i need help :)

Q. Compounds with formula HCl (g) and HCl (l) are covalent molecular , whereas the compound with the formula HCl (aq) is ionic . Explain.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
When dissolved, ionic compounds undergo Dissociation while covalent compounds undergo Ionization.

Last edited:

blackratpoo

HSC
I would firstly define an ionic substance then relate it to HCl (aq).
E.g. Ionic substances are characterized by a three-dimensional arrangement of catioins and anions. HCl (aq) dissociates into H+ (cation) and Cl- (anion) and hence ionises.

Then define covalent substances and relate it to HCl (s) and HCl (l).
E.g. Covalent molecular lattices contain discrete molecules arranged in various geometric patterns. HCl (s) and HCl (l) are complete molecules that do not dissociate, rather they are held in place within the lattice by intermolecular forces which are not as strong as ionic chemical forces.

As long as you are concise in Yr 11, you'll get the marks.

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
I would firstly define an ionic substance then relate it to HCl (aq).
E.g. Ionic substances are characterized by a three-dimensional arrangement of catioins and anions. HCl (aq) dissociates into H+ (cation) and Cl- (anion) and hence ionises.

Then define covalent substances and relate it to HCl (s) and HCl (l).
E.g. Covalent molecular lattices contain discrete molecules arranged in various geometric patterns. HCl (s) and HCl (l) are complete molecules that do not dissociate, rather they are held in place within the lattice by intermolecular forces which are not as strong as ionic chemical forces.

As long as you are concise in Yr 11, you'll get the marks.
Awesome thank you . I get what you said :D
Unlike my chem teacher :mad:

+ infinity

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Lol sorry about teh jackass answer btw
i was really tired that day :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)