Chemistry or Senior Science? (1 Viewer)

shellzed

HSC
Hey guys..

Should I change from Chemistry to Senior Science for yr 12?
I'm ranked 6/8 for chemistry lol and literally pass by one mark or a few for my exams. I heard senior science is heaps easy.

Would it be better to just pass in chemistry or get 70+ in senior science? I'm just worried about the scaling of senior sci compared to chemistry, but i'm doing really bad in chemistry anyway so i don't really see a difference.

selablad

HSC
If you're only going to get 70+ in Senior science, why do you want to change? Most people only drop to a "lower" subject if they are confident that they can get nearly full marks...

Although I would consider the effort you're putting in. If you think you can do better, keep Chemistry, but if you're slaving away and not getting results, go to SS. Have fun either way :D

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I'd reccomend dropping both altogether. I mean if you're going to get 70ish in Senior Science, it won't work for you. Maybe you should drop science altogether and focus on your other subjects. That could be more beneficial.

shellzed

HSC
I'm not sure if I'm going to get 70ish or 80ish or 90ish, I'm not really sure about the topic. I'm just hearing ppl say it's easy, and by ppl i mean "bludgers" or "doing-the-subject-cause-its-easy" ppl and apparently everyone can get band 6.
I study hardcore for chem and still get shitty marks. and I only hate chem cause I'm crap at it. lol. I thought chem would be fun but it's a total shithole.

I just want good marks for my friggin UAI. I'm not sure if i'm going to do well in SS. But i'm dam well sure i'm not doing well in chem.

I can't drop both cause then I will have less than 10 units. I'm doing Community and family studies (gay and total waste of time), ADV eng, ext eng 1, maths, chem, bus studies, photography (only a yr 11 sub).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
shellzed said:
I'm not sure if I'm going to get 70ish or 80ish or 90ish, I'm not really sure about the topic. I'm just hearing ppl say it's easy, and by ppl i mean "bludgers" or "doing-the-subject-cause-its-easy" ppl and apparently everyone can get band 6.
I study hardcore for chem and still get shitty marks. and I only hate chem cause I'm crap at it. lol. I thought chem would be fun but it's a total shithole.

I just want good marks for my friggin UAI. I'm not sure if i'm going to do well in SS. But i'm dam well sure i'm not doing well in chem.

I can't drop both cause then I will have less than 10 units. I'm doing Community and family studies (gay and total waste of time), ADV eng, ext eng 1, maths, chem, bus studies, photography (only a yr 11 sub).
Hmm well if you're struggling in chem, I think you should drop to senior science. I think if you study hard enought, you should be abke to get over 90 in senior science.

jaychouf4n

HSC
OK

chemistry is basically a memorise to win subject. You don't need to be good at chemistry in general, you just have to be able to remember jargon and explanations and spurt them out in an exam. So anyone really can do well in an chemistry exam, you just need good notes and have a good memory.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
the-derivative said:
I'd reccomend dropping both altogether. I mean if you're going to get 70ish in Senior Science, it won't work for you. Maybe you should drop science altogether and focus on your other subjects. That could be more beneficial.
I agree, Senior Science is pointless even if it is "easy" there is no point doing it if you wish to achieve a decent UAI. Focus on your other subjects, who knows an extra 30 minutes on another subject each night could make the world of difference.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
6/8 for Chem... Small school.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Could you choose to pick up Senior Science and keep chem?

I picked up s/s whilst doing physics and bio.

Later I dropped physics and kept bio and s/s.

I've found that bio helps my Senior Science (though, not vice versa)..

You should consider doing that, unless of course the subjects clash.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Sarah182 said:
I agree, Senior Science is pointless even if it is "easy" there is no point doing it if you wish to achieve a decent UAI. Focus on your other subjects, who knows an extra 30 minutes on another subject each night could make the world of difference.
Exactly, but she said he couldn't drop because she didn't have enough units. But if you are good at English (I'm assuming you are because you are doing extension - maybe pick up Ext 2 English - then you would have enough units)

Last edited:

shellzed

HSC
I'm a she. lol

I could change my community and family studies with SS.

Which scaling is lower? Their both the low-scaling subs. I don't really care about CAFS though, cause it's basically common sense. But it's a writing subject and I'm better at 'writing' subs rather than 'maths' subs.

Thanks guys for replying! :D

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
shellzed said:
I'm a she. lol

Which scaling is lower? Their both the low-scaling subs. I don't really care about CAFS though, cause it's basically common sense. But it's a writing subject and I'm better at 'writing' subs rather than 'maths' subs.

mmm...it's been said a million times over, but you should try and pick the subject that you think you will do better in because regardless of the scaling, you can expect to do better in a subject you enjoy and are motivated to do, rather than a subject that scales well..

Oh btw, there's a link somewhere to a list of subjects and how they scale..

somewhere.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
shellzed said:
I'm a she. lol

Woops sorry, I'll change it now. I'm not good with noticing things, and I usually just say he.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I really would not recommend doing SS.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Getting a shit mark in Chemistry. > Getting a shit mark in Senior Science.

SimonLee13

HSC
jaychouf4n said:
OK

chemistry is basically a memorise to win subject. You don't need to be good at chemistry in general, you just have to be able to remember jargon and explanations and spurt them out in an exam. So anyone really can do well in an chemistry exam, you just need good notes and have a good memory.
That applies to every subject except maths and English.

shellzed

HSC
the-derivative said:
I can't see how you would get a shit mark in SS though.
I mean I've read a bit of the SS stuff and it's basically like Year 10 Science.
exactly. so is it:

shit mark in chem > good mark in ss
OR
shit mark in chem < good mark in ss

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
This might give you an idea of what to do:
Senior Science Scaling- 20.1/50
Chemistry Scaling- 31.3/50

shaon0

HSC
wow...Senior Science does really scale shit.
what does that score mean? is it an average raw mark in the test is equal to that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)