chemistry/physics people (1 Viewer)

gerardk

Since the chemistry exam was fairly english based etc etc, do you think the physics exam could be of a similar nature? Or do two different people make up each exam??

sub

my guess....different ppl...it better be different. i HATED chem test :vcross:

gabn

HSC
no i would say that phyics will be similar they are takeing all the good maths and stuff out of the course... so gald i droped it in year 11

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
Why would they be the same? Different people make the tests....

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
itll be similar format/structure as chemistry was... altho the writers are different they are both under the influence of the same head of examiners people.. and if u look thru the last 10 years papers u see that its definitely become more like english.. u use about 2 of the formulas from the formula sheet which has 150 formulas... bit stupid really

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
yeah, bring the maths back into physics. less explaining, and phylosophy, and more definiative answers!!!!

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
gabn said:
good maths

Hahaha, now that's an oxymoron. Personally, I like the new style of papers. Then again, I suck at maths.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I hope the phys is easy, I need to make up for my chem :)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
maths still has many q's from left field that need thinking though.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
do u think...
i reckon they'll keep coming up with more absract q's, they have a rep to keep up in 4u!
and on rep, if u want to think more... c that religious thread... i don't think there's a post under 3 lines, and no spam, not much anyway, and even vanbasten's posts are over 3 lines!!!

lucyinthehole

what are you talking about? the maths papers are definately getting harder and more random. i did the last 10 years past papers, and you can literally tell how they gradually get worse

DavidB

My principle was telling us that the board has begun to put an emphasis on expression, and ones ability to logically synthesise and structure their responses.
Basically the bastards are trying to get the girls to do alot beta, then the boyz...

UR A BUNCH OF SOFT COCKS....THE LOT OF YAH!

n thats ma 5 centz.

~~Jess~~

HSC
theres heaps more maths in physics that in chem, especially the multi-choice. but i hate the maths in physics so i notice it more, i'd rather rote learn, memmorise it all then spit it back out, unfortunately doesnt always work that way

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i can understand that Physics needs to also have englishy stuff in it, but i really think the board has gone a bit far. i suppose they use the argument that some people might not be good at maths, true, but there are a lot of people who arent good at english either, who can understand the concepts, but maybe not explain them well. i think they should have 2 parts in the physics test, a maths based part and an english based part.

tempco

HSC
did Bio last year, and it was basically an English paper... trend is continuing, so I'm guessing the Physics paper should be fairly englishy...

cephren

...I was told that previously Physics contained AT LEAST 60% Calculations ie Pure Math and up to 80%...

...nowadayz as you say - the English has come into it and we are getting NO MORE THAN 40% Calc's... its not fair on the math inclined... but u gotta live with it dont ya?... For the chem/physics comparison there is no way you can make any kind of prediction from that - only the trends of the board for each individual subject...

...more to the point on ACTUAL questions - a lot still require calc's BUT they word it in such a F***ed up way that even though we know the math - we dont know what they are asking - thats my only complaint... OH! and the fact that they can ask you an 8 Mark question on ANY of the PHYSICS FACTS (basically)... how rude!...

...BTW - the person who said GOOD MATH was an oxymoron - I can see where ur coming from but the No.1 Oxymoron is MICROSOFT WORKS...

Seed_Strife

HSC
I agree with u guys

I Agree, I chose physics not just for the formulas but also for the theory and the problem with todays tests are taht they are 8 marks for a 1 page answer wait not even an answer its a "ResPONse", I understand many of the theories but their damn questions are often very open ended.
Like "Describe Einstein's Contributions", Oh k yeah i can handle that
fill a page. then i only got 3 marks for it because of the DAMN CRITERIA, we dont see the criteria and so what do we say. I lost marks for like "not arguing why his contributions were importannt", "not describing what sorta implications they had"...

I wont whine abt it but clearly it disadvantages those who arent good at english and every one else coz we dont know their criteria.

After Losing his wealth, Family, Cars, Houses & his clothes A man has only 1 asset His Hair--(Ravi Busi)

:)

~~Jess~~

HSC
i gotta say i agree with the issue of the wording of the q thats where i fall down too. well actually most prob cos i havent studied enough but still i know where ur coming from

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)