Chemistry Textbook Recommendations (1 Viewer)

JoannaS2

HSC
Hey guys,

Hope the HSC exam went fantastic!! :)

I'm doing chem for yr11 next year and i'm not sure which textbooks to buy. I was hoping you guys could recommend some. I want one which goes along with the syllabus, has good layout and provision of information and one that is not too overly detailed, enough detail to do well but not too much.

I've heard that Jacaranda is great, but havent really seen what it's like.

So please post up any recommendations and reasons for why i should buy the recommended textbook. Any contribution will be great!! :)

Thank you so much in advance!! xD

h3ll h0und

HSC
conquering chem =D i used it for prelim and using it for hsc as well.

vpa2891

HSC
CONQUERING CHEMISTRY textbook is pretty good :)
It goes along wit the syllabus, very detail...but the information can be overload :(
However, i personally think its good

h3ll h0und

HSC
i reckon ud be fine by just dling some of the notes from the resources section on this site. e.g ahmad shah's notes are awesome =) save ur money for hsc, dont waste in yr 11.

Allisonius

HSC
If you d go with Conquering Chemistry you must be careful when reffering to the answers for the excercises in the back of the book. Many of these solutions are wrong as we discovered over our 2 years in chemistry.
Aside from that, it is a very good text book.

kanux

HSC
i hardly used my chem text book throughout the year D:
but i got conquering chem 4th edition from school and a Jacaranda Textbook on CD, which I got from my tutor.

I found that the info for dry cell and button cell to be much better in Jacaranda.

RandalThor

HSC
Each book has its highlights and downfalls.

We used Chemistry Contexts 2 and Conquering Chemistry. Out of the two I would recommend Conquering Chemistry as it is more in depth and has better information.

For a study guide I would definitely recommend the 2009 Excel HSC Chemistry book, which is like a text book except that it has practice HSC papers, tonnes of questions for each topic, covers each dot point in detail and covers most of the options. It also gives links to sites and a glossary at the end of each chapter to make sure you cover the important terms.

You may also want to consider getting the Success One HSC book (latest edition is best) as this covers every HSC paper from 2001-2009 with detailed solutions.

Hope this helps.:)

martinc

HSC
combo of conquering and jacranda. chemistry contexts is also good if you want it.

TechnIx

HSC
N/A
HSC Excel Chemistry (latest edition). Absolutely fantastic and concise, exactly how I like my information.

For when I didn't understand something, I referred to my Conquering Chemistry book for the detail.

I strongly recommend Excel books though, if it weren't for them I'd have failed my HSC lol!

mitchwong650

HSC
HSC Excel Chemistry (latest edition). Absolutely fantastic and concise, exactly how I like my information.

For when I didn't understand something, I referred to my Conquering Chemistry book for the detail.

I strongly recommend Excel books though, if it weren't for them I'd have failed my HSC lol!

I definitely agree with this guy and all the people before,

Excel books are amazing. saved me in physics chemistry and ext math.

Conquering Chemistry is a great book too, and it teaches the course in the correct order too...

buy Excel and CC , without at doubt :party:

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
+1 ^

CC is the chem bible =)
excel is alright, its better for just theory though. CC has better questions in terms of calculations
id advise you get the latest success one book aswell (when you start your HSC), even though its not a text book its a great way to revise instead of just reading over notes

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
hey, where can you find ahmad shah's notes for preliminary chemistry?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)