Child Support: Should it exist? (1 Viewer)

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think maybe that unless there are extenuating circumstances, if one parent fights to have sole or majority custody, they should be willing or able to foot most of the bill. They should not fight to have sole control of a child, but then expect the other person to have minimal contact/say, but pay for the upkeep of the child.

Split the shit 50/50 and nobody pay support, agree to split big bills like medical and school down the middle.

As I said, extenuating circumstances.

philphie

Banned
HSC
my dad pretty much gave me to my mum. he didn't pay child support which neither my mother and i want anyway. money not wasted on me is wasted at the brothel, and we want daddy to be happy

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
I think maybe that unless there are extenuating circumstances, if one parent fights to have sole or majority custody, they should be willing or able to foot most of the bill. They should not fight to have sole control of a child, but then expect the other person to have minimal contact/say, but pay for the upkeep of the child.

Split the shit 50/50 and nobody pay support, agree to split big bills like medical and school down the middle.

As I said, extenuating circumstances.
Makes sense. My full on libertarian vision will never be popular, but there is a lot of room for improvement in the current system.

Also, I think child support should be limited to necessities. There is no reason why a wealthy parent should be forced to pay far more than any child actually needs to have a decent standard of living just because they can.

philphie

Banned
HSC
really if you want to make the situation fair, whatever the mother wants to do fro the child she should pay, whatever the dad wants for the child they should pay, if they want the same thing, both pay for it, that is to assume your parents still care what their child needs rather than whatever petty shit they have leftover

edit: plus if one parent is making more than the other then i expect that parent to make the major contribution, not giving more money, but just more than the other parent.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
If a woman gets pregnant, and the father wants to keep it but she doesn't, then bad luck because the woman can get an abortion regardless of his wishes.

If a woman gets pregnant and the father doesn't want to keep it/be involved, then bad luck, the woman gets to keep it PLUS the man will be forced to support this child for eighteen years.

So yeah obviously child support shouldn't exist.

and if we are going to have it, have some sort of income threshold at the very least.

And because at this level the mother will NEED the money, then give her food stamps or something

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
So yeah obviously child support shouldn't exist.
It's unfair, but just see it as a tax we pay to be able to piss standing and not get periods.

I love both my parents, but I'm able to see that my mom would have been really fucked if she wasn't supported by payments from my dad (payments he would not have sent otherwise). As my mom had more custody then he did (it was split about 60:40) I was in turn reliant on these child support payments.

Would have been a bitter pill to swallow if my dad had just stopped and said "sorry mate, I made a mistake, you deal with it." Luckily my dad and most other men can see this and just knuckle down and get on with life.

Wingstroke

Banned
HSC
My full on libertarian vision will never be popular
i.e when the child is born, it is brought to the elders, who inspect the infant. If they find that the child is deformed or weakly, they throw it into Kaiada, the great chasm.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Child support is worked out on a case-by-case basis, and I am sure the courts take into account things like (if there was a divorce settlement) how the assets were split, how the custody is split, basic living costs VS luxuries, etc etc.

A few examples of people getting away with not paying/getting paid too much does not mean it is an invalid system.

madsam

God among men
HSC
Suicide victim 'hounded' over child support

Regardless, if the system at the moment is causing men (earning in excess of 100k) to be forced to live off 500 a week (Or 25k a year) due to child support + maintenance costs, leading yet more to commit suicide on almost a daily basis, something is very flawed...

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Suicide victim 'hounded' over child support

Regardless, if the system at the moment is causing men (earning in excess of 100k) to be forced to live off 500 a week (Or 25k a year) due to child support + maintenance costs, leading yet more to commit suicide on almost a daily basis, something is very flawed...
The system clearly doesn't care about mens' rights.

What we (blokes) need is a man who can stand up to the establishment, and campaign for the betterment (?) of all male-kind. A man with guile, political savvy, and a mastery of bonsai.

If only such a man existed :(

banco55

HSC
The child support system is one of the reasons there are so many single parents. Having a generation of kids raised by single parents is very bad news.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
What if the father gives the implication he is going to provide support for the child, the mother bases her decision to keep the child on this, and then he later withdraws support?

Is this agreement to provide for any consequences and be held accountable for risk already implied when the man first consents to sex?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
What if the father gives the implication he is going to provide support for the child, the mother bases her decision to keep the child on this, and then he later withdraws support?

Is this agreement to provide for any consequences and be held accountable for risk already implied when the man first consents to sex?
Contract law. Easily dealt with. Yes, it would require a cultural change where people sign to contracts with partners and family members. Better than having the courts and the government making decision for people.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It's not a catch 22. It's just a regular difficult decision. The kind that happens all the time in real life.

Unlike you, I don't think forcing people at gun point to do what you consider the "right thing" is an acceptable solution.
But if welfare is the primary alternative at present, and if welfare depends on taxes which are enforced through similar coercion, then mightn't child support still present as a reasonable policy? In other words, what leads you to preference welfare over child support given that both involve the use of coercion by the government? (This is also on the assumption that child support through private charity is thoroughly unlikely in the short term future).

Makes sense. My full on libertarian vision will never be popular, but there is a lot of room for improvement in the current system.
Practical question - then what becomes of your peaceful AC alternative is you run with the implication on non-popularity? If it is unatainable isn't that a call for a modified political philosophy?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
But if welfare is the primary alternative at present, and if welfare depends on taxes which are enforced through similar coercion, then mightn't child support still present as a reasonable policy? In other words, what leads you to preference welfare over child support given that both involve the use of coercion by the government? (This is also on the assumption that child support through private charity is thoroughly unlikely in the short term future).
Good question. Welfare is preferable because it distributes the burden equally (I know, not something I would usually say).

I don't agree with singling out the biological parent to pay, because I believe their responsibility for the child is an arbitrary construct based on antiquated cultural and religious expectations. I see nothing wrong with abortion, and given that, I believe having a child is 100% a lifestyle choice. If one parent wants to have a child and the other doesn't, the parent that wants the child should have absolutely no right to make the other parent pay for it.

Practical question - then what becomes of your peaceful AC alternative is you run with the implication on non-popularity? If it is unatainable isn't that a call for a modified political philosophy?
Not really. World peace, or an end to hunger may be unattainable, but we don't stop striving for it.

In the meantime it is important to set realistic goals like cutting taxes and legalizing marijuana, but ultimately I'm not going to change my view of what is right just because others don't agree.

I also think the watered down version of libertarianism is less convincing to people anyway. It's more powerful to just come right out and say that you want to get rid of the whole damned government. In fact, the reason I became AC was because I was initially shocked and disgusted by the idea, which provoked me to research it further.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)