Child Support: Should it exist? (1 Viewer)

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Why should parents be forced to make mandatory, arbitrary payments to children that in many cases they are not even allowed to see?

If a woman decides to have a child, that is her choice. She should decide that she is financially competent to take care of that child before she goes through with it. She has no right to force someone to pay for that child who may not have wanted to ever have the child in the first place.

Some of the recent cases like the 30 year old in Italy who was awarded continued support from her parents highlight how absurd the whole thing has gotten. It makes no sense whatsoever that you have to pay to support someone for 20 years because you share the same DNA as them.

klaris

HSC
A married couple, decide to have a baby. Ideally, they would see him/her grow up, give their child good values, spoil their child, etc etc.

But when the child is 2 the parents divorce. Now, the mother wouldn't be able to afford to work, being a single mother with a toddler to look after. However with child support, she wouldn't have to struggle etc etc

My argument is pretty shitty because I don't have the energy to go through it thoroughly.

That said, cases are getting out of hand these days, with the wife/mother wanting EVERYTHING and leaving the father/hubby broke and only seeing his kid on weekends.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Of course it should exist. Two people make a baby, it is the responsibility of those two people to ensure that child is adequately cared for. Even if they hate each other. Even if the woman is a greedy bitch. Even if the man is a selfish asshole.

Why should a child have to suffer because their parents hate each other/made stupid mistakes?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Of course it shouldn't exist. It's like taxes. Money stolen to fund an addict's compulsion.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Of course it should exist. Two people make a baby, it is the responsibility of those two people to ensure that child is adequately cared for.
Why? It's just an appeal to tradition.

Would you agree that parents can relinquish that responsibility by putting their child up for adoption, or should teenage mothers who give up their child also be forced to pay money to the foster parents?

Why should a child have to suffer because their parents hate each other/made stupid mistakes?
The child doesn't have to suffer. Often the parent its living with can afford to take care of it anyway. If not there is the welfare system, or as I would prefer, private charity. As usual, forcing people to do the right thing at gun point is not the solution.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
I was just about to do one of these libertarian hypothetical threads on Paid Maternity Leave :(

umm... yeah I guess it should, lol

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Why? It's just an appeal to tradition.

Would you agree that parents can relinquish that responsibility by putting their child up for adoption, or should teenage mothers who give up their child also be forced to pay money to the foster parents?

The child doesn't have to suffer. Often the parent its living with can afford to take care of it anyway. If not there is the welfare system, or as I would prefer, private charity. As usual, forcing people to do the right thing at gun point is not the solution.
"Often the parent its living with can afford to take care of it anyway?" Can you please show me a source to support this.

There are enough contraceptive options out there these days that if you are really certain you never want to have kids because you have no desire to support them, you can almost entirely avoid it.

There are more people waiting for children to adopt than there are children up for adoption (as far as I know), so that argument isn't really relevant as it's basically a supply and demand thing in that people WANT to take in children for whatever reason (can't have their own, moral reasons, etc)

sydchick

HSC
N/A
I am far too invested in this topic to go further than this post.

But, in a word: yes.

I could go into the if and buts and whys but that would lead to a crazy, emotional ramble.

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
I don't have a great problem with it, although cases like this make me grrr.

Some doctor guy was married and making 6 figures or something. They got divorced, he decided his job was too stressful and took a lower paying job of about $40,000 with some charity organisation.

She is still legally entitled to get the same amount of child support from him, despite his diminished earnings based on the fact that he has the "capacity" to earn more.

It's a crock of shit, fuck off.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
I don't have a great problem with it, although cases like this make me grrr.

Some doctor guy was married and making 6 figures or something. They got divorced, he decided his job was too stressful and took a lower paying job of about $40,000 with some charity organisation.

She is still legally entitled to get the same amount of child support from him, despite his diminished earnings based on the fact that he has the "capacity" to earn more.

It's a crock of shit, fuck off.

That is stupid. I think there are massive flaws in the way the amount of child support is calculates (I know my father got away with paying a hell of a lot less than he should've been), but like everything else that has flaws it doesn't mean it needs to be abolished altogether.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
There are more people waiting for children to adopt than there are children up for adoption (as far as I know), so that argument isn't really relevant as it's basically a supply and demand thing in that people WANT to take in children for whatever reason (can't have their own, moral reasons, etc)
Right so there are plenty of foster parents willing to take care of children.

So if a single parent can't support the child without forcing the other parent to pay child support, the child can still be cared for by foster parents, no?

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think the reason people get so offended by the idea of culling child support, is because they think custody is always awarded to the mother and dead beat dads don't contribute.

For some reason if you reverse the situation and it's a woman who isn't paying, people seem to be a little less offended by that.

WAI?

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Right so there are plenty of foster parents willing to take care of children.

So if a single parent can't support the child without forcing the other parent to pay child support, the child can still be cared for by foster parents, no?

So if one parent won't help support the child they should just give it away, even if the other parent wants to keep it?

Yeah, awesome solution.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
I was just about to do one of these libertarian hypothetical threads on Paid Maternity Leave :(

umm... yeah I guess it should, lol
don't u have anything better to do than to question every aspect of our existence even tho we have far more freedoms than every society that has gone past.. ?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
So if one parent won't help support the child they should just give it away, even if the other parent wants to keep it?

Yeah, awesome solution.
Wrong. The other parent that wants to keep the child has every right to keep the child if they can afford to support it.

If not, they should give it to someone who can.

What they don't have a right to do is force someone else to support their decision.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
I think the reason people get so offended by the idea of culling child support, is because they think custody is always awarded to the mother and dead beat dads don't contribute.

For some reason if you reverse the situation and it's a woman who isn't paying, people seem to be a little less offended by that.

WAI?

That's not at all what I think. Just as I think their should be equal paid parental leave for mothers and fathers (whichever one decides to take time off to care for their newborn), child support should be equally considered whether the mother or father has been awarded custody.

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
That's not at all what I think. Just as I think their should be equal paid parental leave for mothers and fathers (whichever one decides to take time off to care for their newborn), child support should be equally considered whether the mother or father has been awarded custody.
I didn't say it's what you think.

I'm taking an unfounded guess that it's what a lot of people think though.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Wrong. The other parent that wants to keep the child has every right to keep the child if they can afford to support it.

If not, they should give it to someone who can.

What they don't have a right to do is force someone else to support their decision.

You know perfectly well that that is a total catch-22.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)