• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

China banned Ugly girl and forced cute girl to Lip Synch (1 Viewer)

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Like a customer cares that the ATM is using Windows XP.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Snaykew said:
Like a customer cares that the ATM is using Windows XP.
They should.

It's not about what OS they're using, it's about the level of security they can expect.

I certainly expect my bank to enact all reasonable security measures to protect their data (and mine by extension). The fact that they don't do this for 'ease of use' is very disturbing (which I suspect is their ease of use due to being too incompetent to use Linux, or too lazy to port their code over to it - the end user interface is custom made so the "brand recognition" claim is bollocks).

NTB's link is actually pretty insightful. Why not visit it:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/secur...-on-ATMs-stupid-/0,139033343,339288423,00.htm

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
What was wrong with the Commonwealth Bank's existing ATM OS. :/

Donski

HSC
N/A
Applikation said:
Sounds like those Chinese officials were the only ones with enough balls to stand up to that crooked teeth slut.
i know right! lil puta

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Snaykew said:
What was wrong with the Commonwealth Bank's existing ATM OS. :/
It wasn't pretty enough.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
And what I meant by "Like a customer cares that the ATM is using Windows XP." was that as if customers would think of the Commonwealth Bank more due to them using Windows XP. It's not like it will make them cooler.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I don't even get why they'd use that defence 'cause like I said, it's a custom interface independent of OS.

Sounds more like they had no real case for using XP and were just trying to brush over blazing incompetence.

Evilo

HSC
""Like a customer cares that the ATM is using Windows XP.""

I reckon if you were doing market research, and you asked 'what OS would you want your atm to be?" everyone would have said XP. General public is scared of linux, and vista has recieved so much bad press. Most people don't even know what linux is, or what DOS is.

tau281290

HSC
Omg, its just a trivial issue, and the media made such a hype out of it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
tau281290 said:
Omg, its just a trivial issue, and the media made such a hype out of it.
Yeah on a "Bad Shit China Has Done" scale of 1 - 10 it rates about a 0.5 but think about that kid's feelings man, she didn't get to sing at the Olympics, which is probably the single biggest performance she'd ever have gotten to do (well who knows, but still...) because she wasn't pretty enough. It's just unfair.

tau281290

HSC
Well, i guess we will have to wait for the closing ceremony for her to sing again. We will see what will happen. Until then, stop discussing such a trivial issue and trying to find faults to deface a country.

THe media is full of lies, haven't you guys done the module "Telling the Truth" in English?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Evilo said:
""Like a customer cares that the ATM is using Windows XP.""

I reckon if you were doing market research, and you asked 'what OS would you want your atm to be?" everyone would have said XP.
But they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a UNIX and a Windows ATM, either. Sure, if you ask them for their computer illiterate opinion, they'll give you their uninorfmed opinion.

Brand name is trivial here because the customer has no knowledge of it 99% of the time, and moreover isn't going to not use the ATM because it's not Windows even if they did know the OS. So as a bank, which would you choose to focus on, security or brand name?

It's pretty clear that the brand name excuse is exactly that: an excuse for poor security.

General public is scared of linux
Quite the opposite. Many seem quite willing to try it but don't know how to. Even more just have never heard of it.

and vista has recieved so much bad press.
For many good reasons. The best three are: it's slower and more bloated than XP, it does nothing better than XP (not even gaming), and actually costs you money to upgrade!

Penetration rate has stalled at 15 to 18% among both normal users and gamers alike. DX10 is a write-off because of this (I bet nVidea and ATI are pissed). Recent research indicates at least 35% of people who buy Vista downgrade to XP.

tau281290 said:
Well, i guess we will have to wait for the closing ceremony for her to sing again. We will see what will happen. Until then, stop discussing such a trivial issue and trying to find faults to deface a country.

THe media is full of lies, haven't you guys done the module "Telling the Truth" in English?
Haven't you done the module "Stop being a blind Chinese Nationalist" in life?

China's record of propaganda, disinformation and effectively brainwashing is fairly well-known even once you strip away any "media bias".

poWerdrY

HSC
in a related event, i just saw on the news about how one of the favourites for gold in some gymnastic event (a girl) almost didn't make it to the olympic team, not for her lack of skill, but for her crooked teeth. it was not until someone paid for her teeth to get fixed before she was allowed in. quite ridiculous IMO

Evilo

HSC
Slidey said:
But they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a UNIX and a Windows ATM, either. Sure, if you ask them for their computer illiterate opinion, they'll give you their uninorfmed opinion.
Oh i'm not doubting that they probably couldn't tell. but i'm just saying there might be more to the stat than people just 'prefer' xp.

Slidey said:
Quite the opposite. Many seem quite willing to try it but don't know how to. Even more just have never heard of it.
I dunno man, from what i've seen people are scared of change - i just got back from a job where i spent 15minutes convincing them to use firefox over mozilla.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
The biggest lie in this decade has got to be Weapons of Mass Destruction. Does media freedom during Olympics really concern some of you that much? I just hope USA doesn't invade Australia because of its uranium.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
imagine the same thing was with nikki webster
she replaced some chick and she was lip synching.

i've been missing your strawberry kisses!
there's nothing that sweet; the taste just drives me cray-zay!

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually kid, I'm just in London on a business trip at the moment - hence all the free time.
Glad to see you're still at school. Good luck finding a job in the real world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)