China People! (1 Viewer)

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
No probs. What sources are you all using? We've got Buggy as well as a few photocopied extracts from Sheridan. Plus I've collected a couple of quotes from Meisner and Hsu, but mostly just Buggy stuff. Plus the Bergere stuff for Sun Yixian.

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
well..ehh...I lost my Buggy before the trials..*blush* hahah. ah well. i don't really like him.... :p poor buggy.
used Hsu, Sheriden, Selden (for Yenan), Lynch, Spence and a few bits from other random places. For Zhe De we've just read articles by Shum Kui-Kwong (and other dudes I dont remember), grabbed some extracts from the above texts, and Short, also Edgar Snow and Smedley's biography of Zhu De (which is insightful, but not all that useful...the woman appears to be completely infatuated with Zhu, which makes reading this really quite funny...)

EliseM

noel_gallagher said:
What were all your teachers reasons for teaching China? Over, say, Germany or USA?.
yeah same for us, they sed that it would make us stand out cos hardly anyone does china, or zhude...only we dont have much info on them haha. we only have one thing on zhu de, i think its by shum kwi kwong (i forget how to spell the name) and we only have the text by Terry Buggy on china.
Haha, my friend and i basically had to relearn the whole china bit pre trials cos we hadnt listened to a word that had been sed...china bored us out of our brains! this course is so huge, im gunna be glad when the exam is over tomorow
i wouldnt mind a question on the civil war...however, id say i have a fairly equal chance with all the q's they could throw at me...squat...haha oh dear
oh well, free tommorow of modern history woohoo!

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
Heyyyyy bri
I'm planning to learn quotes from Hsu and Sheriden for the Nationalist defeat and the Nanjing Decade, and I've got one for Sun's three people's principles. In terms of actual historical debate, I've only got the one between Hsu and Sheriden for Yuan (oh he made a travesty of the republic! his mockery of the constitution! overtaken by megalomania! hehe. i love Hsu's melodrama). I haven't got any for Chiang Kai-shek, apart from the basic he really sucked argument, and didn't engage the beloved peasantry (as in every essay i do on china, i glorify the CCP to the max :p)

For Zhu I've got debate for the Long march and the differing opinions between Tang Hai and Shum Kui-Kwong about the blasted Zhang incident. and i chuck in some glowing reports from dear Smedley, and a few from Edgar Snow.

the only reason I know these historians is because all my notes have been derived from them..i don't have the luxury of a Buggy summary. I've wasted so much time...i'm so silly...i spent all weekend reading Sheriden...it was quite thrilling...oh man...i've been sucked into the China vortex, unable to escape the clutches of Maoist rhetoric...:D

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Yeah, I love the way when Chinese political writing is translated into English it sounds so funny....the metaphors are just constant and so dramatic. And the grammar structure never quite translates well. "Never sign the treaty! Better to have forced occupation than voluntary submission. Otherwise sole responsbility rests on you"

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
ptitsa said:
this dot point: the importance of foreign support for the GMD and the CCP

is that just the influence of Borodin and the Cominterm on the GMD and the CCP, the First United Front, and the re-organisation of the GMD?
the influence of the 28 Bolsheviks, and the orthodox line coming out of the USSR?
American support for the GMD, during the Sino-Japanese war, and Marshall's attempts at negotiation between the CCP and the GMD? Later then in the Civil War, USSR support for the CCP?

anything else?

i guess, although it doesnt really link to foreign support...foreign imperialism was integral to building nationalism...

OMG I can't believe out of all the questions you could have posted....you did the one that was in the exam! Good work, thanks to you I did that q and remembered the main points....I owe you!

HSC
elibo said:
Haha, my friend and i basically had to relearn the whole china bit pre trials cos we hadnt listened to a word that had been sed...china bored us out of our brains!
OMG that is exactly the same as me and my friends! Except we learnt all of China like, 2 weeks ago, over the phone haha.

We hated it too, it was so boring, the only fun part was making fun of everyone cos no one could pronounce the names of the leaders...

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
gemita said:
OMG I can't believe out of all the questions you could have posted....you did the one that was in the exam! Good work, thanks to you I did that q and remembered the main points....I owe you!

hahaha yeah i had a good laugh in there about it :D it was quite freaky

i did the may fourth question instead, but now i'm not too sure whether I made the right choice. i wish i did that foreign question now...arghhhh... china is normally my best option, but it certainly wasn't in that exam (why couldnt they ask about the late stuff!)

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
rhapsody_bri said:
i also was laughing. everyone predicted correctly!
wwi- zoe wanted the 'big 3'
indochina- zoe also wanted the 'before the war' stuff...
china- this foreign support stuff, i would have been stuffed if i hadnt come on here yesterday (i did the foreign one!) ,. and the may 4th, i KNEW thatd be there, but you know that assessment we did in term 4? i was one of the few who chose militarism.

ami i the only one from our class who did the foreign support one do u think??

im not sure, i think most people would have done the may fourth movement. apparently with the foreign support one though you could have gone on to talk about yenan and the importance of foreign support there.....shite shite. exams completely ruin the modern history experience.
i didn't study the may fourth stuff, and i didnt think i could write a substantial essay about foreign support....so i just wrote a mediocre, waffly one on may fourth :(:( *sigh*

ehhh...zhu de was good though hahahah

soiled_poncho

I wanted one on Nationalism in the 1920s, so May 4th came into the prediction too.

<i>you'll do fine. you always do </i> Same goes for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)