• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

China vs Taiwan (3 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lol i'd take taiwan's side.... china has NO right to control them as the current government has NEVER had sovereignty over taiwan after the civil war... It would be like america claiming ownership of england.

I'm kinda worried about the `08 olympics cuz if china doesn't perform as well as they're hoping i get the feeling the crowds could go crazy.. china's a very nationalist country.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
lol i'd take taiwan's side.... china has NO right to control them as the current government has NEVER had sovereignty over taiwan after the civil war... It would be like america claiming ownership of england.

I'm kinda worried about the `08 olympics cuz if china doesn't perform as well as they're hoping i get the feeling the crowds could go crazy.. china's a very nationalist country.
lol, I'm more worried about SARS, hahahahha.

Collin

HSC
N/A
meLoncoLLie said:
lol you referred chiqui to me for maths tutoring...remember? ;)
I wouldn't bet on it, Xiao has the memory capacity of a duck. Ahaha.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There is no use arguing against me, because my arguments are correct. Taiwan is a part of China. It always has been, and always will be. And I'll be a peking duck before I see it an independent nation.

^___^
HSC
can i just add something

they dun officially call it taiwan

its "People's Republic of China" and "Republic of China" //i think.. but i definately not "taiwan" alone

just dun let Toodulu see this thread :p

^___^
HSC
Phanatical said:
That's like asking who here is Australian, and who here is Tasmanian. A Tasmanian might be inbred, but they're still Australian.
excuse me, can u tell me why u chose Tasmania/ Australia with China/Taiwan ??
Like one is a state of a country, while the other is not...even though tasmania is only connected by this little patch of water known as the "tasmania sea" it is still part of the country, this can been seen when tasmania's vote is considered in the national election.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Phanatical said:
There is no use arguing against me, because my arguments are correct. Taiwan is a part of China. It always has been, and always will be. And I'll be a peking duck before I see it an independent nation.
Actually china (people's republic) took china from taiwan (republic of china), so it could be seen that china is actually a part of taiwan and china isn't an independant nation.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You could see it that way if you wish. But there is only one government of China, and I would assume it's the one who defeated the Kuomintang.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
... said:
excuse me, can u tell me why u chose Tasmania/ Australia with China/Taiwan ??
Like one is a state of a country, while the other is not...even though tasmania is only connected by this little patch of water known as the "tasmania sea" it is still part of the country, this can been seen when tasmania's vote is considered in the national election.
Tasmania is a state of Australia.

Taiwan is a province of China. Even though Taiwan is only connected by this little patch of water known as the "Taiwan straits" it is still part of the country, this can be seen when Taiwan's vote is counted in the National Peoples' Congress, along with the votes of every other province, municipality, autonomous region, and the Special Administrative Regions.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
... Tasmania doesn't have it's own constitution, the people of tasmania don't want autonomy from mainland australia, tasmania isn't running as it's own economy, tasmania isn't using a different style of government.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Tasmania most certainly does have its own constitution, as does Victoria, NSW, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia. Each of these are independent of the Australian parliament, and is in fact where the term division of powers comes from. Do you think that the Liberal Federal Government would allow the Labor State Governments to make laws which contradict it?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In terms of Economy, Hong Kong and Macao each have their own economies, yet they are still part of China. They also have their own constitutions.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yes and if the people of hong kong wanted to be separated from china they should....
If taiwan was already such a part of china as u say it is then why does china feel they may need to come in and attack any rebellion against them?

Just because there has been a change of government on the mainland doesn't mean there has to be a change of government everywhere.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There is a rebel force on Taiwan Province, who call themselves the legitimate government. That's what it comes down to. They ARE an illegal government, who have no sovereignty over the Province. The fact that the PRC are willing to negotiate a Two Systems, One China arrangement is extremely generous.

Honestly though, what is wrong with being part of the world's largest and most powerful nation? Why anybody would want to secede is beyond me, but the fact is that they'll never be allowed to.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
LOL

China is the world's most populace nation, but definately not the most powerful... if america pulled out their foreign investment in china it would be stuffed.

Taiwan has a much better economy than china, although china is starting to become more advanced... The taiwanese would do much better for themselves being a part of their own independant nation, as they have proven.

I think it's funny that you consider them the rebel force although they were there first.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
China has a pretty damn strong economy. It remains one of the few nations on earth that could survive without any trade with the outside.

They're a rebel force because they're no longer the legitimate government of China.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Compared with taiwan its economy has been weak leading into even the 1990's...

They are not the legitimate force in china however on taiwan which used to be inhabited by natives, 1 million people fled from the mainland and set up the old government on taiwan, this has led to the nation of today.

Saying that taiwan is not a nation is the same as saying china isn't a nation...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
no taiwan defiantely came first....

Taiwan embraces pop-culture.

I'd also like to point out that it seems this could be the set up for wwIII, with north korea with their wmd's, china and taiwan seeming to get closer and closer to war and the US supplying taiwan with weapons while maintaining they support 'one china', as they wish to slowly make china more democratic.... pretty worrysome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)