• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

China vs Taiwan (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
you two, we need you in current affairs!
No I don't think Taiwan should become independent - though yes, I know tw and mainland china have differing economies etc.
But Taiwanese are Chinese....they have squinty eyes and yellow skin like the rest of us.
China now has a yi guo liang zhi policy, which means one nation, two 'zhi du' - i.e. capitalism and communism. HK has accepted it pretty well, why can't TW?
I'd be in there right now, but I've got exams. I didn't even want to argue on the issue of sovereignty but Phanyboy had to bring it up. After my last exam tomorrow though, I'll be there.

Taiwan doesn't want to accept it because they don't believe they are the property of the mainland, under it's constitution blah blah. Of course, the legality of this whole situation is ambiguous and inconclusive.. but Hong Kong was essentially on a formal contracted lease to Britain, and it was made clear that the city would be returned to Chinese sovereignty at the handover.. so Hong Kong can't really not accept Chinese sovereignty, if ya get my drift.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
srsly JKD - what's the fucking pt?

political and religious debates on student forums only get ppl pissed off and swear at each other... and there's no fucking result except a closed thread, mods getting pissed off and shit...

and besides, all our debating and arguments don't count for shit to the political situation. we can't vote in Taiwan or China. we can't protest rally in Australia, coz it'll have minimal effect. voice our opinions online? i think we've already established our political divide and that's not gonna be easily changed.

so back to something nice and politically-correct like teeny-bopper music...

Peace out. :D
The fact remains that there are issues concerning Taiwan and the mainland, and I think it's only beneficial to discuss them since we ARE Chinese or Taiwanese, and trying to avoid the topic seems kinda like denial. I don't see any targetted swearing. People here are DEBATING, not FLAMING. Realise that Frigid. If the thread get's flamish, then it will be closed, which are the mods jobs. But it hasn't so you're gonna have to deal with it.

Peace out. :D

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
The fact remains that there are issues concerning Taiwan and the mainland, and I think it's only beneficial to discuss them since we ARE Chinese or Taiwanese
even though i believe that we are basically chinese/taiwanese/asian/homo sapien sapiens mongolis, the fact is we have no voting rights in China or Taiwan. Therefore, our opinions count for shit all.

To summarise this thread:
JKD and NTB think Taiwan is a separate entity. all well and good, they are entitled to their opinion.

me, cherryblossom and phanatical think Taiwan is not a separate entity. all well and good.

each to its own, each to its own.

peace out - vote for the greenz :D

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
JKDDragon said:
I'd be in there right now, but I've got exams. I didn't even want to argue on the issue of sovereignty but Phanyboy had to bring it up. After my last exam tomorrow though, I'll be there.

Taiwan doesn't want to accept it because they don't believe they are the property of the mainland, under it's constitution blah blah. Of course, the legality of this whole situation is ambiguous and inconclusive.. but Hong Kong was essentially on a formal contracted lease to Britain, and it was made clear that the city would be returned to Chinese sovereignty at the handover.. so Hong Kong can't really not accept Chinese sovereignty, if ya get my drift.
Yes I get your point, but Taiwanese speak Chinese, write Chinese, have the same culture...they ARE Chinese.....

Collin

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
even though i believe that we are basically chinese/taiwanese/asian/homo sapien sapiens mongolis, the fact is we have no voting rights in China or Taiwan. Therefore, our opinions count for shit all.

To summarise this thread:
JKD and NTB think Taiwan is a separate entity. all well and good, they are entitled to their opinion.

me, cherryblossom and phanatical think Taiwan is not a separate entity. all well and good.

each to its own, each to its own.

peace out - vote for the greenz :D
Of course our opinions count for shit all, but what is so wrong about discussing them? I don't see any positives out of just avoiding the issue, because it's quite clearly there and some of us find it interesting to debate against others on it. Our opinions didn't count shit towards the U.S election, but it's still interesting to convey them in the form of arguments towards other people. We don't have to debate on only things which we can make difference on. Debating is like a sharing of knowledge and people can see the viewpoints of others and perhaps learn from them.

Just to clarify your summary, I don't think that Taiwan is objectively a separate entity. I think that Taiwan believes it is a separate entity, by it's own constitution and arguments, and that Taiwan is part of the mainland's sovereignty, under the PRC's constitution. I.e my point was, there is ambiguity over which one's claims are legitimate, while phany thought that the PRC's claims to Taiwan are strictly correct, no ambiguity present.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
What you forget is that while the military against China is considerable, there aren't actually any Americans in China who could commit decisive acts against the Chinese people. Over in America, there are plenty of Chinese people who could bomb buildings, and cause disruption on their homefront. When Chinese people all over the world are attacking the American embassies in their countries...

Collin

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
Yes I get your point, but Taiwanese speak Chinese, write Chinese, have the same culture...they ARE Chinese.....
Exactly, I've made that point a few pages ago. There are no ambiguity over which RACE they are but the argument is really about sovereignty and nationalities etc.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
What you forget is that while the military against China is considerable, there aren't actually any Americans in China who could commit decisive acts against the Chinese people. Over in America, there are plenty of Chinese people who could bomb buildings, and cause disruption on their homefront. When Chinese people all over the world are attacking the American embassies in their countries...
Hey phany, when you post can you please quote.. cause sometimes I can't figure out who you're replying to. Thanks buddy.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
I.e my point was, there is ambiguity over which one's claims are legitimate, while phany thought that the PRC's claims to Taiwan are strictly correct, no ambiguity present.
interesting... anyway, i will have to talk abt this later bcoz i wanna take a break... EXAMS ARE OVER FOR ME YAY

oh and last time i discussed this i got belted over the head by a tw girl from this forum :rolleyes:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Exactly, I've made that point a few pages ago. There are no ambiguity over which RACE they are but the argument is really about sovereignty and nationalities etc.
Argh, I don't really want to go there because I'll end up offending people, and enough people hate me on this board already lol.
But the thing is the Taiwanese have this perception that they're somehow superior to mainland chinese, and that doesn't make them very popular there.
And in response to 2008 - I will go if I can get tickets and someone to come with me. :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
Argh, I don't really want to go there because I'll end up offending people, and enough people hate me on this board already lol.
But the thing is the Taiwanese have this perception that they're somehow superior to mainland chinese, and that doesn't make them very popular there.
And in response to 2008 - I will go if I can get tickets and someone to come with me. :D
I'll come with ya. But you'll have to deal with my dad's heavy smoking.. and all the carbon monoxide poisoning and shit. HAha.

I just really wanna see the Chinese Ping Pong team in action.. IN CHINA. And for once, I wanna see China win over the U.S in the Gold Tally (probably won't happen, but still.. stay positive) :D

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
If all of China would compete as a single team, then there wouldn't be any problems.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
To this day, I am convinced that one of the main reasons the US tried to break up the Soviet Union is so that instead of competing against one super-team at the Olympics, they'd be competing against lots of little independent ones.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
JKDDragon said:
I'll come with ya. But you'll have to deal with my dad's heavy smoking.. and all the carbon monoxide poisoning and shit. HAha.

I just really wanna see the Chinese Ping Pong team in action.. IN CHINA. And for once, I wanna see China win over the U.S in the Gold Tally (probably won't happen, but still.. stay positive) :D
I always feel kind of bad supporting China instead of Aus in the olympics - you know the diving medal - first ever in Aus history...only reason the girl got it was because of her chinese coach.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
When Chinese people all over the world are attacking the American embassies in their countries...
actually this is really interesting pt...

as far as i know, the Chinese were the first race with suicide bombers, during guerilla warfare.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
If all of China would compete as a single team, then there wouldn't be any problems.
For once mate, I agree with you.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
I always feel kind of bad supporting China instead of Aus in the olympics
i dun feel bad coz i know the Chinese athletics work FUCKHARD for their gold medals and shit... and for every gold champion, there's like 10000 failures... it's a lot harder to be champion of a 1.3 billion ppl nation than a 19 million ppl one.

Collin

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
I always feel kind of bad supporting China instead of Aus in the olympics - you know the diving medal - first ever in Aus history...only reason the girl got it was because of her chinese coach.
Um, besides the swimming and tennis, (because I'm WAY for Aussies than their rival Americans) I've always IN GENERAL gone for the Chinese over the Aussies. I'm one of those real 'patriotic' people.. and even though I love Australia, I think I'll always go for China. During the Athens Olympics.. I didn't really follow the Aussie medal tally that much, mainly the Chinese one. Although I did give a huge shit about Thorpie.. cause I just wanted him to bring down Phelps in as many events as possible. :D

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Um, besides the swimming and tennis, (because I'm WAY for Aussies than their rival Americans) I've always IN GENERAL gone for the Chinese over the Aussies. I'm one of those real 'patriotic' people.. and even though I love Australia, I think I'll always go for China. During the Athens Olympics.. I didn't really follow the Aussie medal tally that much, mainly the Chinese one. Although I did give a huge shit about Thorpie.. cause I just wanted him to bring down Phelps in as many events as possible. :D
But Phelps is cute. :(

Collin

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
But Phelps is cute. :(
So's Anna Kournakova.. but I never go for her just because she's cute.

........ actually who am I kiddin. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)