Chinese Background , do or not?? (1 Viewer)

NiNiTeddy

HSC
yr 11 is coming, subject selection form is coming as well.....

i am not allowed to do chinese continuers so i am thinking about choosing chinese background..... but many friends told me ' dont do that shit!' ...

can you guys give me some advice about that???

i came here when i was yr 6 but honestly, my chinese is pretty good ( i practise it all the time..... shame......)

G

gaoOO

Don't do chinese background. Despite never studying in china, this was the option offered to me and it would have been stupid for me to accept.

The background course is basically equivalent to year 10-12 in china. The people i know who did this course came to australia in year 10 and year 11 and i think you'll face considerable disadvantage.

HKHSCstudent

HSC
Uni Grad
回覆: Re: Chinese Background , do or not??

I think you should do Chinese Background course if u come to aust in yr 6, u have a primary school chinese level at least. I think u can do fine if u read more chinese articles and write more . After all, the background course is really not that hard...as it mostly requires u to read from a range of texts types and make judgements and write simple essays on it in the exam, it is mostly what we are doing in English exam. and also the topics for writing in the exam are quite straight forward, like writing a letter to a friend or company , presenting an agruement in an essay.

no matter u face disadvantage or not , u will need chinese if u go back to live in china.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Don't do it. The course is considerably harder than continuers and you'll be facing people who really do come from China.
Also, it scales VERY badly even if you do well in it. I think last year, the top mark was 49.5 and got scaled down to 20-something?

You can still do it if they're extra units and you're doing it to study the language but don't consider it for the 10 units that count for your final HSC mark.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
itadakimus said:
Don't do it. The course is considerably harder than continuers and you'll be facing people who really do come from China.
Also, it scales VERY badly even if you do well in it. I think last year, the top mark was 49.5 and got scaled down to 20-something?

You can still do it if they're extra units and you're doing it to study the language but don't consider it for the 10 units that count for your final HSC mark.
Your information is incorrect. The top mark last year was 48/50 = 96/100 and this mark was scaled to 47.4/50 = 94.8.

For your information, there was no subject that was scaled down to 20.

Source: 2007 scaling report.

By the way, you are responding to the post that was put up last year.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
I did Chinese BS, I found it rather interesting and fun. Yes, it is a subject scaled badly. But honestly, if you have to do it for the scaling, I feel sorry for you.

It definitely gave me a lot more insight into some bits which I missed during the schooling in Australia.

Additionally, the course structure is rather well adapted in the social context.
Yes, it's a thread from last year...

nonezwe

HSC
I think u'd better not to do that.
i study chinese bs, few of my friend also do that as me, we come from china and have a strong language skill.... :(

Last edited:

superle

HSC
lyounamu said:
Your information is incorrect. The top mark last year was 48/50 = 96/100 and this mark was scaled to 47.4/50 = 94.8.

Lol that's not too bad.
Maybe I'll continue it for next year ~

In the end it's your own choice, but since everyone here is so against it I thought I'd point out a few good things about it.

- It's improved my chinese heaps.
I can write faster & have learnt to write essays & speeches that i thought I was never capable of before.
- It's at saturday school & from me&my friends' experience, it's really fun !XD
- You can bring your dictionary into tests haha
- Some questions/essays/listening tests must/can be answered in english.

btw I was born &raised in Australia so i'm sure you're much better off than me :)

spudcake

HSC
Yes do background, its really easy to get high marks in chinese. I did continuers this year when i shudve been doing beginner and it was soo frigging hard and the thing that pissed me off more than anything was people who should be in background doing the course.

If you speak chinese at home with ur parents u shud be doing background. People say its hard but thats because they compare themselves to the people in the 99.9 range, its the same as if u say u wont do maths because some people are good at maths

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
lyounamu said:

Oh sorry, I didn't realise that this was an old post at the time but the information is still relevant to other people, no?

I double checked after you said that, and yes, you're right the top mark wasn't scaled down that much. Sorry, I misread the report. But the mean mark of 40.2 was scaled down to 21.5 which means unless you're certain you're going to do extremely well, Chinese background isn't a good idea.

Source: 2008 scaling report

shuning

HSC
i came to australia on the end of year 5, atm im doing chinese background cuz i have no other subject to chose, my advice is. DONT DO IT!!!!!

every1 else in the class came to australia around yr 10 and y11 so during the hsc u dont stand a chance compeleting with em. also the teachers r crap as.... cuz so hard to find chinese teacher those days, so all the chinese teachers avilable basiclly does jack shit, but cuz the students mostly finished yr9 or 10ish in china, so they are still getting close to full marks all the time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)