Chinese parenting compared to Western (1 Viewer)

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
my mother's family were hunters. They lived as hunters. They didn't have real jobs and they lived off selling pigeons and other meats ot the chinese.

my mother never got birthday presents and they often went without food. There was a man on a bike with buckets that would ride in and collect everyones shit in buckets.

prostitutes lived across the road ffrom her and paraded their services at the front of the house. the really poor lived in shanty houses.

my mother used to down rats that got into the house and ran across the beams in buckets of water

mirakon

nigga
HSC
yes I concede it must be true that authoritarian regimes such as the Chinese Communist Party imposed draconian laws and instituted cruel punishments for simply objecting to the extraordinarily harsh measure imposed by the state. But it isn't a feature endemic to Asian societies. It's been the case with the former Soviet Union too, not to mention authoritarian regimes in Europe such as Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy. But like I said before in contemporary times Asian societies are far more progressive, it'd be a slap in the face to every Chinese for saying that our way of doing things is backward and unjustly cruel compared to the West
how so?

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Well if you look at Korea and Japan, both nations have been thoroughly Westernised (mostly due to American influence in the Asia Pacific region) and have reaped the benefits of having a Western, Capitalist, Open Market Economy. China is now experimenting with both having a Free Market Economy while retaining tight control over important industries. I'd say they're pretty progressive in coming up with a hybrid Capitalist/Communist Free Market Economy.

Sides you can't justify that following the Western way of parenting means you are more progressive. In different parts of the world ppl will always have a different way of dealing with things so that no two societies are identical. Several nations in South East Asia in the past have had authoritarian dictatorships who have perpetrated crimes against humanity. Even South Korea was once a police state run by a military dictatorship but look where it is today. And China is rapidly developing into a nation worthy of international acknowledgment and respect although it still has a long way to go. But it is getting there, however slowly and cautiously. Each nation has their own set of specific challenges that they must address so its wrong to simply imply that practises adopted and implemented in the West will necessarily work in China. For example There's no point in granting everyone equal freedom to criticise and challenge the govt so openly at a time such as this. Such an implosion would probably destroy the social fabric of China because, given 80% of the population are peasants and poor urban workers who are failry discontent with the Communist regime, would no doubt voice their dissatisfaction and that could upset the balance of industry and agriculture. Whereas supposedly democratic countries like Malaysia and Pakistan are governed by a whole different set of laws; in this case it would be strict Islamic law which still incorporates extremely cruel punishments such as beheading, like Jaundice mentioned earlier, for crimes, I would say, such as blasphemy against the Islamic religion

I deeply apologise if I've offended anyone by dismissing the plight of those who have suffered directly from institutionalized cruelty, cause after all my family and I haven't experienced anything like that. I am aware that human rights abuses, and even inhumane punishments, are still prevalent in many countries across the world, particularly in Asia. I think the figure published by a certain Human Rights Group was that 1/2 nations perpetrate human rights violations. But you simply cannot hold all Asian countries accountable to the wayward actions of the minority who have seized power through undemocratic processes.

Btw this thread is going way off track we're supposed to be debating the merits and cons of Chinese parenting in comparison into the West, not allow ourselves to be drawn up into an argument about Asia being perpetually backward and primitive compared to the West

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
nah i hear some pretty fucking bad stories and how peoples heads are cut off with machette's and put into bridges and buildings because they are supersitious and believe it will make the structure super strong or will never break
I remember as a child stories of heads being deployed to provide for stronger bridge foundations. That probably did not happen. Of course long ago the majority of Chinese did not have formal education; they just did not have the opportunity. That's why the Chinese nation was anxious to stand up after being down and trodden for a couple of hundred years. Now that it has slowly, with much stumbling along the way, standing up. And the West (including Australia) is getting anxious.

I'm also curious as to what the term Asian implies. Asia itself is such a large continent and its peoples are so different. You can;t generalise about Asians. If we consider the continent itself, the following are Asians: Uzbeks, Afghans, Indian, Pakistani, Arab, Japanese, Indonesians, Filpinos, Thais, Japanese, Koreans, Japanese, Laotians, Cambodians, Vietnamese,Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis, Bhutanese, Burmese, Iranians, Chinese etc etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't you guys think Vietnamese, Chinese, Koreans, Thais but not Indians, Pakistanis and Arabs. In other words Asians have assumes the restricted meaning of what used to be referred to as Orientals or Asiatics.

I know I'm going off in a tangent.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think you'll find that Asian parenting styles whether it be in India or China or the Philippines aren't all that different. There's still a degree of strictness that the news article implies.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I think you'll find that Asian parenting styles whether it be in India or China or the Philippines aren't all that different. There's still a degree of strictness that the news article implies.
No. Filipino parenting philosophy would be quite different from Chinese.

In general, all parents want their children to do well; to be successful and to be ultimately happy. But different cultures have different values and have different criteria for success. In general, Chinese homes tend to value academic achievements more highly. It is not necessarily because they don't value sports . . . over its history there has been little sports (compared to say US and Australia) and in their experience there was little money in sports; and money has been important because most of the Chinese have been poor and hungry.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I've found across Asia - there's a strong emphasis on effort and academics. I just generalised enough.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I've found across Asia - there's a strong emphasis on effort and academics. I just generalised enough.
Just out of interest Shadowdude, what did you end up getting for your major work? I remember we were both fairly active on the EE2 forum before it was hacked.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I got raw 31.5 or 33.5 (probably the latter) and 8, for an aligned of... 47 I believe. 46 HSC mark. Still, E4's are E4's!

EDIT: 33.5/40 & 8.5/10 (42/50) for 46.8 aligned.

Last edited:

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
I remember as a child stories of heads being deployed to provide for stronger bridge foundations. That probably did not happen. Of course long ago the majority of Chinese did not have formal education; they just did not have the opportunity. That's why the Chinese nation was anxious to stand up after being down and trodden for a couple of hundred years. Now that it has slowly, with much stumbling along the way, standing up. And the West (including Australia) is getting anxious.

I'm also curious as to what the term Asian implies. Asia itself is such a large continent and its peoples are so different. You can;t generalise about Asians. If we consider the continent itself, the following are Asians: Uzbeks, Afghans, Indian, Pakistani, Arab, Japanese, Indonesians, Filpinos, Thais, Japanese, Koreans, Japanese, Laotians, Cambodians, Vietnamese,Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis, Bhutanese, Burmese, Iranians, Chinese etc etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't you guys think Vietnamese, Chinese, Koreans, Thais but not Indians, Pakistanis and Arabs. In other words Asians have assumes the restricted meaning of what used to be referred to as Orientals or Asiatics.

I know I'm going off in a tangent.
nah they've actually found heads in building structures when theyre been destroyed or replaced or removed etc.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
yes I concede it must be true that authoritarian regimes such as the Chinese Communist Party imposed draconian laws and instituted cruel punishments for simply objecting to the extraordinarily harsh measure imposed by the state. But it isn't a feature endemic to Asian societies. It's been the case with the former Soviet Union too, not to mention authoritarian regimes in Europe such as Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy. But like I said before in contemporary times Asian societies are far more progressive, it'd be a slap in the face to every Chinese for saying that our way of doing things is backward and unjustly cruel compared to the West
im in no way an authority on this subject, and im nowhere close to being qualified to make such statements, but i think 'draconian parenting' is actually the norm, and the more hands-free style of parenting has actually only spread from that cultural epicenter called 'america' to the rest of the world.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
i get the feeling that south asian (im talking in and around india) parenting is even more strict than oriental parenting. for those that are qualified to talk about tehse things, is this true?

boris

Banned
HSC
asians might have superior IQs

yet here we are, Australia with a mostly Anglo population still, with far greater social and economic outcomes than any asian nation.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
asians might have superior IQs

yet here we are, Australia with a mostly Anglo population still, with far greater social and economic outcomes than any asian nation.
No. There are so many different Asians(see my earlier post) - you can't generalise.

Also there's not much use having higher IQ if your utilisation of that IQ is lower than the Anglos. Say you have a Masters degree, but for whatever reason, end up driving a cab, your IQ isn't being put to good use.

Last edited:

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
That's so interesting. Do you have documented references?
this is malaysia you might watch it on the news over there and never see anything offical about it again or see it in a paper and never see anything offical about it again.

there are all these killings over there that get hushed up. the government likes to keep people in the dark.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
I know in the 50-60's they found bodies in buildings too and you have bucklies finding any web documents on it.

its like trying to find web sources on shit that goes down in the reallly bad african counttries.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i get the feeling that south asian (im talking in and around india) parenting is even more strict than oriental parenting. for those that are qualified to talk about tehse things, is this true?
not my parents, they're fairly liberal, but someone I know has really strict south asian parents. They're pretty much the same as other strict asian parents.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
i think 'draconian parenting' is actually the norm, and the more hands-free style of parenting has actually only spread from that cultural epicenter called 'america' to the rest of the world.
lolno

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
this is malaysia you might watch it on the news over there and never see anything offical about it again or see it in a paper and never see anything offical about it again.

there are all these killings over there that get hushed up. the government likes to keep people in the dark.
When were all these? In which news media? I'm really curious.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)