"Chinese Takeaway" (1 Viewer)

Kittycat

HSC
transcendent said:
That's a much better arguement, mainly cause I find members of Falun Gong annoying having their branch right next to my faculty I want to firebomb it.
Yea, they are bloody annoying.

transcendent said:
You at the 'library'? I'm at Com labs :p
nah, my bum is firmly planted at home. whoa, you are at uni early today.
By the way, love the new look

Demandred

HSC
Phanatical, you would happen to be one of those kidnapped, smuggled and brainwashed?

There is absolutely no doubt that China abuses human rights, the government's record can be compared to that of the Nazis, only on the different end of the spectrum.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
So... you're saying there are 'no' chinese spies?

ummm ok? Vietnam seems to have nothing to do with anything =/

That's a fair enough assumption.

And with this you lose all credibility...

OMG those bastards!!! Off with their heads :rolleyes:

....Lucky guy? I don't get this comment are you claiming it was all a big scam?
OK I didn't mean it like that.
I don't know if there are spies.
If there were I doubt they'd pose any danger to Australia. They probably have orders to gather some little titbits of info that will help to develop which ever aspect of the economy back home, which will improve the welfare of the Chinese people. Like, how to treat wastewater properly. Are you against that? China is a developing country. It wants to develop.

the chinese govt calls it an event, not a massacre. I'm not going to go into the implications of tiananmen, it's been done, I'm not going to do it again. It was wrong, and terrible, BUT the student leaders cashed in on it. If you read their accounts of the situation, they totally did it to sway the opinions of Westerns. And if it hadn't happened much worse would have. The civil stability would have ravaged the economy and resulted in much more suffering. I don't care if you don't agree with me. Democracy can only be implemented in a relatively economically developed society such as the US or Australia, trying to implement it in a developing country will give you a East Timor esque situ. You can't try to strap a Western mask on an Eastern face. The more you try, the more you fail.

don't tell me things like this don't happen in the west. The western governments are just as screwed. Can I remind you that Lieutenant Calley was pardoned for the massacre at My Lai?

yes it does. The Western attitudes that we have have to do with everything, how we deal with political situtions including this one. If you knew how things worked in China I reckon you'd feel differently.

waffy said:
But you must agree that someone born overseas is infinitely more likely to be working as a spy than someone born within our own borders. I'm sorry if I'm sounding paranoid/racist, but I think our national security is somewhat more important than being politically correct.
I see your point.
it's not a matter of being politically correct though, it's outlawed...they couldn't do it if they wanted to.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Phanatical, I would like to know from what information you are able to form such a determined position on Falun Gong. You appear to be highly informed on any other topics you weigh into too, but when it comes to China and in particular the CCP your opinion can be likened to that of a little-red-book-waving un-questioning pawn.

I for one, cannot take a position on the Falun Gong movement and their treatment by the CCP. There are too many different accounts available for me to take any of them as the truth. I certainly hold anything from Xinhua to the highest levels of scrutiny. I am aware the Falun Gong have been accused of promoting some bizarre practises, some things as horrifying as self-mutilation, but I don't know whether this just CCP propaganda or really is an aspect of Falun Gong doctrine.

China's one-party tradition is sacred, but the CCP are a bunch of fools and must be replaced by the Emperor's decendants.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
leetom said:
I for one, cannot take a position on the Falun Gong movement and their treatment by the CCP. There are too many different accounts available for me to take any of them as the truth. I certainly hold anything from Xinhua to the highest levels of scrutiny. I am aware the Falun Gong have been accused of promoting some bizarre practises, some things as horrifying as self-mutilation, but I don't know whether this just CCP propaganda or really is an aspect of Falun Gong doctrine.
You're not the only one.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
supercharged said:
And which country in the world has a zero record of human rights abuses whatsoever?
I think the more pertinent question is what supposedly developed nation has more human rights abuses than China.

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I think the more pertinent question is what supposedly developed nation has more human rights abuses than China.
exactly right.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
ALLEGED "human rights abuses". I guess it depends on what you would call abuse of human rights, because if by that you mean the arrest and reeducation or execution of cultists in falun gong (among other examples), then those figures are obviously wrong.

Also, in regards to that link a few posts earlier: consider the fact that for 2200 years, our Confucian teachings essentially led to families with 10+ kids as commonplace as 2 or 3 kid families. What country can sustain a population growth of that magnitude?

Last edited:

Kittycat

HSC
0o0 said:
yes

china is such a cool country. no violation of human rights whatsoever.

http://www.taliacarner.com/deadnewborningutter.htm

wish i was there.
I don't really blame the law itself so much, it is the culture. The Chinese are too in love with sons. Sad? Yes definately. True that there needs to be better family planning in place to control the birth rate but Chinese love their sons too much man. The future doesn't look very good. If this continue, there will be alot of unmarried horny men who will have no family, if the policy isn't in place, instead of China being a developing country, it will become one dead overpopulated country that can't afford any thing.
Both way, it doesn't look very bright....... oh, did I mention the little emperors?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
How about taking into account population? It's not like China has like alot of people or anything. :rolleyes:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Kittycat said:
I don't really blame the law itself so much, it is the culture. The Chinese are too in love with sons. Sad? Yes definately. True that there needs to be better family planning in place to control the birth rate but Chinese love their sons too much man. The future doesn't look very good. If this continue, there will be alot of unmarried horny men who will have no family, if the policy isn't in place, instead of China being a developing country, it will become one dead overpopulated country that can't afford any thing.
Both way, it doesn't look very bright....... oh, did I mention the little emperors?
Sons carry the family name. Under Confucianism, the demands to carry on the family line were as great as the demands to care for their parents. Sons look after their parents, daughters look after their husband's parents.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Well there are MANY, MANY countries that make the supposed cases of human rights abuses in China look like a picnic at the beach, many Middle Eastern countries have professional human rights abusers, even the Americans secretly send their prisoners over there to be tortured to the brink of death.

however I think Afganistan under the Taliban (now warlord rule outside of Kabul) rule takes the cake for the worst human rights for its inhabitants with public executions as entertainment and bodies hung from light poles and left to rot to warn the public

also many islamic african countries have public stoneing to death of female adulters, forced female circumcision and use child soldiers as cannon fodder

However none of these countries are particulary "developed," so I would have to say the worst developed nation for human rights would be the loyal US ally of Israel.

Israel uses giant armoured bulldozers to crush the homes of Palestians with no rights or compensation that happen to be in the way of israeli west bank expansion, and has been known to use them to plow over foreign peace protesters and humans rights activists have been shot by "accident" by the Israeli army.

Israeli soldiers also capture palestian youths and tie them up as human shields to protect them from stone throwing protesters. Israel also has no quams about firing anti tank missiles into crowded public streets to kill one intended target and "regrets" killing all the surrounding innocent bystanders that "just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time". Israel also rounds up anyone who tries to resist the illegal expansion of israeli settlements and tortures them without mercy, and list goes on and on...

So in a word ISRAEL :uhhuh: China's human rights are not bad at all

As you can see despite what neo cons say, democracy is no guarantee of human rights...

Last edited:

Kittycat

HSC
Phanatical said:
Sons carry the family name. Under Confucianism, the demands to carry on the family line were as great as the demands to care for their parents. Sons look after their parents, daughters look after their husband's parents.
Yes, I do understand that sons carry the family name but unfortunately today, it is where the name ends... with the son. No wife, no kids. My maternal grandparents are one of those people who wanted a son. My grandmother had four daughters to finally have a son on the fifth attempt. Who ended up taking care of her? Her son & daughter in law? No, they are too 'busy' but it is her own daughters who takes care of her. It is weird that they expect their son & daughter in law to take care of them but it is their daughters who have to do it in the end. I understand that sons & daughters in law have to do it in the old days but now? nah as if, especially now with the little emperors.
One lovely story about the love of sons: One of my mothers former co-workers said that he rather have son who beats him up later when he grows up than a daughter, even if she takes care of him. Weirdo, I sure hope that his wish come true & that his son will grow up & beat him up for good, every single day.

I think every country & culture is different. Unfortunately, sometimes some of our 'Human Rights' have to be given up in so that the country can operate... yes I know that I might be kicked for saying that but anyway, like I said different cultures are, well, different & what works one may not work for another.

transcendent said:
Hopefully Confucianism will come to an end and be replaced with realism.
Really? Confucianism is not that bad. Some are actually good... in some way... & yes, we do need some doses of realism

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
withoutaface said:
China is a developing nation!
and you have to take into account the fact that China has more people than anywhere else.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
leetom said:
Phanatical, I would like to know from what information you are able to form such a determined position on Falun Gong. You appear to be highly informed on any other topics you weigh into too, but when it comes to China and in particular the CCP your opinion can be likened to that of a little-red-book-waving un-questioning pawn.

China's one-party tradition is sacred, but the CCP are a bunch of fools and must be replaced by the Emperor's decendants.
oh god you sound almost as bad as....

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Maybe when your relatives are the victims of Falun Gong, you might feel differently about it.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
And how about Russia or Indonesia? both their police forces and military don't give a shit about human rights

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)