Choice between Murder and Communication (1 Viewer)

tarnished

HSC
N/A
Well, hi. I knew you'd be lured in by the title. =D.Basically, I've just started Ext. II and am currently stuck between two ideas. I was originally researching for material on my original MW idea - an exploration of how different people and cultures communicate and interraction, negatively and positively - and then I came across a newspaper headline reading [Mother Thinks She'll Lose Custody So Stabs Son], and started thinking maybe my MW could be instead an investigation into murder and a psychological exploration of why people commit the crimes they do..So which do you, honestly and regardless of which one you think I enjoy more, think is the better option to pursue in the MW? And should I use poetry or short stories - for both the murder and communication investigations I think I need to explore the various differing perspectives and varying circumstances, so for the fiction medium, I think I might need to do many short stories perhaps thematically connected.What do you think? Murder? Interaction? Poetry? Short Story? Many short stories? And how should I do the short stories: many pieces of fiction just linked thematically, or a longer piece with smaller sections?

Last edited:

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
which do you, honestly and regardless of which one you think I enjoy more, think is the better option to pursue in the MW?

And should I use poetry or short stories - for both the murder and communication investigations I think I need to explore the various differing perspectives and varying circumstances, so for the fiction medium, I think I might need to do many short stories perhaps thematically connected.What do you think? Murder? Interaction? Poetry? Short Story? Many short stories? And how should I do the short stories: many pieces of fiction just linked thematically, or a longer piece with smaller sections?
Well, personally I think the Communication topic has more potential to be enjoyable for you and not drag you into some very dark and depressing places. Perhaps during your HSC year you don't really want to be visiting those stressful ares of the human psyche.

Also, the Communication topic could be quite fun and lend itself to some interesting and quite amusing misunderstandings.

In terms of what you do - if you do poetry then it has to be VERY good poetry. There is nothing worse than poetry done badly. But doing vignettes and linking them thematicaly is a good idea.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I'd also lean towards the communication option.

I mean, both are good ideas, but markers have to read through a lot of dark stuff, and I'm sure you could make the communication one humorous and enlightening for the audience, which will be a nice refreshment from the bleakness of others... Which will then be translated into marks!

Yes, I'd do communication.

And as alcalder said, you don't want to have to be exploring such morbid things when you yourself may being to slip into stressful/down hsc mode. I did a mini major work in EXI this year, and it focused a bit on depression and isolation, and god, when I wrote it, it really affected me- negatively. Such an intense thing to dedicate a large portion of your life to. You get consumed...... ha, so, just a warning.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Well, hi. I knew you'd be lured in by the title. =D.Basically, I've just started Ext. II and am currently stuck between two ideas.
Your idea will evolve and change as the year goes on... don't get bogged down on the minor details now. Just keep researching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)