• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

choosing subjects for eng/sci (1 Viewer)

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Yes, one tute for each.

Those days sound good (might be tired by 4pm Friday though ...)

sunny

meh.
HSC
During first week there are only lectures, none of the labs and tutes are on.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by TheKey
it seems i dont actually get to choose any of my subjects untill the 2nd year....
thats strange- i'm doing a similiar course @ usyd but i'm doing 2 subjects towards my science degree. :)

btw, what major r u aiming for with ya science degree? :)

TheKey

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
You can still enrol in the higher maths subjects if you really want to - the COLA advice system doesn't have the final say.
i am kinda afraid that they will later tell me i cant do high maths and they will change me to normal maths, and since by then most tute and lecture times times would be full, i may end up with a really bad timetable.

Also thx alot fot that 'class search' tip sunny, so much better/faster than looking for each school department and trying to find their timetables.

just one last stupid question, how many tutes or lectures do we choose for each subject?

eg. ELEC1010 UOC=3 HPW=3

so this means i should have 3 hours per week worth of this subject right? so 1 lecture of 1 h + 2 tutes of 1h each or how does this go?

or is it simply 1 lecture per subject + 1 tutorial per subject per week, regardles whether the subject is 6 UOC or 3 UOC.

TheKey

HSC
Re: Re: choosing subjects for eng/sci

Originally posted by freaking_out
thats strange- i'm doing a similiar course @ usyd but i'm doing 2 subjects towards my science degree. :)

btw, what major r u aiming for with ya science degree? :)
i was planning to major in Electronics for Elec Eng and since thats mostly hardware related i wanted computer science from my Science part so i can choose more software related electives to go with electronics. i was hoping after doing electronics i would have a better idea of what comp science elective would go well with it, as of now i am still undecided.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
just one last stupid question, how many tutes or lectures do we choose for each subject?

eg. ELEC1010 UOC=3 HPW=3

so this means i should have 3 hours per week worth of this subject right? so 1 lecture of 1 h + 2 tutes of 1h each or how does this go?

or is it simply 1 lecture per subject + 1 tutorial per subject per week, regardles whether the subject is 6 UOC or 3 UOC.
Actually if you look up the department site and check their timetables it says something like:
(Mechatronics site)http://www.mech.unsw.edu.au/mech/undergraduate/Timetables/1Y2004.pdf

On it you can see how it says there are for example three lectures for MECH1500 AND you get to choose one of those Tut/labs as indicated by the ORs. Did I get that right?

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
ahh....myUNSW is open again.

If you wanted to enrol in higher computing 1A (COMP1711) - regardless of whether you're doing arts, computer engineering, law or whatever, you still select COMP - Computer Science from the subject area list, and enter 1711 for the course code.
Ahh ok thanks for the help. :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
i am kinda afraid that they will later tell me i cant do high maths and they will change me to normal maths, and since by then most tute and lecture times times would be full, i may end up with a really bad timetable.

Also thx alot fot that 'class search' tip sunny, so much better/faster than looking for each school department and trying to find their timetables.

eg. ELEC1010 UOC=3 HPW=3

Do the search on myUNSW, and it'll say how many hours each are worth - 3hpw can be 2 lectures and 1 tute, 1 lecture and 1 tute/lab (abbreivated to TLB)

asdf

HSC
When searching for tutorial/lectures for our timetable, there are like 20 or so different ones to chooe from. For example Math1131:
http://www.geocities.com/nyouhana/math1131.JPG (copy and past the link for the pic to work).

Do i chose ONE from the group or something? If i chose one, that means there will be 4 hours of math1131 p/week, right?

And i dont need to worry about tutorials right now right?

Thanks

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by asdf
When searching for tutorial/lectures for our timetable, there are like 20 or so different ones to chooe from. For example Math1131:
http://www.geocities.com/nyouhana/math1131.JPG (copy and past the link for the pic to work).

Do i chose ONE from the group or something? If i chose one, that means there will be 4 hours of math1131 p/week, right?

And i dont need to worry about tutorials right now right?

Thanks
You pick one of each type. ie, one lecture stream, and one tute. For maths, there are two tutes you have to pick (TU1 and TU2) since there is a tute for algebra and one for calculus. The lectures are differentiated once they start. So 4 hours of lectures, plus the two 1 hour tutes = 6hpw for MATH1131.

Worry about the tutes now. They fill up quick.

asdf

HSC
Ah ok i get it now. But what about for example in comp1711. There is only one Lecture with 3 hours and the rest of the group has a "TLB" in it (each with 2.5hours). Is that Tut/Lab?

3 + 2.5 = 5.5 hours. Is that correct?

Thanks man :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yep, the TLB is a tute/lab combination - the first hour is a tute and the rest is the lab.

Tip for the TLBs, put it at the end of the day, so if you've finished your lab early you can leave.

asdf

HSC
hmmm...Comp1711 is clashing with Discrete Math1081. They both have onlly one lecture "group". ??

sunny

meh.
HSC
Contact CSE. This happened last year as well. The chances are they'll move the clashing comp lecture.

asdf

HSC
Ok thanks for your help. I'll contact them. :)

TheKey

HSC
hey asdf are you also doing elec eng/science (comp science)? if so how come were doing different subjects?

like ur doing Comp1711 while i have Comp1011, also i have MATH1090 for discrete maths and you have MATH1081.

sunny

meh.
HSC
COMP1711 is higher computing, COMP1011 is normal computing.

MATH1090 is discrete maths for electrical engineers, MATH1081 is just discrete maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)