• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

choosing subjects for eng/sci (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
hey sunny do you know if i can then take that higher comp in the first year (since my first year is basically doing EE alone), are they the same UOC? cause if anything is my strong point its computing...

like i bet u chose COMP1071, so did u have any friends doing EE in first year doing COMP1071?

sunny

meh.
HSC
I did COMP1711...its a far interesting subject than COMP1011 - and I reckon you get one of the best lecturers in the entire uni for it (Richard Buckland). I don't know anyone starting this year doing it though..

You can take the course...theres a couple of restrictions on it though. Check the virtual handbook for those.

TheKey

HSC
just found it

UC 6 HPW 7
Assumed Knowledge: There is no specific assumed knowledge. This course should be taken by those with HSC Maths 2 and 3 units: (145-150), or 3& 4 unit Maths (186-200), or UAI > 97
Note/s: Enrolment requires School approval.

yeh i dont fit the maths requirement i got 88% in 2unit and 33/50 in ext math, besides 'Enrolment requires School approval' so there no way i can get school approal when i have to enrol online.

is it perhaps possible to change subjects after a week or so, my friend (starting USYD this year) told me he can still change within the first week.

sunny

meh.
HSC
The deadline to change between 1711 and 1011 is about week 7. Other subjects is within first week

Note its not 7hpw. They might not be very strict on the requirements though (even though they sound like they are). Write a nice email to Richard, actually, Richard doesn't check his email so forget that - try and call him instead and ask.

TheKey

HSC
wow you guys actually phone your teacher, in high school thats unthinkable...(if unthinkable is even a word)

but yeh that sounds good then, i dont have any COMP subject in first semester so plenty of time to kill the MATH1131 class to make them forget my HSC marks.

Thanks for all the help Sunny, I really appreciate it.

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by TheKey
hey asdf are you also doing elec eng/science (comp science)? if so how come were doing different subjects?

like ur doing Comp1711 while i have Comp1011, also i have MATH1090 for discrete maths and you have MATH1081.
Yeh in the begining i wasn't sure whether to do Comp Engineering/Science Or EE/science so i put it as my second preference at the time. Now i wish i put it my first (I also didn't think i'd get into Computer Engineering with my UAI). Anyway, i dont meet the requiremnts for Comp1711 but i hope i get in anyway. :(

edit: hmm...sunny, do u think i should contact the Richard dude to ask him about enrolling in Comp1711?

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
COMP1711 is definately worth it if you're interested in computing or programming. I don't think myUNSW has anything to stop you from enrolling in COMP1711 even if you don't meet the requirements, but probably not worth risking getting caught.

If you are not too far off the requirement for COMP1711 - try and contact Richard and ask him about it.

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by sunny

If you are not too far off the requirement for COMP1711
ugh...What happens if i get caught? :eek:

asdf

HSC
lol as much as i love programming and seeing the type of work Sunny does in Comp1711 (handwriting recognition) im not risking it. :D

sunny

meh.
HSC
lol its not like crime or anything! though I don't really know what happens, since last year we did face to face enrolment so you can't enrol yourself in the wrong subjects (see how crap NSS was?). All I can imagine is if you don't have a good enough reason to be there they'd take you back down to normal comp - but thats what I think.

My suggestion is try and contact Richard to get into higher comp - good lecturer, good content (harder assignments), better class. If after several weeks you find 1711 is too hard drop down as soon as possible.

This form was what people used to transfer from 1011 to 1711 last year, maybe it can help you decide:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1711/consent-to-do-1711.html

Basically, 1711 students are expected to be motivated workers.

ed: handwriting recognition was in COMP1721 - higher computing 1B, not COMP1711 - higher computing 1A ;) Remember to qualify for higher computing 1B you need at least a D in COMP1011/COMP1711 in session 1.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)