choosing subjects for Year 11 (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
actually, scaling stays approximately the same each year. thats why i said "approximate" when i listed them. Subjects don't suddenly jump from being one of the worst scaled subjects to being one of the top scaled subjects, unless they're obscure languages with 5 people taking it. Also, you don't ever see aboriginal studies scaling better than chemistry, ever.

Last edited:

m&ss2008

HSC
foram said:
actually, scaling stays approximately the same each year.
no it doesnt actually. scaling can change irrationally depending on numerous circumstances. sure, they can be similar sometimes but can be equally likely to change suddenly

michael1990

HSC
m&ss2008 said:
no it doesnt actually. scaling can change irrationally depending on numerous circumstances. sure, they can be similar sometimes but can be equally likely to change suddenly
This is correct. Nothing is set in stone.

Sometimes Economics may scale higher than Physics and Chem but then the next year it could scale a little worse. It mostly depends how well the state actually does in the external exams.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
no no, i'm absolutely certain i'm correct. scaling does not change erraticly unless there are veryfew people doing the course. Chemistry and physics always scale well, and 4U and 3U math also always scale well. Economics usually scales well too. I don't imagine my subjects will suddenly scale very badly all of a sudden.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
( i might go for photography graphics designing or marine biologist :D)
Some science courses require mathematics. Some offer bridging courses. Check with each of the universities you're interested in. Just head to their websites (search google).
As for your other options, you won't even need to go to university. TAFE offers these programs and if you're still keen on uni, then you can transfer and get some credit points. If you do a Diploma in Graphic Design at TAFE, you can get up to 48 credit points (1 years' worth of uni study off your 4 year program - so that's only 3 years to do at uni) at UTS and up to 36crp at UoW.

so... does your UAI scale you down if you dont choose Maths in the HSC course? O_O"
No, excluding maths does not bring your UAI down.

Choose subjects you will excel in. Interest in not good enough, as I and many others have learnt - the hard way. You may be interested in something, but interest alone is not enough motivation. If you're not good at it, and your marks reflect that, you won't be motivated at all. You'll lose all interest and hate that subject.
I'd definitely choose Photography, if I were you. Visual Arts is quite different. You can still major in Visual Communication (graphics, multimedia, etc) but the theory will drag you down if you're not into art history and criticism.

The best advice I can give you or anybody else is just to take a look at some of the past HSC papers for the subjects you want to do and see how hard/easy you think they are and what it takes to get 2 marks in one subject compared to another subject.
I regret not knowing about this before I had to choose subjects, but you HAVE TO look at these statistics so you can be realistic about achieving a band 6.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2007_12.php

Good luck!

ecd90

HSC
do ones that u will ENJOY, and that you think you'll be good at. theres nothing worse than sittin there trying to study for something boring as hell and that u hate and dont get at all, trust me. also if you pick >10 units then you can drop down to 10 at the end of year 11.

huhwotsthis

HSC
I don't know where you all got the idea that engineering studies scales down. And, Foram, 2 unit maths scaling down from 96 to 93 -- where did you get this information. Also, I'm pretty sure a 99 in gen. maths is 99, not 92. Scaling isn't effective when you do well in a course, LET ALONE ABOVE 90.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
huhwotsthis said:
I don't know where you all got the idea that engineering studies scales down. And, Foram, 2 unit maths scaling down from 96 to 93 -- where did you get this information. Also, I'm pretty sure a 99 in gen. maths is 99, not 92. Scaling isn't effective when you do well in a course, LET ALONE ABOVE 90.
i got the info from the UAC website.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But nevertheless - you should base your decisions on what you want to learn - rather than how well that subject scales. :)

HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to do maths do not do general or you will most likely not get into uni.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Phoenix Fury said:
If you want to do maths do not do general or you will most likely not get into uni.
This is bull. Where the hell are all these stupid 09's coming from??? (that directed only to those who examplify the meaning of "arrogant dickhead", not you other 09's :)

HSC
Uni Grad
I do believe, that I said

Most likely(epic fail by me sorry)

Last edited:

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Phoenix Fury said:
I do believe, if you take the time to read you blind moron, that I said

GENERALLY

I know that this is beyond your intellectual capabilities but do try to read what gets posted.
Actually if you want to read what YOU posted again.
Originally Posted by Phoenix Fury

Nope. Dont see the word generally. I just see. If you want to do maths do not do general or you will most likely not get into uni. Whether you do general maths or not has got nothing to do with whether you get into uni. Its the marks you recieve and the UAI, and the cutoffs for the course.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I have a question.

I'm in the process of choosing YR 11 subjects too.
Im thinking of doing those in my signiture.

However.. I have a problem. See, I LOVE biology. I love love love it. And, although I'm not 100% about what career I would like, I'm thinking it would have something to do with bio. I'm not too keen on maths though, but most uni science courses require it, or it is at least assumed knowledge, yet at the moment I'm not 'acelling' in it (I'm getting in the 80's), nor do I particularly enjoy it.
So what do you guys suggest?

michael1990

HSC
Deer said:
I have a question.

I'm in the process of choosing YR 11 subjects too.
Im thinking of doing those in my signiture.

However.. I have a problem. See, I LOVE biology. I love love love it. And, although I'm not 100% about what career I would like, I'm thinking it would have something to do with bio. I'm not too keen on maths though, but most uni science courses require it, or it is at least assumed knowledge, yet at the moment I'm not 'acelling' in it (I'm getting in the 80's), nor do I particularly enjoy it.
So what do you guys suggest?
Do you do Advanced Mathematics now?
I assume you do, if your're getting 80s thats okay.

Remember most schools give you a grace period to change your subjects. Have a little go at some exercises, see a couple of maths teachers you're friendly with and then take there advice in and decide for yourself.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
as i'm sure many people above me have said, choose subjects based on:
1) whether or not you enjoy or like them
2) whether you think it will be beneficial in one way or another to your future studies/career paths

do not choose subjects based on:
1) if your friends are doing them or not
2) scaling - i did this and picked chemistry and it absolutely screwed me over. i hated it, therefore didnt pay attention, therefore sucked (i didnt actually suck but i wasnt doing anywhere near as well as i was in the other subjects that i enjoyed)

thats all i have to say

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
michael1990 said:
Do you do Advanced Mathematics now?
I assume you do, if your're getting 80s thats okay.

Remember most schools give you a grace period to change your subjects. Have a little go at some exercises, see a couple of maths teachers you're friendly with and then take there advice in and decide for yourself.
Thanks for the help :)
Advanced mathematics? Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that. We only have one level in year 10. And I'm not accelerated in it or anything.

As for your advice, I will do that. My school does allow for change in subjects, and if I find it too hard, or I absolutely can't stand it next year, I think about dropping. And I don't think I would consider general.
Thankyou again!

michael1990

HSC
Deer said:
Thanks for the help :)
Advanced mathematics? Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that. We only have one level in year 10. And I'm not accelerated in it or anything.

As for your advice, I will do that. My school does allow for change in subjects, and if I find it too hard, or I absolutely can't stand it next year, I think about dropping. And I don't think I would consider general.
Thankyou again!
First.

Why would you not consider General Mathematics?

Okay well the only other way you could find out whether you understand the basic concepts is to go to a library and read in a few books about Mathematics or see a friend in a higher year and just ask them about it.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
michael1990 said:
First.

Why would you not consider General Mathematics?

Okay well the only other way you could find out whether you understand the basic concepts is to go to a library and read in a few books about Mathematics or see a friend in a higher year and just ask them about it.
Why would I not consider general?

Well for one, the information I have gathered from lurking around BoS has lead me to believe that it scales really, really, reeeeally poorly. In saying that, I also know not to choose subjects based on scaling, however, if I'm going to put myself through another 2 years of maths, and I am capable of it (even if it takes me a bit more work), I might as well do the one that will get me better marks. Right?
Also, i'm pretty sure the assumed knowledge for most Uni science courses is 2U Mathematics, not Gen.

I have talked to some of my accelerated friends about it, and they think I can handle it.
So I guess I'll pick it and see :)
Thankyou again!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)