• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (4 Viewers)

waterfowl

HSC
Asquithian said:
whats happens in reality however?

christianity is just ANOTHER way to discriminate...

can you tell me christianity doesnt endorse a monoculture of religiuous belief...imagine that?

Muslim is another way to discriminate; Judaism is another way to discriminate; atheism is another way to discriminate; public school vs private school is another way to discriminate!
Every single group and sub-group of human beings can discriminate!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Im with mother Terisa when she said 'god wants muslims to be good muslims and hindues and christians and buddists to be good aswell'.
Ethics is the main thing to take from religion. Christianity is about tolerance and compassion.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Morals and ethics are not dependent upon religion.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
waterfowl, I admire your faith. I really do. I find it really ironic how everyone here is talking about how bigoted and close-minded the naughty little Christians are, and most of you are the ones being judgemental and close-minded. I'm Christian to the extent that I believe in the basic teaching of trying to be kind and loving others. I don't try and impose my beliefs on others, I keep my faith quiet. However what people don't realise is that one of the fundamental beliefs of many faiths is that they must try and "spread the word". A lot of people aren't trying to be narrow minded, they're just trying to follow their fundamental beliefs. Imo, as long as it doesn't cross over to politics, no one has any right to dispute that.

Generator

HSC
N/A
So we must tolerate, or accept, the fact that the Christians think that we should be 'saved'? Isn't that that a mortal insult to those who do not believe?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
In terms of children, religion is one of the best lessons they can learn...to understand the need to give basic dignity of humans, to love one another etc....sensible religion- The religion that has meant so much to human development is something we all crave for. It's a buidling block of humanity.
I dont really believe in god, but i'm very grateful for the foundation i've recieved from sunday school.

waterfowl

HSC
The best scientific minds once thought the earth was flat!
The best scientific minds today say that we evolved from apes!
I'm sure those scientists who believed the earth was flat had "proof" of their own.
I much prefer to believe that I was created by God for a purpose, rather than some random event who is related to a dirty ape.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
waterfowl said:
I'm sure those scientists who believed the earth was flat had "proof" of their own.
No, they had a lack of proof, and so do you. Shut up.

waterfowl

HSC
Generator said:
So we must tolerate, or accept, the fact that the Christians think that we should be 'saved'? Isn't that that a mortal insult to those who do not believe?
Mortal insult, what are you on about?
And stop complaining! I'm sure you don't have Christians trying to save you everyday. And you just shot your whole argument! You said Christians are not tolerant and accepting, and you ask wether you should be tolerant and accepting because you don't believe in being saved!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Iron woman said:
In terms of children, religion is one of the best lessons they can learn...to understand the need to give basic dignity of humans, to love one another etc....sensible religion- The religion that has meant so much to human development is something we all crave for. It's a buidling block of humanity.
I dont really believe in god, but i'm very grateful for the foundation i've recieved from sunday school.
so what you're saying is that we can only have good morals by being religious?

waterfowl

HSC
Generator said:
Mortal insult, what are you on about?
And stop complaining! I'm sure you don't have Christians trying to save you everyday. And you just shot your whole argument! You said Christians are not tolerant and accepting, and you ask wether you should be tolerant and accepting because you don't believe in being saved!

Generator

HSC
N/A
I cannot recall saying that Christians were not tolerant or accepting... I am now saying that they cannot be as tolerant and accepting as they believe if they feel the need to 'save' those who follow another path (be it another religious faith or not).

Last edited:

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
neo_o said:
Sorry for intruding on this delightfully bigoted and extremely pointless conversation, but I would like to just point out that you couldn't tear your way out a paper bag. I cite your "ripping apart" of Christianity thus far in this thread as an example.
I can't seem to recall ever ripping anyone apart in this thread... sorry neo_o it seems you're misreading everything again. All i've done is discuss, nothing more.

waterfowl

HSC
Asquithian said:
you obviously havnt been to uni yet...id say that people activly try to save me at least 5 times a day...and if not their posters are everywhere
So are the posters inviting people to other stuff, including different religions, and what can only be described as satanic stuff (sometimes, do not interpret this as meaning all rock music is satanic - that isnt what I meant).
Why just blame it all on Christians?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
so what you're saying is that we can only have good morals by being religious?
What im saying is that religion has good morals. I dont think it's fair to say that a very young person has the mentality to create their own code of ethics. Religion provides an excellent set of ethics, if taught correctly, that you cant argue with.
It's a great idea to later explore your beliefs and possibly reject the broad concept, but the building blocks of kindness, compassion etc are an invaluable part of the human story.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Iron woman said:
What im saying is that religion has good morals. I dont think it's fair to say that a very young person has the mentality to create their own code of ethics. Religion provides an excellent set of ethics, if taught correctly, that you cant argue with.
It's a great idea to later explore your beliefs and possibly reject the broad concept, but the building blocks of kindness, compassion etc are an invaluable part of the human story.
if there is one thing i hate, its religious people telling me they have greater morals than i simply because they went/go to church.
ive been to a church service a grand total of twice in my life (my christening, and a cousins christening when i was 8), and have been in a church (for weddings, etc) about maybe half a dozen times in my life, i have not been bought up with religious influences, yet i am kind, i have compassion, and all these other things that you claim come through a religious upbringing.

Rorix

HSC
There are a few things that came to me as I read the thread that I think I should point out.

One. People who practice Christianity aren't Christianity itself. In other words, what you think of people that practice Christianity has no bearing on the faith itself. Thus, your anecdotes about the cluelessness of some people are quite irrelevant.

Two. The theory of evolution is not faultless. For example, evolution inherently contains extrapolation, and is subject to infinite regress.

Three. Even Christians themselves acknowledge that they cannot provide conclusive proof that God exists, but it is a matter of belief.

Four. evil_tama has never, ever 'torn anyone apart' in an argument that wasn't a complete retard. I demand citations if this fact is disputed.

Five. Going and trolling a web board because you don't agree with people's beliefs is just stupid. You're like the little kid in the sandbox shouting 'THIS IS MY INTRAWEB AND YOU'LL OBEY MY RULES'. If they actually want to discuss something with you, that's a different matter all together.

malkin86

HSC
Why do science and religion have to contradict anyway? Science could easily be another way of working out how God's creations work...

In neo-Darwinism, you don't absolutely have to have God in the picture - that's one of the perks, I think; free will to make up your own mind about matters of belief.

is a roflcopter
HSC
if by having a faith in something allows the person to contribute positively to society then that should be good enough 'evidence' for me

( THAT MEANS YOU DONT HOG UP THE POSTER BOARD YOU CAMPUS BIBLE STUDY CUNTS)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
well at unsw see the religious groups like to plaster the whole board with their posters...
lol at newcastle everytime i go to psych (which is in one of the biggest lecture theatres we have), theres always stuff all over the blackboards (left over from the old school days, lol) about various productions some religious mob has on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)