• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Circumcision (2 Viewers)

Should circumcision of male infants/children be illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Female circumcision is rightfully illegal. So why aren't those partaking in the practice of male child genital mutilation also charged? What is the difference?

It is child abuse. It is disfiguring somebody else's body without their informed consent.

Why does religion suddenly make it okay? It seems particularly vile for a parent to force their religion on an innocent child in such a permanent and barbaric manner.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-two-young-girls/story-e6frg6nf-1226473556305

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I have the right to butcher my childs dick because god says so

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Peeps dont know what y'all on about.

Male circumcision (outside of religion) is done predominately because medical reasons.
This is why its not illegal.
Female Circumcision is illegal because is provides no medical benefit what so ever and dependent on which type done is purely a way to maintain ownership.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Peeps dont know what y'all on about.

Male circumcision (outside of religion) is done predominately because medical reasons.
This is why its not illegal.
Female Circumcision is illegal because is provides no medical benefit what so ever and dependent on which type done is purely a way to maintain ownership.
Those medical reasons are archaic.

People have the capacity to clean themselves thoroughly on a daily basis, as well as easy access to medical treatment.

Tell me how you're not being a cunt by completely disregarding other peoples opinions.
Well, you're disregarding mine so I'll let you to decide.

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Those medical reasons are archaic.

People have the capacity to clean themselves thoroughly on a daily basis, as well as easy access to medical treatment.

Well, you're disregarding mine so I'll let you to decide.
Go look up phimosis and paraphimosis and get back to me.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, if there's a valid medical reason, sure. I don't disagree with that.

A lot of people still have it done as a preventative thing.

Last edited:

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
In regards to the poll, I don't think it should be illegal. However I do believe that the parents should wait until their son is old enough to make his own decision.

For religious reasons, I find no need for circumcision either but once again, the child should be old enough to make their own decision. So if they want to follow tradition, they can. If they don't, well baptism is fine :)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I find myself agreeing with SnowFox more and more as of lately.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Someone should probably change the name of the thread to infant circumcision.

nahi11

HSC
How the hell do you circumcise a femal.... nevermind.

I think the medical reasons stated above is valid enough for male circumcision.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Well, if there's a valid medical reason, sure. I don't disagree with that.

A lot of people still have it done as a preventative thing.
And?

There is wide range of medical and health benefits from male circumcision. Ear piercing hurts like fuck but its still done to minors, and it has no M/H benefit what so ever.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
And?

There is wide range of medical and health benefits from male circumcision. Ear piercing hurts like fuck but its still done to minors, and it has no M/H benefit what so ever.
Piercing a child's ear against the child's wishes is a crime, and to think body piercing to be analogous to circumcision is at the extreme end of the fucking ludicrously stupid spectrum. But I assume you do realise that the biggest difference between these procedures is that one is reversible. Indeed, it is easily and naturally reversible, which is one of the many reasons why there are no age limitations on body piercing, but it remains illegal to tattoo an under-18. This is why we, in our developed society, afford the child a modicum of autonomy in certain realms - the consequences of a child undergoing a piercing are trivial at best.

But how many kids do you know asking for their penis to be mutilated? Of course, to ask that question is to miss the point; circumcision is performed not on minors who might vocalise a desire - brainwashed or not - to be cirmcucised, but on infants, who by definition cannot verbalize an intent of any kind.

The argument for the health benefits of circumcision are spurious at best. First of all, circumcision is a TREATMENT for phimosis and posthitis among others, much in the same way that an appendectomy is a TREATMENT for appendicitis. To argue that there are health benefits in regards to phimosis is therefore to suggest circumcision is a valid preventative surgery. It is to say your child MIGHT one day suffer this affliction, just as your child MIGHT one day suffer from appendicitis. But do you advocate the removal of appendix from a newborns? I don't even care if you do; any doctor would scoff at the idea and think the parents insane for suggesting appendectomy of an infant as a preventive. But do you know why they don't for circumcision, or at least will acquiesce to a parent's wishes? Because some fucking desert dwellers a few thousand years ago thought it was a good idea, and we've been doing it ever since - with a bunch of contortions along the way, like the notion that circumcision prevents masturbation. The reason it is a legitimate surgery is because of cultural inertia, not enlightenment; parents, drawing on the traditions of their long deceased desert dwelling antecedents, think the uncircumcised penis unclean, unsanitary, and decide that it must go.

Yes, there are other health benefits to circumcision. In the developing world, where HIV/AIDS is rife, circumcision of both infants and adults will undoubtedly save lives, and also contribute to the diminishment of the epidemic. In this circumstance, a right minded person can conclude that the trauma inflicted on an unconsenting infant is justified; particularly as it becomes less and less likely as a person grows older that they will undergo the procedure, for various reasons. In the developed world, the evidence for the health benefits of circumcision are far less convincing. Circumcision does little to prevent the incidence of STIs, though there is evidence that it has a small impact on the transmission of genital herpes (HSV-2). Circumcision also slightly reduces the risk of urinary tract infections and penile cancer, among other things.

Circumcision has a health benefit; a slight reduction of the incidence of certain conditions in adult males. But no studies have concluded that circumcision must be performed on an infant for these benefits to accrue. It is a decision, therefore, that an adult, cognisant of the benefits, is capable of making himself. This ridicules the notions that parents, in their capacity of determining what is best for their child, should have the right to decide whether to inflict a traumatic surgery on an infant; one in which an infant loses a part he was born with; a part of corporeal being.

So stop with the fucking ridiculous propaganda that it is a parent's right to decide whether an unconsenting infant should have a traumatic surgery inflicted upon him for the sake of 'prevention'.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I fucked a guy in his mid 20's who had phimosis, was uncircumcised, and was perfectly healthy, it's really not the absolute indication for circumcision that it's made out to be. Phimosis can be associated with medical complications, but in itself isn't necessarily harmful, plenty of adults live happily with it. I believe it's common for children to be unable to retract the foreskin, but as they age it becomes more mobile, phimosis commonly goes away over time with no intervention

funkshen comparison to appendectomy is a good one, it's unnecessary pre-emptive surgery.

The main evidence for circumcision as I understand it, is in regard to reduced risk for certain STDs - which might justify adult circumcision, but doesn't explain why a possible HIV risk reduction justifies circumcision of an infant.

I don't think anyone has a problem with adult elective circumcision, it's just controversial when it's performed on infants who have no say in the decision.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
It is wrong to circumcise a child unless that child is from a 3rd world country and it is used as a preventative measure against hiv/aids or if the child is from any country and has developed some sort of health problem that requires it. I agree it is rather silly and barbaric to circumcise a child for no reason other than the writing of a self proclaimed islamic scholar a thousand or so years back, particularly as there is no mention of circumcision in the Quran either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)