CityRail on brink of collapse (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
SMH said:
THE CityRail network will reach choking point within four years, despite billions being spent on new trains and the long-delayed Epping to Chatswood Line, the pricing regulator has revealed.

Crowding on trains is worsening by the week, an off-peak ticketing trial that ended in October was a dismal failure, and commuters will have to fork out 25 per cent more for their tickets over the next four years.

By 2012 the morning peak will be so busy new commuters will find no space to squeeze on board. Such overcrowding would cause the timetable to collapse, undermine CityRail's on-time running performance and bring grief to the Rees Government before the 2011 election.

Patronage grew by 5.2 per cent this year, but in peak hour there were 7.2 per cent more commuters on average. And the Inner West line registered a 10.8 per cent increase.

If such growth continued until 2010, 97 per cent of morning peak trains at Redfern would carry more than 135 per cent of seating capacity and on-time running would dive below 70 per cent - 22 percentage points beneath the Government's target - according to research by the Boston Consulting Group.

The dire warning should come as no surprise. In 2001, the Long-Term Strategic Plan for Rail forecast: "By between 2011 and about 2015 the relief provided by [the Clearways Program] will be effectively exhausted and a new rail route through the inner city and the CBD … will be essential."

The Iemma government ignored the forecast and shelved a rail extension program to Sydney's north-west and south-west, and a second line through the CBD and across the harbour.

Last month the Government dumped every significant rail expansion program to which it had previously committed.

It axed the $12.5 billion North West Metro, the $1.36 billion South West rail link and radically cut back the Rail Clearways Program after a series of cost blow-outs.

Now the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal has revealed the rail system is headed for a crash.

In its rail fares report, published yesterday, the tribunal said that despite

more carriages and the Epping to Chatswood line, "if patronage during peak periods continues to grow at current levels, this additional capacity will be exhausted by 2012 at the latest.

"And as the network reaches full capacity, the quality of services will inevitably go down — for example, crowding on trains and in stations will increase, and ultimately reliability will decrease."

Yet the planned CBD Metro between Central and Rozelle will take out the only alignment available to the critical second CBD CityRail line that the Government was told in 2001 must be built.

The $2.35 billion Epping line would provide up to 30 per cent more capacity, said the Minister for Transport, David Campbell.
CityRail on the brink - National - smh.com.au

Uh oh :(

Realistic solutions, anyone? More than a metro needs to be added to Sydney's transport infrastructure, but no-one talks about anything else. :(

I suggest building another big freeway atop of the Cahill Expressway, and building more roads. :mad1:

cxlxoxk

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
CityRail on the brink - National - smh.com.au

Uh oh :(

Realistic solutions, anyone? More than a metro needs to be added to Sydney's transport infrastructure, but no-one talks about anything else. :(

I suggest building another big freeway atop of the Cahill Expressway, and building more roads. :mad1:
I suggest closing the tracks on Boxing Day -> End of Dec and build more tracks/station platforms on the North Shore Line wherever possible. Although it's probably stupid idea, oh and build more trains!

Last edited:

sdent40

HSC
As always whenever something doesn't work, we need more govt funding! MORE MORE MORE MORE! selfish capitalists

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
what about having a train every 5 minutes ON FUCKING TIME in peak hour.

i dont understand how that couldn't work.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
AlleyCat said:

You don't understand much about the limitations of the CityRail system then, comrade.

Jew said:
I don't live in Manly you piece of shit. I don't go anywhere near the spit bridge.
That'sx because I erected a sign that said "No Jews allowed" and decorated it with a Christmas Ham. Now go kill Jesus, bumhole.

EchoRyvre

HSC
Argh. When is the government going to learn that you can't just add-on periodically and everything will be fine? The same thing happened with the roads. To start, Sydney was very small, and when it grew they just made new roads wherever was easiest without looking at the bigger picture.

To use a metaphor a transport network is like a computer. You can add more lines and more carriages, more buses and more roads, but without defragmentation and organisation it's going to be a clogged chaos.

It's going to cost way more than 12 billion, but we need to start from scratch.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Argh. When is the government going to learn that you can't just add-on periodically and everything will be fine? The same thing happened with the roads. To start, Sydney was very small, and when it grew they just made new roads wherever was easiest without looking at the bigger picture.
Sydney's motorway network has been very well planned out with a few possible exceptions (missing CityWest link, no road to Northern Beaches). The problem is that the capacity was very underestimated.

Alleycat said:
can you explain it to me then?
Sure. There aren't enough carriages, stations or customers to justify that level or service. And the whole netowkr is a bit messy. Lots of crossovers - which is what the Clearways project was meant to partially solve before Nathan Rees scrapped it. :)

John Oliver said:
It's really easy. Sell the power companies and other govt assets and PAY FOR IT. THAT WOULD SOLVE ALL OUR FUCKING PROBLEMS.
Some of the transport problems anyway. :(

But I agree with you sir. It's a pity that everyone, from the SA to Barry O'Farrel is so short sighted and inept.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
They need to get the Japs out here and show them how to build a decent rail system.

Lucky i'm not planning on living in Sydney.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
But the density, Mr. Chameleon! The density does not make a Japan style metro system a good idea!

Let's also discuss what to do with the Cahill Expressway while we're here talking transport eh? Everyone seems to want it gone - WHAT'S THE ALTERNATIVE! :burn:

Last edited:

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
Sydney is joke. fuck labor. any1 that votes for labor at the next state election is a Jew.

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
John Oliver said:
Actually I'd say the most likely people to vote labor are those filthy arabs
wtf you got a problem with arabs? huh?

boris

Banned
HSC
I'd say that this problem could be fixed by deporting all the arabs and jews from sydney, back to jewland

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
AlleyCat said:

Limits on the number of trains which can safely go over the bridge each hour (12 total iirc).

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
more trains, is obviously a must, and more in the south west, especially none of this one every two hours crap to the more rural areas of the south west, more people would use the trains which means more money for the new trains.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
big8oyjames said:
Sydney is joke. fuck labor. any1 that votes for labor at the next state election is a Jew.
you would be pretty stupid to, i know i won't be

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
YOU ALL VOTED FOR STATE LABOR MORRIS IEMMA!!!

now suck it.

just get a car, transport is unreliable here. It makes Japan's transport system light years ahead of us compared to theirs.

boris

Banned
HSC
but in japan you can race across the country in a bullet train vs clarkson in a gtr and he will beat you cos i dont know maybe the trains are bad or the car is really fast but theer are still speed limits but maybe cos of all the stopping but the train is actually faster top speed than a gtr but i doubt if it could keep it up the whole way but in the end clarkson won.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)