Civil Engineering @ RMIT (1 Viewer)

mattparis

HSC
Is there anyone here that can let me know if a double degree of Civil and infrastructure engineering + Management is worthwhile? as in does the managment degree actually help in terms of employment?

Actually wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who actually knows how the Civil Eng course is like @ RMIT either, help me out heaps.

Finally, no wanting to start a huge debate, but which is better for civil engineering, RMIT or Melbourne?

Any info at all would help me out guys...

hotdimsim

HSC
I can't say whether the management degree will be helpful for your employment, as its a very ambiguous question. If you plan on entering a managerial role later on then maybe, but only doing the single degree won't disadvantage you as an employer will look more at your work history rather than your degree (for example, someone with experience in management will be given a job in management rather than someone with just a degree, so youll have to do the hard yards regardless) . If your going to do management purely because you think you'll get a better job then i dont think you should be doing it as your not doing the degree as it interests you, and this should be your primary motivation (but then again, do what you think is right, not what someone on a forum thinks is right as we're all different)

In terms of the info for the single course i just completed first year. Its quite a good course and rmit seems commited to its students. The statics lecturer in first semester is very good and the maths lecturers in both semesters run extremely good subjects (i.e. well organised, recorded lectures, always emailing updates to the students, willing to answer q's etc) You'll be doing two 'engineering practice subjects' which are extremely boring but the decent thing is the major marks come from a group project not an exam.

The worst subjects by far are the applied science subjects, where you do physics and chem in one subject (2 hours of lectures per week for each component) The chem lecturer just got fired as he was shit but the physics lecturer is very capable.

Overall the course at rmit is very well run. First year is boring as you dont get into the nitty gritty of civil eng till 2nd year but thats the same for all eng courses.
Be prepared for heaps of group work, they really drill it into you. You also get to make a truss bridge (sem 1) and a beam (sem 2) to test till failure which are good projects to break the monotony somewhat.

Its unfair to compare the two uni's as, at the end of the day, you get the same degree from a very good uni where ever you go. The general consensus is that rmit/monash teach much more 'hands on' (as an example with lots of group projects, building bridges etc) which melbourne dont do as much. They (apparently) tend to focus more on the academic side of it, while rmit/monash try to keep track of industry trends. This may be biast, but i have heard this from someone who worked for bovis lend lease in recruitment as well as my lecturer at rmit. But the recruiter did stress that they dont pick graduates on the uni they went to but their marks and interview etc. So a good melb student will beat a shit rmit student.

Finally, if what i was saying about the course in first year sounds like jargon then have a look at this.

RMIT - BP198 - Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure)

Read that and compare melb to rmit and make your decision based on that.

mattparis

HSC
Thanks man, i looked into it and Melb suits my need more so ive opted for the new model. i have mates who are going to RMIT so we'll see what happens in a couple years.

paddy_mac

HSC
In terms of the info for the single course i just completed first year. Its quite a good course and rmit seems commited to its students. The statics lecturer in first semester is very good jie li yeah? he's awesome and the maths lecturers in both semesters run extremely good subjects agreed (i.e. well organised, recorded lectures, always emailing updates to the students, willing to answer q's etc) You'll be doing two 'engineering practice subjects' which are extremely boring tell me about it, i've got an exam tomorrow and cbf'd but the decent thing is the major marks come from a group project not an exam. which is a relief

The worst subjects by far are the applied science subjects sooo true!, where you do physics and chem in one subject (2 hours of lectures per week for each component) The chem lecturer just got fired the new lecturer should get fired too as he was shit but the physics lecturer is very capable. should be fired aswell
Above.

vce10

HSC
hi
i am an yr12 student who is currently chossing an uni to do engineering
i was wondering
as u said that u got an enter of 91.7
you could have gotten into melbourne and maybe monash
so why did u choose RMIT instead?

paddy_mac

HSC
hi
i am an yr12 student who is currently chossing an uni to do engineering
i was wondering
as u said that u got an enter of 91.7
you could have gotten into melbourne and maybe monash
so why did u choose RMIT instead?
I chose RMIT cause I had to, it was my second preference.
My first preference was indeed Melbourne. Like you said I had the enter, I also had the prerequisites. To this date I still don't know why I didn't get in.
In the end RMIT ironically had the higher entry score (87.1). Monash was my third preference because it was too far away (I didn't get the score anyway) otherwise I would've gone there.

Now if you want to go to Melbourne you'll have to do the Melbourne Model (which I was against) meaning you'll have to do postgrad to get a degree in engineering (masters in engineering in 5 years). I chose Bachelor of Engineering at Melbourne as my first preference, this was the last year for intake though.

My opinion on RMIT, it's pretty well run. It's a much more practical way of learning compared to other varsities. Has bridge competitions, group projects, practicals, labs, etc. The lectures apart from maths and statics which are very good are quite frankly a waste of time. But I got through it :p hopefully it's better next semester. Facilities are good quality, it's close to the city. What more could you want.

From my point of view, definately go for Monash if it's within distance, then RMIT, then Melbourne.

Yeah Melbourne has the reputation but is it worthwhile? The Melbourne Model just seems like a cash grab to be honest.

If you get good results at any university you'll get a good job regardless.

Talk to addikaye if you want more information on Melbourne University, he does BoE but he might have some more info on the MM.

vce10

HSC
thanks a lot
that was really helpfull.
and yes i am very close to monash
so i think i will put it as my first choice. then RMIT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)